The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Americans at Edinburgh?

I'm a student from Philadelphia who'll be attending the university next academic year for IR

I was wondering if any Americans here could tell me how they like the university and the city of Edinburgh?

Thanks!
I'm currently studying at UofE for the semester. I love it so far. I'm two months in! The hardest thing for me to get past is the academic set up. Introductory courses usually have 3 lectures and 1 tutorial in a week. each lasting approx 50 minutes. Also, I'm finding that having no exams other than finals is quite hard. I also don't have any textbooks for my courses which makes me a bit worrisome so I can't really gage how I'm doing academically. I have written more papers here than I have in the states, as I think they put higher importance on that. Also, be aware that they grade a bit more harshly here. I'm a student who routinely makes A's and B's, and I've received high C's on almost all my work. Apparently C's are actually considered average here. B's and A's are harder to obtain!
The city is nice, but this definitely depends on where you are living. I live in old town and find that it's the best location to live. You're close to the uni, princes street, and many attractions. Anything I may want is only 10 minutes max from me! The people are nice and friendly, although you have to keep in mind that the city is a bit touristy. The city is filled with diversity so you never feel like the odd man out or alone. Additionally, I love the scenery! It is a beautiful city and centrally located from the highlands, London, and Wales which helps with travel. I think you'll love it!
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by kristendbaker
I'm currently studying at UofE for the semester. I love it so far. I'm two months in! The hardest thing for me to get past is the academic set up. Introductory courses usually have 3 lectures and 1 tutorial in a week. each lasting approx 50 minutes. Also, I'm finding that having no exams other than finals is quite hard. I also don't have any textbooks for my courses which makes me a bit worrisome so I can't really gage how I'm doing academically. I have written more papers here than I have in the states, as I think they put higher importance on that. Also, be aware that they grade a bit more harshly here. I'm a student who routinely makes A's and B's, and I've received high C's on almost all my work. Apparently C's are actually considered average here. B's and A's are harder to obtain!
The city is nice, but this definitely depends on where you are living. I live in old town and find that it's the best location to live. You're close to the uni, princes street, and many attractions. Anything I may want is only 10 minutes max from me! The people are nice and friendly, although you have to keep in mind that the city is a bit touristy. The city is filled with diversity so you never feel like the odd man out or alone. Additionally, I love the scenery! It is a beautiful city and centrally located from the highlands, London, and Wales which helps with travel. I think you'll love it!

Which accommodation house do you live in? Also which course dod you do? I've heard scottish people are quite racist, is that true?
I live in Robertson's close and like it fairly well. I'm in Medical Biology, Celtic Civilization, and Indigenous Religions. I'm a biology student back in the states but had to get some of the general requirements out of the way.
From my limited experience, I'd say no. Granted Edinburgh is a pretty diverse city so racism here would surprise me. Outside of Edinburgh, I'm unsure of the acceptance of other races.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending