The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Anyone doing Foundation year with Science or Engineering @ Nottingham?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Lawbringer
I wish the best of luck to you my friend!

thank you! and you too
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
You think they'll give much leniency with grades? non of my current A-level subjects relate to what I want to study but I'm worried I wont meet my offer.
Reply 42
Original post by Trackstar
You think they'll give much leniency with grades? non of my current A-level subjects relate to what I want to study but I'm worried I wont meet my offer.

Are you talking of leniency relating to us foundation students or every applicant in general?

Either ways we definitely get fair marks that represent our efforts during the exams and for in general, I think for less competitive courses, they may do that.

Don't worry, just do your best in your A levels and you'll most probably get in 😊. What course are you applying for?
Original post by Amie_U
Are you talking of leniency relating to us foundation students or every applicant in general?

Either ways we definitely get fair marks that represent our efforts during the exams and for in general, I think for less competitive courses, they may do that.

Don't worry, just do your best in your A levels and you'll most probably get in 😊. What course are you applying for?

Thank you!

I was wondering for just the foundation courses, I've firmed engineering and physical sciences at Notts. None of my A-levels are relevant to the course so just trying to get my head around how they can jude my ability based on irrelevant subjects. Im struggling with my subjects atm.

what about you? what course have you applied for?
Reply 44
Thank you!

I was wondering for just the foundation courses, I've firmed engineering and physical sciences at Notts. None of my A-levels are relevant to the course so just trying to get my head around how they can jude my ability based on irrelevant subjects. Im struggling with my subjects atm.

what about you? what course have you applied for?

Hahaha I wouldn't say there any leniency for us; haven't noticed any. Same over here, I've applied for Law and most of my subjects are not really related to Law aswell. Almost all of them are centred on English or critical thinking which I assume is the bedrock for the course.

One way or they other, they'll have to judge your abilities; what is your requirement to get into Notts?
Original post by Amie_U
Hahaha I wouldn't say there any leniency for us; haven't noticed any. Same over here, I've applied for Law and most of my subjects are not really related to Law aswell. Almost all of them are centred on English or critical thinking which I assume is the bedrock for the course.

One way or they other, they'll have to judge your abilities; what is your requirement to get into Notts?

I see, I'm just not great at my current subjects lol.

The requirements are BBB/ABC
I see, I'm just not great at my current subjects lol.

The requirements are BBB/ABC

Honestly, I am pretty sure if you get maybe BBC they'd let you in. If you get like DDD now that's not good. But in general try aim as high as you can. What are you wanting to do after the 1st year? It's fine if you decide to change it later but there are like 3 types of programs 1) enginnering/comp sci, 2) biology i think and 3) law and that stuff.

Either way, try not to worry too much. But just be careful, lots of the bigger unis southampton etc are in ucas extra, it seems they are being rather picky with who they take in. I wouldn't be suprised if nothing only accept no less than 1 grade lower, because the grades of your A-levels just really show that you can do well in the foundation year, nothing more, so subjects don't matter. A-levels are all pretty hard, even the easiest stuff.
Reply 47
Honestly, I am pretty sure if you get maybe BBC they'd let you in. If you get like DDD now that's not good. But in general try aim as high as you can. What are you wanting to do after the 1st year? It's fine if you decide to change it later but there are like 3 types of programs 1) enginnering/comp sci, 2) biology i think and 3) law and that stuff.

Either way, try not to worry too much. But just be careful, lots of the bigger unis southampton etc are in ucas extra, it seems they are being rather picky with who they take in. I wouldn't be suprised if nothing only accept no less than 1 grade lower, because the grades of your A-levels just really show that you can do well in the foundation year, nothing more, so subjects don't matter. A-levels are all pretty hard, even the easiest stuff.

I agree with this, if you get BBC or maybe even BCC you'll prolly get in. You want to get into Foundation right? because honestly, basically everyone gets into foundation. I just remembered that my requirements were something like BBBBB(a B) in Maths but I got a C in math and AAAB. Not to brag but just do your best, it's only foundation I'm sure you get in cause I remember one of us got a D in maths and she was let in. Stop worrying
Reply 48
Hi ! Im applying for Science with a foundation year as well as the Science with Foundation year with an extra year doing masters for University of Nottingham.
I'll be a mature student and have A*AC but not in relevant subjects, hence the foundation year.
Still waiting to hear from Uni of, good Luck to everyone :smile:

Thanks for the help! didn't get a notification for this:/
Reply 50
Hey guys! I got an unconditional offer last week and I can't wait to go, Nottingham's foundation year is really respected!
Original post by Robfle15
Hey guys! I got an unconditional offer last week and I can't wait to go, Nottingham's foundation year is really respected!

Hey, great to here? How did you get unconditional? What were your grades?

What do you wish to study after the foundation year?

I'm still hearing back from Notts.
Reply 52
Original post by Stegi.mon
Hey, great to here? How did you get unconditional? What were your grades?

What do you wish to study after the foundation year?

I'm still hearing back from Notts.

I got 4 As at AS level and am predicted 3 A*s. I really want to progress onto a physics degree!
Just received my offer of ABC/BBB. Thinking of doing chem eng after.

Elated. Notts was my first choice by far
Reply 54
Foundation year?
I got a conditional offer of BBB or ABC!
Original post by heyimtisha
I got a conditional offer of BBB or ABC!

Congrats!! What do you wanna study after the foundation year?
Original post by Stegi.mon
Congrats!! What do you wanna study after the foundation year?

mechanical engineering, and yourself?
Reply 58
Hi all. I got unconditional offer to do foundation year then mechanical engineering with master.
I can't wait to start, but I hope it's not going to be weird as everyone on here seems to be under or in their early 20s, While I'm nearly 30, I might be older than some of the teaching staff 😂😂
Hey guys,Im a current engineering foundation student, though almost done.If anyone has any queries I'll be happy to help :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending