The Student Room Group

Confused after interview about University offers!

Hi everyone, if anyone can help me with this I would be so grateful.

I had a University interview today which went extremely well. I won't say where it was but basically the course I applied for has numerous pathways.

The interviewer of the course explained that one purpose of looking through my portfolio (it is an arts based course) is to assess and discuss which course I might be suited to.

Funnily enough, there were actually two pathways I was extremely interested in, but the one I hadn't applied for via Ucas was one I didn't think i'd be quite ready for yet, didn't have the right things in my portfolio etc.

But basically throughout the interview the tutor said that I'd be more than qualified and ready for either course, and can see I would be suited to either course. They even said "I would love to have you on this course, but I could also offer you a place on (alternative course)".

I was pretty over the moon to hear this because I didn't even think the other course was a possibility for me, and strangely I hadn't expressed my interest for it but the tutor naturally picked up from my work that I would be suited to it.

She said briefly something about being able to make me an offer but for two of the different pathways. I can't remember her exact words, the whole interview is a bit of a blur, but that's what she seemed to be saying, that I would be given the opportunity to consider either course.

This has thrown a pretty big spanner in the works, a good one!, so I've come home and have been researching about offers. But I'm baffled, as no where seems to state whether a University can make you an offer but state they will consider you for two courses. I haven't applied for the both courses as choices on Ucas, only one, but was told the above in the interview today.

I'm not just assuming I have a place, it isn't confirmed, but the interviewer basically told me outright, I am shocked and I guess it would be very odd if they went back on it and my application was declined. They were very complimentary of my work and seemed very interested in having me on the course.

Does anyone know whether a University can make you an offer for two courses? I have done infinite google searches and can't find the answers. The only reason I'm a little worried is because, at the end of the day if I could get onto the course I didn't think I had a chance of getting onto, I'd definitely choose that, but it isn't the one on my Ucas. I am really confused and don't know whether I should even contact them and confirm which course I definitely want to be considered for!?

It's just strange that I can't find any information at all about this situation.

If anyone knows anything about this and can shed some light I will be really grateful, thanks so much!
Original post by ChloeEleanorT
Hi everyone, if anyone can help me with this I would be so grateful.

I had a University interview today which went extremely well. I won't say where it was but basically the course I applied for has numerous pathways.

The interviewer of the course explained that one purpose of looking through my portfolio (it is an arts based course) is to assess and discuss which course I might be suited to.

Funnily enough, there were actually two pathways I was extremely interested in, but the one I hadn't applied for via Ucas was one I didn't think i'd be quite ready for yet, didn't have the right things in my portfolio etc.

But basically throughout the interview the tutor said that I'd be more than qualified and ready for either course, and can see I would be suited to either course. They even said "I would love to have you on this course, but I could also offer you a place on (alternative course)".

I was pretty over the moon to hear this because I didn't even think the other course was a possibility for me, and strangely I hadn't expressed my interest for it but the tutor naturally picked up from my work that I would be suited to it.

She said briefly something about being able to make me an offer but for two of the different pathways. I can't remember her exact words, the whole interview is a bit of a blur, but that's what she seemed to be saying, that I would be given the opportunity to consider either course.

This has thrown a pretty big spanner in the works, a good one!, so I've come home and have been researching about offers. But I'm baffled, as no where seems to state whether a University can make you an offer but state they will consider you for two courses. I haven't applied for the both courses as choices on Ucas, only one, but was told the above in the interview today.

I'm not just assuming I have a place, it isn't confirmed, but the interviewer basically told me outright, I am shocked and I guess it would be very odd if they went back on it and my application was declined. They were very complimentary of my work and seemed very interested in having me on the course.

Does anyone know whether a University can make you an offer for two courses? I have done infinite google searches and can't find the answers. The only reason I'm a little worried is because, at the end of the day if I could get onto the course I didn't think I had a chance of getting onto, I'd definitely choose that, but it isn't the one on my Ucas. I am really confused and don't know whether I should even contact them and confirm which course I definitely want to be considered for!?

It's just strange that I can't find any information at all about this situation.

If anyone knows anything about this and can shed some light I will be really grateful, thanks so much!

Wow! That sounds like a great interview/day.

Technically a university can't make an offer covering 2 courses - but what they'll usually do in this situation is give you some time to think and then ask which course you'd prefer and make the formal UCAS offer for that course.

If you have a definite preference for the other course then letting them know ASAP will get you an offer through quicker. Or if you're undecided then let them know that you need a bit more time before anything gets changed officially.
Hi PQ, thank you very much for your advice and apologies for the delay in response.

What ended up happening is rather strange, a couple of days after my interview I contacted their admissions team and discussed the situation. They were extremely helpful and I was advised that they would be contacting me when they had received my forms back from the tutor who interviewed me, and would be talking to the tutors of both courses. I waited a few days for a response whilst still considering my options but after contemplation, realized the second course they suggested to me may be a better fit for my long term career prospects.

However, without any further communication from the tutors or admissions team, I received an offer the other day for the original course I applied for. Strange considering the discussions we had in the interview and the plan I had made with the admissions team! I am nevertheless extremely pleased with my offer but must admit I have found the experience just rather odd. I suppose they felt on reflection I was better suited to the original course I applied to, which is fine, and great, but perhaps it may have been better to not mention about the other course. Ah well, who knows. Overall I am still pleased with the result though. Thanks again for responding.
Original post by ChloeEleanorT
Hi PQ, thank you very much for your advice and apologies for the delay in response.

What ended up happening is rather strange, a couple of days after my interview I contacted their admissions team and discussed the situation. They were extremely helpful and I was advised that they would be contacting me when they had received my forms back from the tutor who interviewed me, and would be talking to the tutors of both courses. I waited a few days for a response whilst still considering my options but after contemplation, realized the second course they suggested to me may be a better fit for my long term career prospects.

However, without any further communication from the tutors or admissions team, I received an offer the other day for the original course I applied for. Strange considering the discussions we had in the interview and the plan I had made with the admissions team! I am nevertheless extremely pleased with my offer but must admit I have found the experience just rather odd. I suppose they felt on reflection I was better suited to the original course I applied to, which is fine, and great, but perhaps it may have been better to not mention about the other course. Ah well, who knows. Overall I am still pleased with the result though. Thanks again for responding.

You could still query it before accepting, I've know people that have done so. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest