The Student Room Group

Course transfer before coming to university

Hi everyone, hope your applications are going well and that you've all received a bunch of offers from your choices.

I've recently received offers from my choices (UCL, Warwick, Edinburgh and Manchester) to study Chemical Engineering (General Engineering at Warwick). The thing is, recently I've been attending Computer Science lectures at a local university and programming in my free time, and I absolutely LOVE IT. I've also been reading a lot about AI, and I just can't stop it's so interesting. So I've decided that I want to study Computer Science, how unfortunate though that I figured this out AFTER I sent my application.

So I'm wondering how I should go about this? I've looked at the entry requirements, and they are practically identical for each course. Should I email the admissions office and ask them if I can transfer? What exactly should I include in this email?

I feel terribly rude for asking for a transfer right after getting my offers. It's not that I don't like Chemical Engineering, I think I would quite enjoy it. But I feel that I'm just so much more interested in Computer Science, and to me that interest will be a huge driving force that I believe will aid me greatly in my studies.

All replies are appreciated! Cheers!
Original post by differential96
Hi everyone, hope your applications are going well and that you've all received a bunch of offers from your choices.

I've recently received offers from my choices (UCL, Warwick, Edinburgh and Manchester) to study Chemical Engineering (General Engineering at Warwick). The thing is, recently I've been attending Computer Science lectures at a local university and programming in my free time, and I absolutely LOVE IT. I've also been reading a lot about AI, and I just can't stop it's so interesting. So I've decided that I want to study Computer Science, how unfortunate though that I figured this out AFTER I sent my application.

So I'm wondering how I should go about this? I've looked at the entry requirements, and they are practically identical for each course. Should I email the admissions office and ask them if I can transfer? What exactly should I include in this email?

I feel terribly rude for asking for a transfer right after getting my offers. It's not that I don't like Chemical Engineering, I think I would quite enjoy it. But I feel that I'm just so much more interested in Computer Science, and to me that interest will be a huge driving force that I believe will aid me greatly in my studies.

The only people who can tell you this are the universities concerned. Contacting them before results and before you get there will simplify things greatly. Certainly you should not embark on a course your heart is not in. Call and discuss it. I'm sure at least one or two will be prepared to consider it.
Original post by differential96

Don't worry about feeling rude.

Contact each of your choices and explain what you have above about your recent interest in comp sci. Ask if they can reconsider your application for their courses (do your research and ask for a specific course offered by each university - some will offer AI options as a distinct course etc so pick a specific UCAS course code for each that you're interested in).

They'll either say "no we wont consider you for another course", "yes we'll consider you but you might not get an offer" or "yes you can have an offer now"...they might ask for a second PS to be sent to them directly.

If they say no then you've lost nothing - they've just lost the opportunity to attract a talented high achieving student paying £9k a year.

Either way by asking you know where you stand and you'll be able to make your decisions in April based on whether your offers are for chemeng or compsci.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending