The Student Room Group
University campus
University of Winchester
Winchester

Accommodation for September 2016 (Winchester)

Well, as I have firmed Winchester for Journalism, now I am looking for accommodation and I feel like I need some advice in order to make a decision because I am not quite sure of which one I should apply to.

I have heard some people saying that Queen twin room is a good option and others saying that West Downs en suite (pls someone tell me what exactly means en suite lol) is a good one too, but as I said I am not sure.

Sooo, if you have any advice please let me know! And if you are also going there in September then comment here too lol I would like to know who else is coming!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hiya! Im going to be studying English Literature at Winchester and am really excited!

Ensuite basically means you have your own bathroom. Ive applied to stay at West downs (ensuite). Although its a lot older than Burma and Queens, it is still in very good condition, has everything you will need, and is so much cheaper than the other two! I personally wouldnt want a twin room because I would rather have my own space but that obviously depends on peoples financial situation which is understandable.

I dont mind not living somewhere thats brand spanking new, cause at the end of the day im saving more money which can be used to go out and party with 😊

Hope this has helped in some way? Get in touch if you like 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
University campus
University of Winchester
Winchester
Reply 2
Original post by melseamoo98
Hiya! Im going to be studying English Literature at Winchester and am really excited!

Ensuite basically means you have your own bathroom. Ive applied to stay at West downs (ensuite). Although its a lot older than Burma and Queens, it is still in very good condition, has everything you will need, and is so much cheaper than the other two! I personally wouldnt want a twin room because I would rather have my own space but that obviously depends on peoples financial situation which is understandable.

I dont mind not living somewhere thats brand spanking new, cause at the end of the day im saving more money which can be used to go out and party with 😊

Hope this has helped in some way? Get in touch if you like 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! Thank you for the advice, I have also applied to an en suite room in West Downs haha such a coincidence! I have chosen Queens (en suite too) as my second option; and as a third; a twin room because I want to save money but I reallyyy hope to get in West Downs tho. Which were your other choices? :smile:
My other choices were Queens then Burma... I applied on the first day the applications were open and its first come first serve so im pretty confident I will get the accomodation I want. Im getting so excited for it all though arnt you!? Im going to the applicant day in March, cant wait to be back there! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by melseamoo98
My other choices were Queens then Burma... I applied on the first day the applications were open and its first come first serve so im pretty confident I will get the accomodation I want. Im getting so excited for it all though arnt you!? Im going to the applicant day in March, cant wait to be back there! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh I wish I could go in March, but I live in Peru and I will be just moving to Winchester on the mid of September (as I read something abt a welcome week up from september 17th or so) so currently I feel nervous bc it is all new to me but also really excited about it! :smile: Hopefully we will see each other in West Downs! (fingers crossed lol)
i feel like i'm the only person who's actually applied for catered housing, haha.
I think majority go for self catered because it allows us to eat what we want when we want it and you know you will be eating exactly what you want to eat (thats why ive gone for self catered anyway.) Also theres no pressure in having to eat your meals at certain times of day... if i wanna wake up late and eat breakfast at 12 then thats exactly what im gunna do!! :biggrin:

It is all preference though isnt it, some people might prefer that structure or might just be awful cooks! if your happy with catered then who cares what everyone else is doing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
it's a benefit for me, because it means i'm probably guaranteed housing, haha. probably helps that i'm really unfussy about what i eat too, and i do prefer having a structured eating schedule. like you said, it's all down to personal preference.
Exactly everyones different! If it works for you then who cares haha
Hi guys,

I also firmed Winchester a couple days ago (for classics) and was looking at the accommodation but I was leaning more towards Burma (en suite) but it's way more expensive. Do you think that choosing west downs would be any worse. I'm more concerned about the bathroom more than anything else, hence why i chose ensuite :biggrin:) also, is anyone thinking of getting house rather than halls?
(edited 7 years ago)
I have a friend staying in West Downs at the moment and her bathroom is nice, perfectly useable and clean. The kitchens are a little more dated there but when you're saving hundreds of pounds I think its worth it! :biggrin: I dont think it helps that there isnt much visual wise on what the interior of all the accomodation is like which is a pain if you cant get down there to go on a tour :/
Reply 11
Westdowns is pretty clean, I guess it depends on what students you are sharing with. Bare in mind there is family accommodation for student parents on Westdowns. The uni do not advertise it well and lead families to believe that they will be on a separate (quiet) side of campus to the younger students, but they aren't, they are scattered across the campus. It is frustrating for both. Parents are annoyed with the noise because their children are trying to sleep and students obviously want to do what typical students do and be loud and party. oh and westdowns is supposed to be the quiet campus of them all, but its probably the loudest.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
helloo!! I've also put Winchester as my firm choice to study Journalism too! The university is so beautiful, I'm so excited :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Lucero051299
Well, as I have firmed Winchester for Journalism, now I am looking for accommodation and I feel like I need some advice in order to make a decision because I am not quite sure of which one I should apply to.

I have heard some people saying that Queen twin room is a good option and others saying that West Downs en suite (pls someone tell me what exactly means en suite lol) is a good one too, but as I said I am not sure.

Sooo, if you have any advice please let me know! And if you are also going there in September then comment here too lol I would like to know who else is coming!

I have applied for Law at winchester. I went for Queens and Burma en suite as my top two choices! Would be good to hear from any others going there? haha!
I've applied for queens and Burma too!
I've applied for West Downs, ha anyone else got their offer of a room yet?
Original post by rachelmary97
I've applied for West Downs, ha anyone else got their offer of a room yet?

Yes! Im in West Downs too, flat 66/5 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
i just got my offer for my ensuite in Burma Road
Reply 18
Hi! I've applied for Forensic Studies and I've got my housing allocation today! I'm in Queens- anyone else? 🤗
I'll be staying in queens rd! Flat 65

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending