The Student Room Group

Thailand no go zone?

Hi! I'm going on a gap year next year and me and my friend are planning to go to Australia and New Zealand for a few months, but she really wants to go to Thailand. A lot of people have been telling me it's not a great idea for two girls to go on their own in Thailand, and after that girl in the news went missing for a bit I'm being put more and more off! It looks like an amazing country and would love to go there but not at expense of my safety. Looked at extreme gap year to go to Thailand with but it looks a bit vague. Any advice would be great. Thanks
Original post by wpb32
Hi! I'm going on a gap year next year and me and my friend are planning to go to Australia and New Zealand for a few months, but she really wants to go to Thailand. A lot of people have been telling me it's not a great idea for two girls to go on their own in Thailand, and after that girl in the news went missing for a bit I'm being put more and more off! It looks like an amazing country and would love to go there but not at expense of my safety. Looked at extreme gap year to go to Thailand with but it looks a bit vague. Any advice would be great. Thanks

I wouldnt feel safe in a corrupt third world country as a bloke.. never mind a female. Yes that Hannah Witheredge is one of many foreigners who end up deceased in Thailand.

The crime scene photos were horrific
Reply 2
Everywhere isnt safe for females. You'll probably be fine, but you might not. Just take some self-defense lessons and carry a taser each :P
Reply 3
There is no safe country...
Use common sense.
There are safer countries. Common sense would be to avoid the dangerous third world ones
I went to Thailand on my own for three weeks and have never felt as safe anywhere in the world.

To be clear a) I am male, and b) this was before it was a military junta.
If you are a white female you are at extra risk as non whites lust after white women.
Reply 7
I'd offer the same advice to anyone traveling in a foreign land - Have your wits about you. As long as you're careful, nothing terrible can happen.
Try more developed countries as they are safer
I am female. Thailand is amazing. Research, if you like it go there.

Safety? Go to Muay Thai classes to learn their fight style it's awesome. Might even be safer in Thailand than Auz with a load of pissheads and spiders :wink:
TBH the biggest hazard in Thailand for girls is to have a bunch of drugged up Aussie lads run a train on you. If you'd call that a hazard,

In all seriousness though, just use common sense like any other less-developed place. Thumb on your booze bottles, drinks glasses in sight at all times etc etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
Stick to 'touristy' areas, don't get wasted/high when out and you'll be fine. Bangkok is a wonderful city :smile:

Source: I lived in Thailand for 4 years (2006-2010) and travelled around Bangkok by myself a number of times (while 15/6 years old). It should be safe unless you venture into known sketchy areas.
Was in Thailand over Christmas. You'll be too drunk to realise that they have no government.
Original post by Darkphilosopher
Stick to 'touristy' areas, don't get wasted/high when out and you'll be fine. Bangkok is a wonderful city :smile:

Source: I lived in Thailand for 4 years (2006-2010) and travelled around Bangkok by myself a number of times (while 15/6 years old). It should be safe unless you venture into known sketchy areas.

What on earth were you doing travelling foreign countries by yourself at 15?

Original post by Merfie
I'd offer the same advice to anyone traveling in a foreign land - Have your wits about you. As long as you're careful, nothing terrible can happen.

That's not true

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
What on earth were you doing travelling foreign countries by yourself at 15?

That's not true

Posted from TSR Mobile

I lived in Bangkok and even at that age I was about a foot taller than the average Thai.
It's probably best to research travel websites and the foreign office (if you must) and form your own opinion.

I have travelled all over South East Asia alone, I am female and started when I was 27, do some research have a great time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending