The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Can I Change My Course Application?

Hello everyone :smile:

I applied to Durham for Education Studies with Geography instead of the course I originally wanted to take, Combined Honours in Social Sciences, because my predicted grades suited Education Studies more, and I was (and still am) unsure about my future career plans. However, since receiving an offer for Education Studies I have really regretted not applying for Combined Honours. I'm not sure if there's anything I can do- my predicted grades are AAA but the entry requirements are A*AA. I know some universities take other factors into consideration and I am from a low income background, but I've been told by other sources that it's too late to change courses as my application has been sent since November and I used up all five choices.

I'm sorry if I'm just confirming what I already think I know (there's no use in trying to change my application), but would there be a chance for me to switch from Education to Combined Honours at this point in the year? (pre-firm and insurance confirmation)
Reply 1
Hi,
There may be a chance that the university let's you switch course after you've firmed it and achieved the grades (assuming that they are still places available on the course).
I personally applied for Natural Sciences with Biology and Physics but had no problem in switching to Biology and Geography during module confirmation. However, there is a risk in doing so because should they reject it, you will be stuck with a course that may not interest you.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Best thing to do is to ring up or email the director of department of social sciences and discuss your situation. Explain why you would like to change and maybe offer to do another personal statement. I changed my course from Chemistry to Natural Sciences in early January. Hope this may help.
Thank you both for replying! I'll email the department, good idea. Initially I wasn't thinking about firming Durham, but if I could get a change in course it would probably change my mind.
Original post by FizzyTrev
Hello everyone :smile:

I applied to Durham for Education Studies with Geography instead of the course I originally wanted to take, Combined Honours in Social Sciences, because my predicted grades suited Education Studies more, and I was (and still am) unsure about my future career plans. However, since receiving an offer for Education Studies I have really regretted not applying for Combined Honours. I'm not sure if there's anything I can do- my predicted grades are AAA but the entry requirements are A*AA. I know some universities take other factors into consideration and I am from a low income background, but I've been told by other sources that it's too late to change courses as my application has been sent since November and I used up all five choices.

I'm sorry if I'm just confirming what I already think I know (there's no use in trying to change my application), but would there be a chance for me to switch from Education to Combined Honours at this point in the year? (pre-firm and insurance confirmation)

I originally applied for Geography and realised about a month ago that I would rather do PPE. I emailed admissions, they forwarded my request to the departments and two weeks later I got an offer for PPE. So it's definitely worth emailing admissions and requesting the change.
Original post by lazatron3000
I originally applied for Geography and realised about a month ago that I would rather do PPE. I emailed admissions, they forwarded my request to the departments and two weeks later I got an offer for PPE. So it's definitely worth emailing admissions and requesting the change.

That's amazing! Well done for receiving a second offer! May I ask what you included in your email?
Original post by FizzyTrev
That's amazing! Well done for receiving a second offer! May I ask what you included in your email?

Thank you! I started by quoting my UCAS ID and all that and what subjects I study. I then basically just explained why I wanted to change, and what particularly interested me about PPE, making it clear I had given it a lot of thought. I then offered to send them a personal statement, but they didn't ask for that.

Quick Reply

Latest