The Student Room Group

I'm a woman and I'm not a feminist

I'm not a feminist because I'm an egalitarian.

But I bet some people who read that title suddenly got really angry because they believe I hated myself and was sexist or whatever. But no, I fight for equal rights and it is my choice to "identify" as an egalitarian instead of a feminist.

But for some reason people still hate on me, tell me to kill myself, call me ugly, sexist, racist, misogynist etc, all of which I most certainly am not. Why am I hated on for being an egalitarian? Isn't it a feminist issue that women are discriminated against for their opinions?

Feminism does not own "equality". People, like myself, can want equality and not be a feminist I'm afraid.

Edit: May I highlight the last two sentences above. I want equality but I am not a feminist. Many of you are commenting on this, as it may not make sense to some people. Feminism is not the only ideology to fight for equality. Feminism only happens to be the most mainstream of them all. Many of the ideologies fight for the same things, but all have different aims. I think the definitions make this clear-

Feminism: the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of equality of the sexes
Egalitarianism: believing in or based on the principle that all people are equal and deserve equal rights and opportunities

So yes, you can say I do fight for the same issues as feminism, but I do it under egalitarianism.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

+1!
Third wave feminism is a stain on humanity'
I thought egalitarianism was more to do with equality linked to political and social affairs. But me too I don't identify as a feminist.
Reply 3
Original post by Ladymusiclover
I thought egalitarianism was more to do with equality linked to political and social affairs. But me too I don't identify as a feminist.

I used to think that too! Then I discovered a large community of egalitarians through Instagram and discovered people can be egalitarian too.
People often associate feminism with extreme views. It's the same with other groups; a friend of mine doesn't like the politics of LGBT groups because they have a "if you're not with us, you're against us" mentality i.e. you have to agree with everything they say and have ultra PC views or you're a bigot. Someone actually told him that he's a homophobe even though he's gay. It really does defy belief! The extremists are doing a lot of harm.

I think everyone should be a feminist in the true sense - equality etc. It can mean what you want it to mean.
Reply 5
Original post by YaliaV
People often associate feminism with extreme views. It's the same with other groups; a friend of mine doesn't like the politics of LGBT groups because they have a "if you're not with us, you're against us" mentality i.e. you have to agree with everything they say and have ultra PC views or you're a bigot. Someone actually told him that he's a homophobe even though he's gay. It really does defy belief! The extremists are doing a lot of harm.

I think everyone should be a feminist in the true sense - equality etc. It can mean what you want it to mean.

Everyone should want equality. It's not the extremists that have made me choose egalitarianism over feminism. I feel the definition of egalitarianism fits my beliefs more than the definition of feminism does, that's just me though. (I take the dictionary definition as the definition.)
Original post by emily-brown

But I bet some people who read that title suddenly got really angry because they believe I hated myself and was sexist or whatever. But no, I fight for equal rights and it is my choice to "identify" as an egalitarian instead of a feminist.

But for some reason people still hate on me, tell me to kill myself, call me ugly, sexist, racist, misogynist etc, all of which I most certainly am not. Why am I hated on for being an egalitarian? Isn't it a feminist issue that women are discriminated against for their opinions?

Feminism does not own "equality". People, like myself, can want equality and not be a feminist I'm afraid.

You have gained my respect.

+1
Reply 8
Cue some ridiculous spat mostly between people who actually want and believe the same things, plus a smattering of idiots keen to bash feminism for their own fun and a few people who haven't typed "third wave feminism" in over 24 hours now.
noice
Reply 10

Feminism is not something that can be taken so literally. People assume its a movement towards a Matriarchal society. This is not the case. You can call yourself egalitarian if you like, but it makes no difference, your aims and mine are the same, you just choose to call yourself something else.

What I might draw your attention to, is the fact that when you reject feminism, you reject its history, you reject the women who fought for your rights to the point of death in some cases, and you reject its relevancy, if not in the UK, then in the wider world. Words carry the weight of their history, and the goals and aspirations for the future in their utterance.
:congrats:
Reply 12
Original post by JPO92
Feminism is not something that can be taken so literally. People assume its a movement towards a Matriarchal society. This is not the case. You can call yourself egalitarian if you like, but it makes no difference, your aims and mine are the same, you just choose to call yourself something else.

What I might draw your attention to, is the fact that when you reject feminism, you reject its history, you reject the women who fought for your rights to the point of death in some cases, and you reject its relevancy, if not in the UK, then in the wider world. Words carry the weight of their history, and the goals and aspirations for the future in their utterance.

Very well said.
Reply 13
Original post by offhegoes
Very well said.

Can you tell I'm an English student? haha :bigsmile:
I'm not a feminist because I'm an egalitarian... I fight for equal rights and it is my choice to "identify" as an egalitarian instead of a feminist.

Oh my. Your grasp of feminism is outstandingly poor.
Original post by JPO92

Very nicely articulated; I couldn't agree more myself.

From the fonts, colours, layout, overall presentation to the general message this is the worst meme (or whatever it's even supposed to be) I have ever come across.

I still have absolutely no idea what it's trying to say and I mean dark blue on a black background on an even bigger white background???? Jesus ****.

this doesn't even make sense :dontknow:

x = 5 - π
(edited 8 years ago)
gr8

Worst. Meme. Ever.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending