The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by z33
that moment when you're in year 13, didn't even apply to uni and still have no idea what you wanna do :sigh:

Okay remind me what 13 is... Is it last year of college?
Loads of unis will still accept you if your grades were just a lottle less than your offer so don't worry about that. Your grades were goo too.

What do you enjoy or are you good at? Most people still don't know what they want to do when they're leaving uni so don't worry about that. For now just follow what you enjoy.

Do try to get ontop of applying to unis soon. You can always ask your college for some help with your personal statement etc (college was a while ago for me now so i don't really remember much of the process). Have you considered options like a gap year or going straight to working/ internships. Uni isn't what all people want to do so if you aren't sure look into it. Depending on what you might like to do for work you could be just as well off going straight into it.

Anyway the main point is don't freak out too much. Despite what all your lecturers are probably telling you, this is not the end of the world. You still have options even if you do mess up now.
Original post by ravioliyears
Aspirations, Goals and the Future

Spoiler

Hey, thanks for tagging me in. Looking forward to reading through what you have to say. :smile:

That’s really bad. I’m already in Year 12 and should have an idea on what I want to do in the future. But oh wellsies.

The universities I would like to apply to are Southampton, Bristol, Nottingham, Leicester and Queen Mary’s London.

These universities that I have applied to also require high grades, three of which wants an A*AA (Southampton, Nottingham andBristol), hence I’ve applied to two lower requirement universities just in caseI don’t get the grades.

I keep telling myself to stop ranting because I have to live with what I have,

Reading back at this, I really do sound like an idiot LOOOOOL.

Spoiler

Most people still have no idea what they want to do when they leave uni. Trust me it's not that bad. You will change views a bit at college but even if you aren't sure by the end of that you stil have time to work it out.

My brother went to Nottingham. Percistenc and making himself stand out went a long way and will with most unis. Try to add something unique to your personal statement and show your enthusiasm for the course. If you really like a paticular uni angle your ps a little towards what you know about that place and what they think is important.

Grades do matter obviously, but if you are a little under what you expected they may still consider you. I got into my first choice with lower than expected and so did others I know. A strong ps will get you a long way. And anyway you have some more safe options in there too so there is no harm in reaching for the stars a bit.

If there is anything i have learned during my time it's you need to let yourself have a good rant once in a while. It isn't good to constantly wallow in self pitty but it doesn't do any good bottling things up either. It will come back to bite you- trust me!

You have a great blog and don't sound like an idiot. I'm glad I had a chance to read it.

Oh and btw it sounds like you have a nice friend. Glad you have some decent non-virtual support. Life is hard enough without college and illnesses to worry about so it's good to be able to talk to somebody. :smile:
x

Great post! This was really interesting to read.:yep: Good luck with your exams, getting the grades you want and becoming an aerospace engineer.

This post was very inspirational and uplifting, especially in towards the end. I'm glad you have such great friends who you can discuss all your problems with. That was a lovely reply from your friend too. It's also great to hear that you feel a lot better after this. Keep up the great work :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello again :smile:

For some reason I thought you were a year older, I don't know why, maybe it's just the default age I give everyone before I actually know their real age.

Oooo aspirations, and wow, you've taken some pretty tough subjects (not that I can really talk, I'm taking all science subjects for my A levels.) I didn't even know engineering was a subject! I've got a friend whose doing Aerospace Engineering next year and I'm pretty sure that you can get there if you work hard towards it, don't give it up especially if you really want to do it. It may seem tough at first but at the end of the day, you'll be the one with the smile on your face because you've ended up doing something you really enjoy :smile:

I take it you live nearabouts London for you to not want to apply to all London uni's? I had the same problem, that and London was just way too crowded and busy for someone like me. I'm going to Nottingham this year - I don't know how to feel though, excited, scared, nervous urgh so many emotions!!!!

Tbh, you're aspirations aren't big headed at all, you have to aim high to achieve more in life and that's exactly what you're doing.Hopefully, you do end up getting the grades you want :smile: Seriously though, your teachers sound so sweet!

Haha, nice plan.

Your friend sounds really nice as well! Some wise nuggets of info right there.

Everyone is going through something, however big or small. I guess we all just have to learn to work with it. Just know that you have people rooting for you along the way :smile:
PRSOM, thank you! :hugs: Sorry, I think the format thing was my fault haha. Yeah, my friend is great. I replied to his message 'You're not THAT fantastic' lmao. Lol, but he really is an amazing friend. That quote was amazing btw, thank you!

Sounds like something I would reply back, insulting my friends is kinda my thing...

:smile:
Aw, sounds like there could be a romance brewing :love:

Loved the post as well :h:
Original post by SeanFM
Aw, sounds like there could be a romance brewing :love:

Loved the post as well :h:

Oh god no, no romance AT ALL.
Oh god no, no romance AT ALL.

:rofl: I'm only kidding. :tongue:

Sorry :getmecoat:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SeanFM
:rofl: I'm only kidding. :tongue:

Sorry :getmecoat:

:lol: :biggrin:
I'll read all of this in full soon but just wanna
@MsFahima
she also wants to do aerospace engineering :biggrin:
i haven't spoken to her in a while on here but reading that you want to do that Ravy reminded me of this wonderful little lady :h:

but since this seems to be an optimistic post :woo: I just wanna say you're happy because you really should be, and because you're figuring things out, you're not wallowing in self pity, you're developing ambitions, succeeding, realising your strengths, saying to hell with the weaknesses

uh uh booboo u go girl, u betta work it hunni *snaps finger*

So far, all I’ve spoken about is who I am and what I suffer from. This blogpost will be on what I aspire to be and how I won’t let what Ihave hinder me. Special thanks to Ethereal World for giving me this idea.

So firstly, education. I am a 16 year old, yr 12 student studying Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Engineering (worth 2 A-Levels) for A2. Passed my GCSEs with flying colours and am now doing the subjects I wanted todo. My school isn’t the best, is fairly new and quite unorganised. But that’s okay as long as I’m getting the grades and support I need, that’s all that counts. I’ve not yet begun stressing about upcoming exams and trying to ensure that I don’t stress out because I can’t afford to. I would hopefully like to do Aerospace Engineering at university, but if I’m honest, I am beginning to change my mind about what I may do because health wise, things aren’t going great atm. Maybe considering anapprenticeship, but still don’t know as of yet. That’s really bad. I’m already in Year 12 and should have an idea on what I want to do in the future. But oh wellsies. The universities I would like to apply to are Southampton, Bristol, Nottingham, Leicester and Queen Mary’s London. Four of the five unis are out of London because I really want to experience university life and hearing from my sisters, sounds pretty epic. These universities that I have applied to also require high grades, three of which wants an A*AA (Southampton, Nottingham andBristol), hence I’ve applied to two lower requirement universities just in caseI don’t get the grades.

My aspirational grades are quite big headed, and I reallywant to get A*AA with a D*D in Engineering. Quite hefty aspirational grades, inaddition to the fact that these are the predicted grades given to me by myteachers. My teachers know of my condition and know that I need to get all the help that I can get in order to achieve those grades, and are willing to helpme in any way possible which reminds me that I need to say a massive thankyou to my teachers for having to put up with my complaining, tears and continuously walking out of class (which I feel kinda bad about because I thinkit’s rude to walk out when somebody’s talking). They say I ‘enjoy’ annoyingthem because I always out my hand up when I want to leave class, even though they always tell me to walk out even if I find it rude haha.

A friend and I have made this plan together about ‘thrashing’fellow classmates in terms of what grades we get. Doesn’t seem very nice, but it’sthe only way to motivate us to get the grades we want. He does only Engineering, Maths and Physics, whereas I also do Chemistry. For my AS exams, I’m hoping to get an AAB (B in Chemistry), and am already doing well in myengineering (got distinctions in the three units I have fully completed).

I’m trying my very hardest to remain well by making sure I take my medication the correct number of times, by ensuring I tell my doctorabout all of the problems I am getting so that I can get a solution to it assoon as possible, by actually talking to people instead of letting thoughts buildup inside me and BECOME MORE OPTIMISTIC ABOUT LIFE. I did exactly this otherday. I got home on Tuesday and I broke down in tears. I don’t know why, I justdid. So I messaged my friend (the same friend as mentioned above) and I said:

‘I hate being unwell. So many things are going on and I just want it to stop but there’s no point in wanting something when you know you’renot gonna get it. I’m trying to live with it and smile but then you hit a pointwhere you just break down, and I’ve hit that point and feel like screaming myhead off. I’m just sick of being sick and I hate the fact that it’s not gonna stop. I’ve been psychologically scarred and it’s killing me inside’

I keep telling myself to stop ranting because I have to live with what I have, but I know that’s never going to happen because everything happened at such a young age. Nobody, and I mean nobody has the mental capacity to handle so much going on at once at that age and if you can, well hats off to you, I wanna know your secret! Haha :/ (I really need to stop complaining lmao).Anyway, his reply to that message was:

‘(my name), we all have our problems. Some bigger than others. And the only way to live with them is to understand and appreciate whatwe do have. And I see where you’re coming from. About always being ill. But tbhyou’re a great person with a great sense of humour so don’t let this make youfeel down… we are gonna have ups and downs. And this is a down, but ravioli (he found out I have TSR lmao that was too funny and hence why I removed my profilepicture!) you’re strong and even though you’re ill you’re gonna learn how tolive with it with more ease in the long run. Keep strong and remember you have fantastic friends’.

I’ve never taken this friend so seriously before, and so Ididn’t know what his response would be at the time, but I did know that he was(and still is) one of the very few friends that I could talk to about ANYTHING.Literally, ANYTHING. And he knows that too. I really wanted to give him a hug on Wednesday, but a lot of people don’t know that we talk quite a bit, plus Idon’t hang around with his friends and vice versa. I am such an idiot for not even already thinking about what he said. I’ve been so pessimistic that I never appreciated what I already had. Family. Friends. Help. I bet most of you reading this now must be thinking ‘Jeez ravioli, why didn’t you know this before?’ And to be fair, I don’t even know the answer to that question myself.That one text message has completely changed my opinion on life. Wow, I’m a **** lol.

So one of my goals on being optimistic about life hasalready started because I am SO SO SO SO grateful for everything I have. It’slike my future has already begun (lmao not really, don’t get ahead of yourself ravioli). I don’t know why, but I just feel so…. Happy. Another friend of mine has noticed it too, and she actually thinks something’s wrong :rofl: I just feel happy and if I manage to let this carry on, I think I will lead apositive life, where I can say ‘**** you IBD, you can’t handle this bitch’:toofunny:

Reading back at this, I really do sound like an idiot LOOOOOL.

Anyway, the future. I really want to be an Aerospace Engineer. I’ve loved engineering since such a young age and I really lovereading about astronomy, planes etc. I want to get an amazing job, find an amazing husband that cares and understands me and possibly have children, if I can. So, yh. That’s it really. That’s my latest blogpost for now.

Love always,ravioliyears xx

PS Sorry I posted this so late, I’m so bored :/
EDIT: Apologies for the punctuation mistakes as I typed this up on Word, and it went all weird when I pasted it :/

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
oops edited ur name out :blushing:
dont kill me dont kill meh it was there for 5 secs :doh:
Original post by mall-cop
@MsFahima
i haven't spoken to her in a while on here but reading that you want to do that Ravy reminded me of this wonderful little lady :h:

but since this seems to be an optimistic post :woo: I just wanna say you're happy because you really should be, and because you're figuring things out, you're not wallowing in self pity, you're developing ambitions, succeeding, realising your strengths, saying to hell with the weaknesses

oops edited ur name out :blushing:
dont kill me dont kill meh it was there for 5 secs :doh:

Konichiwa boo boo :toofunny:

Thanks bhai. I actually thought you were ignoring me :hugs: Thanks for your response, it really does mean a lot. Yeah, imma work it. Lmao :rofl: And its okay, dw. A lot of people already know my name on this anyway
Konichiwa boo boo :toofunny:

Thanks bhai. I actually thought you were ignoring me :hugs: Thanks for your response, it really does mean a lot. Yeah, imma work it. Lmao :rofl: And its okay, dw. A lot of people already know my name on this anyway

oh because i said it and nuke dev said take it out because you'll get angry :hmmm:
i thought that was some policy of urs but okies then :colone:
raveen raveen raveen :colone:

Why'd you think I was ignoring yoouuuuuuuu???????? :nooo:!
@MsFahima

HEY! Is this mbp?

:hugs: Where you been?!
oh because i said it and nuke dev said take it out because you'll get angry :hmmm:
i thought that was some policy of urs but okies then :colone:
raveen raveen raveen :colone:

Why'd you think I was ignoring yoouuuuuuuu???????? :nooo:!

Don't forget the a at the end of my name mal :rofl:

I dunno :/
Original post by MsFahima
HEY! Is this mbp?

:hugs: Where you been?!

i've been everywhere and nowhere chipmunk
where have YOU been :erm:
HOW have you been? :biggrin:

Don't forget the a at the end of my name mal :rofl:

I dunno :/

thats so motherf*cking emBURrassing