The Student Room Group

Applying to dentistry after a gap year

I am thinking of applying for dentistry after my gap year but i'm unsure of how it would work. If I was to get an offer would it be unconditional seeing as I have already got my grades? Anyone already gone through this process?, any help please :smile:
Offers are always conditional based on passing the fitness to practice assessment that looks at health and background. But technically with the grades in hand if you get an offer it's because you meet all the academic requirements.
Reply 2
Original post by student__1001
I am thinking of applying for dentistry after my gap year but i'm unsure of how it would work. If I was to get an offer would it be unconditional seeing as I have already got my grades? Anyone already gone through this process?, any help please :smile:

Yes it would be, although it could be conditional on whether you have a criminal background check or not, other than that (if your record is clean) then it's unconditional 😁
I thought they did checks once you are a student at the uni? thanks anyways :smile:
Original post by Oil lamp
Yes it would be, although it could be conditional on whether you have a criminal background check or not, other than that (if your record is clean) then it's unconditional 😁
Oh okay :smile:
Original post by Quilverine
Offers are always conditional based on passing the fitness to practice assessment that looks at health and background. But technically with the grades in hand if you get an offer it's because you meet all the academic requirements.
If they ran checks after you start and you fail then that's a place they have wasted. Medicine and dentistry are really strictly governed in terms of how many students that take on each year.

You can Google the requirements laid out by the GDC and/or GMC to check you'd be okay. Basically you'll be fine unless you've been convicted of rape/murder/assault and/or have a seriously communicable disease or a disability that means you would be completely unable to practice. They are pretty good about inclusivity though so some disabilities aren't seen as a problem.
Reply 6
Original post by student__1001
I thought they did checks once you are a student at the uni? thanks anyways :smile:

Some unis depend. Exeter for example although it's unconditional in terms of academics it's still a conditional because one of the conditions is that you have no problems with your criminal record or dbs

Quick Reply

Latest