The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

2016 Hull Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ltx
Hello! I will be studying biology there so I'm guessing we will cross paths. I'm coming up from the Midlands.

Hey (: ive applied to biology and assuming i get the entry grades (which i think i will ) would be great to maybe have a chat and know someone who might be on my course.
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Original post by Gemmakid97
i'll be studying zoology also and I'm from Norfolk :smile:

I'm also from Norfolk... Thrilling place, ain't it. Gonna be studying Physics with Astrophysics if all goes well in these next few weeks haha.
Original post by sophiestreet
I'm also from Norfolk... Thrilling place, ain't it. Gonna be studying Physics with Astrophysics if all goes well in these next few weeks haha.

Yay, more girls in Physics. Good luck!! I won't get to meet you as I'm graduating this year with an MPhys but I've really enjoyed doing Physics at Hull and I hope you do too. You should join the Physics Society too, they do loads of socials and I've been to CERN twice with them. I'm happy to answer any questions.

(Straight physics and the astro course are quite similar, I just didn't do all the astro modules but I know several people who are on the Physics with Astro course)
Original post by Midnight Star
Yay, more girls in Physics. Good luck!! I won't get to meet you as I'm graduating this year with an MPhys but I've really enjoyed doing Physics at Hull and I hope you do too. You should join the Physics Society too, they do loads of socials and I've been to CERN twice with them. I'm happy to answer any questions.

(Straight physics and the astro course are quite similar, I just didn't do all the astro modules but I know several people who are on the Physics with Astro course)

Haha, yay!! Thank you! Aww that's a shame, but well done on graduating n that! I'm hoping to do a masters at some point too...
Me too! I really loved the whole atmosphere of the place when I went on an applicant day so I think I'm gonna enjoy it. Ooh excellent. I definitely will!! Cool, thank you! What accommodation did you stay in in first year btw? If I think of any burning questions I'll be sure to give you a shout haha
Haha, yay!! Thank you! Aww that's a shame, but well done on graduating n that! I'm hoping to do a masters at some point too...
Me too! I really loved the whole atmosphere of the place when I went on an applicant day so I think I'm gonna enjoy it. Ooh excellent. I definitely will!! Cool, thank you! What accommodation did you stay in in first year btw? If I think of any burning questions I'll be sure to give you a shout haha

Thanks!! I've not graduated just yet, I'm currently in the middle of exams (got one tomorrow) and writing my dissertation (due in next Monday) so it's really scary.

I'm doing an undergraduate masters, so I've basically done 4 years instead of 3 without graduating first. I actually started on the BSc and switched up at the end of second year. It's actually really easy to switch up so if you decide you want to later, it's not difficult.

I stayed in the Lawns (Downs Hall, B Block) and I really enjoyed it. It was quite sociable and I made some good friends and had some good times there. I have a tiny room at home so went there and my room seemed massive. I also had a super comfy bed and the showers there are really powerful. We had a few problems with idiots nicking food so ended up basically keeping all my food in my room but aside from that had no problems.
Thanks!! I've not graduated just yet, I'm currently in the middle of exams (got one tomorrow) and writing my dissertation (due in next Monday) so it's really scary.

I'm doing an undergraduate masters, so I've basically done 4 years instead of 3 without graduating first. I actually started on the BSc and switched up at the end of second year. It's actually really easy to switch up so if you decide you want to later, it's not difficult.

I stayed in the Lawns (Downs Hall, B Block) and I really enjoyed it. It was quite sociable and I made some good friends and had some good times there. I have a tiny room at home so went there and my room seemed massive. I also had a super comfy bed and the showers there are really powerful. We had a few problems with idiots nicking food so ended up basically keeping all my food in my room but aside from that had no problems.

Ahh I see, well good luck with your exams/dissertation! I've got an exam tomorrow too, AS Maths resit. Thrilling haha.

Oh cool, I was considering doing that tbh. Good to know it's not too much of a hassle to switch up!

I just got my contract through today, I'm in Nicholson Hall in the Lawns. Yeah, I picked it because a lot of people had said that it was the most social place to be. Same, omg, my room is so small, I'm looking forward to actually having some space, haha!

Is the physics course massively difficult? I'm not a genius and am slightly worried I won't be clever enough to do well (I know that sounds ridiculous but still..).
Ahh I see, well good luck with your exams/dissertation! I've got an exam tomorrow too, AS Maths resit. Thrilling haha.

Oh cool, I was considering doing that tbh. Good to know it's not too much of a hassle to switch up!

I just got my contract through today, I'm in Nicholson Hall in the Lawns. Yeah, I picked it because a lot of people had said that it was the most social place to be. Same, omg, my room is so small, I'm looking forward to actually having some space, haha!

Is the physics course massively difficult? I'm not a genius and am slightly worried I won't be clever enough to do well (I know that sounds ridiculous but still..).

Thanks!! I'll need it. Good luck with your exam too!! We use an awful lot of maths on our course (like integration and differentiation) so being used to it will help but even if you struggle, we have a maths module in the first two years which recaps all of core A-level maths and then goes on a bit past that to make sure everyone is capable of the maths we need.

Ooh Nicholson, that's the self-catered one, right? Are you good at cooking?

Well, I'm not going to say it is easy, if you don't put the work in you won't do well. However everything is achievable, basically how well you do directly depends on how much work you put in. If you put the work in, you can do amazing. I actually found my first few years easier than A-levels, the volume of work increases but I think the steepness of the learning curve drops a little so it is all doable. I really struggled in my A-levels but I'm doing much better grade wise here but you just have to put the time and effort in.
Thanks!! I'll need it. Good luck with your exam too!! We use an awful lot of maths on our course (like integration and differentiation) so being used to it will help but even if you struggle, we have a maths module in the first two years which recaps all of core A-level maths and then goes on a bit past that to make sure everyone is capable of the maths we need.

Ooh Nicholson, that's the self-catered one, right? Are you good at cooking?

Well, I'm not going to say it is easy, if you don't put the work in you won't do well. However everything is achievable, basically how well you do directly depends on how much work you put in. If you put the work in, you can do amazing. I actually found my first few years easier than A-levels, the volume of work increases but I think the steepness of the learning curve drops a little so it is all doable. I really struggled in my A-levels but I'm doing much better grade wise here but you just have to put the time and effort in.

Thanks!! Ahh excellent. I love integration and differentiation.. Dunno why. It's one of my favourite bits haha. Oh cool, that sounds handy. Good job tho cos I'm probably going to forget a lot of it over the summer haha

It is! Welllll kinda. I make a decent pasta bake and a fairly good shepherds pie... I'm just gonna have to live on that for the whole year haha

Fair enough. I'm planning on working hard, definitely. I think I'll be more motivated than I was with A-levels tbh. I find them a bit dull. Excellent. A lot of people I know have said that actually; that the first year of their degree was easier than A-levels... Yeah I've found A-levels a tad tricky. The jump from GCSE is quite big I guess, in terms of independent study (I managed to get away with practically none at GCSE but obviously you can't do the same for A-levels). Thanks for the advice!
Thanks!! Ahh excellent. I love integration and differentiation.. Dunno why. It's one of my favourite bits haha. Oh cool, that sounds handy. Good job tho cos I'm probably going to forget a lot of it over the summer haha

It is! Welllll kinda. I make a decent pasta bake and a fairly good shepherds pie... I'm just gonna have to live on that for the whole year haha

Fair enough. I'm planning on working hard, definitely. I think I'll be more motivated than I was with A-levels tbh. I find them a bit dull. Excellent. A lot of people I know have said that actually; that the first year of their degree was easier than A-levels... Yeah I've found A-levels a tad tricky. The jump from GCSE is quite big I guess, in terms of independent study (I managed to get away with practically none at GCSE but obviously you can't do the same for A-levels). Thanks for the advice!

Ooooh, in terms of cooking, try using sausages and cutting them up into little cubes/cylinders and cooking them, they make cheap easy tasty meatballs. Also separating sausages into pairs and putting them in freezer/sandwich bags before freezing them is also a good idea so they don't all stick together. I'd also advise bringing tongs, a colander and a timer, a few useful things that you might not consider.

I say work hard but also don't forget to make the most of first year. In first year your grades don't go towards your final degree, you only need to pass (40%) each module. It does make a helpful foundation for future years though, so don't slack off too much. My point is though, in later years you'll have a lot more work and a lot less free time so make the most of your first year. Go out, make friends, make memories, take lots of photos. Work hard, play hard and don't procrastinate your time away on the computer.
Original post by Maxvo2
Hey this is a forum for people who have applied for Hull university where you can talk about what your going to study and where you come from, also other various discussions about Hull university, e.g. what accommodation people will be applying for and society's you would like to join etc.

I've got an offer to study zoology which i'm happy with so anyone applying for zoology message me! i will be coming up from London!

Hey! I will be there doing zoology too. I will be coming up from the midlands.
Ooooh, in terms of cooking, try using sausages and cutting them up into little cubes/cylinders and cooking them, they make cheap easy tasty meatballs. Also separating sausages into pairs and putting them in freezer/sandwich bags before freezing them is also a good idea so they don't all stick together. I'd also advise bringing tongs, a colander and a timer, a few useful things that you might not consider.

I say work hard but also don't forget to make the most of first year. In first year your grades don't go towards your final degree, you only need to pass (40%) each module. It does make a helpful foundation for future years though, so don't slack off too much. My point is though, in later years you'll have a lot more work and a lot less free time so make the most of your first year. Go out, make friends, make memories, take lots of photos. Work hard, play hard and don't procrastinate your time away on the computer.

Ooh yum, taa v'ry much. I was already planning on bringing a colander; can't make decent pasta without one haha

I was wondering about that actually. Totally. Work hard, play hard is literally my form tutor's motto. She's been drumming it into my brain since year 7 so I'm deffo gonna try and live by that haha. Thanks so much for all the advice n stuff tho 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hannahlt1998
Hey! I will be there doing zoology too. I will be coming up from the midlands.

Cool stuff. You know what accommodation you're in yet??

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've already been here a year but I've switched courses for next year to zoology with foundation year!

If anyone has any questions about Hull feel free to ask
Reply 33
Awesome, hopefully i see you around!
Going to be studying Computer Science this September :smile:
Original post by Deeboss
Going to be studying Computer Science this September :smile:

see you their pal
Reckitt Hall- RECKTC25A?? Anyone?
Original post by Ltx
I'll be living in Scarborough and driving down every day. I'd love to live in halls again but I am 26 and have two children so I don't think it would be that appropriate anymore :wink:

Ill be living in Bridlington and driving through every day, I'm 24 and thought exactly the same thing! what course will you be studying?
Anyone else in 51 Cranbrook Avenue next year?
hey any postgrads about?

Quick Reply

Latest