The Student Room Group

finance for mature students

Hi,

This has probably been asked 1000 times but............

I'm 33, potentially looking to go to university (if I get in), as I understand it, I can apply for a loan for the tutition fees, and then a maintenance loan? For living costs etc Is this right?

I live near Manchester, so initially if I do get in, then I might commute, or most likely a house share, but when I apply for the loan I probably wont have any fixed plans. If that makes any sense.

I live with my Dad, at the moment, I earn about £20k per year. Will the loans people want to means test my Dad aswell. Which is nt a problem.

Also I have 1 default on my credit file. Which is satisfied. Whats the prognosis?
Original post by Nick77
Hi,

This has probably been asked 1000 times but............

I'm 33, potentially looking to go to university (if I get in), as I understand it, I can apply for a loan for the tutition fees, and then a maintenance loan? For living costs etc Is this right?

I live near Manchester, so initially if I do get in, then I might commute, or most likely a house share, but when I apply for the loan I probably wont have any fixed plans. If that makes any sense.

I live with my Dad, at the moment, I earn about £20k per year. Will the loans people want to means test my Dad aswell. Which is nt a problem.

Also I have 1 default on my credit file. Which is satisfied. Whats the prognosis?

No, they definitely won't means test your father because you are a mature student. If he is dependent on you then you may receive a dependents Grant or loan (but you should contact student finance about this in case this has changed this year).

I'm pretty sure they don't check your credit score as it is not the same as a bank loan.

You can get a tuition fee loan if you haven't been to uni before as well as the maintenance loan. How much maintenance you get depends on your circumstances for which you will be asked about on the online form you fill in when you apply to student finance. They then make a decision on how much you receive based on your circumstances

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending