The Student Room Group

Working for NCS The Challenge

Hey everyone :smile: I wanted to ask if anyone is/ has been in a similar position to me? I applied for a job with NCS The Challenge and was offered a role as senior mentor. However I'm now worried that as I'm only 18 I'll be younger than all the other mentors and as I'll only be a year older than some of the young people it may make it difficult. Has anyone else done this job when they were this age and what was your experience? Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

I have never worked on an NCS project before, but I am an NCS grad. In my team, I team leader was in her early 20s with the assistance team leader 18 at the time. but there were young one than him one which went to school with me.
Reply 2
Original post by Jessie15
Hey everyone :smile: I wanted to ask if anyone is/ has been in a similar position to me? I applied for a job with NCS The Challenge and was offered a role as senior mentor. However I'm now worried that as I'm only 18 I'll be younger than all the other mentors and as I'll only be a year older than some of the young people it may make it difficult. Has anyone else done this job when they were this age and what was your experience? Thanks!

Hey, I'm also just 18 but haven't sent out my application yet. I'm also applying to be a senior mentor. I have been an associate mentor before and the participants are generally lovely. They automatically assume you're much older until you tell them your real age and even at that it's fine because they know you're kind of in charge. Don't be too worried, it should all be much fun.
Regards the online application, do you have any tips you could share?
Reply 3
Original post by georgeheal
I have never worked on an NCS project before, but I am an NCS grad. In my team, I team leader was in her early 20s with the assistance team leader 18 at the time. but there were young one than him one which went to school with me.

Ah okay thanks! I'm an NCS grad as well and most of the leaders on my wave (if not all) were in their twenties at least. Do you know how the assistant team leader found it, being only 18?
Reply 4
Original post by aifzzz
Hey, I'm also just 18 but haven't sent out my application yet. I'm also applying to be a senior mentor. I have been an associate mentor before and the participants are generally lovely. They automatically assume you're much older until you tell them your real age and even at that it's fine because they know you're kind of in charge. Don't be too worried, it should all be much fun.
Regards the online application, do you have any tips you could share?

Hey, thanks for your reply :smile: Ah okay thank you, I was thinking of just not telling them by age to be honest aha. Regards to tips, I'm not really sure, I was just myself on my application! I think they like it if you have some experience working with young people so if you do then be sure to mention that! Also having been an associate mentor will probably really help you! Good luck, I hope you get the job.
Ah okay thanks! I'm an NCS grad as well and most of the leaders on my wave (if not all) were in their twenties at least. Do you know how the assistant team leader found it, being only 18?

He loved it, to my knowdlge. he now work for the people that run NCS in my area.
Reply 6
Original post by georgeheal
He loved it, to my knowdlge. he now work for the people that run NCS in my area.

Oh wow he must have really loved it then! Thanks for letting me know, I feel a lot more confident about working for them now :smile:
Reply 7
How long after your assessment day did you find out you had the job?
Reply 8
Original post by Lexikeyna
How long after your assessment day did you find out you had the job?

I can't really remember, probably a week or so?
Reply 9
Just wondering if anyone has had a practitioner assessment? I've got mine tomorrow after only getting the email inviting me today! I've come up with a little photography workshop which is what they've asked us to prepare but I read someone saying that a couple of years ago practitioners also had to deliver an icebreaker - is this true?Anything else I should be prepared for in a practitioner assessment?Thanks!

I was 18 when I was an SM (Last year) and I'm telling you, don't worry about it! The young people know it's not school but even so give you a position of responsibility and respect. It was lovely working with my mentees, they were genuinely shocked when I told them I had turned 18 only a few months prior. It's mostly the way you carry yourself, if they can see you are easy going but not someone to be messed with, you'll be fine.

A lot of SMs are fairly young. Most of all the ones I knew were in Uni, so you won't be picked on because you seem like the youngest of the bunch.

Be yourself, follow procedures and remember the PM and APM are there to help! During your staff briefings in the morning or night you'll have a chance to talk to about anything that's bothering and any questions you might have. I loved last summer and gearing up to do another wave this summer too - hopefully. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Thank you for your reply and for the advice! I'm actually going to be a senior community facilitator now because I couldn't find a wave that I could work for the entirety of as a senior mentor but I'm still looking forward to it and hoping that I can work as a senior mentor next year when summer is a bit less busy. I hope you manage to get to do another wave this year as well :smile:

QUOTE=ChillGod;63906701]I was 18 when I was an SM (Last year) and I'm telling you, don't worry about it! The young people know it's not school but even so give you a position of responsibility and respect. It was lovely working with my mentees, they were genuinely shocked when I told them I had turned 18 only a few months prior. It's mostly the way you carry yourself, if they can see you are easy going but not someone to be messed with, you'll be fine.

A lot of SMs are fairly young. Most of all the ones I knew were in Uni, so you won't be picked on because you seem like the youngest of the bunch.

Be yourself, follow procedures and remember the PM and APM are there to help! During your staff briefings in the morning or night you'll have a chance to talk to about anything that's bothering and any questions you might have. I loved last summer and gearing up to do another wave this summer too - hopefully. :smile:

Hey Jessie15

this may be a bit late but i am 19 and got the job this year. i was probably one of the youngest at the assessment centre lol. im guessing you worked NCS last year already. i hope it went well!

i had a few questions myself, maybe if you could give me advice?

if you see this please get back to me and ill ask you everything lol?

Thanks
Reply 13
Hi everyone

I applied for NCS role and was unsuccessful at the assessment, can i re apply this year ( 2017 ) and go for another
assessment ? as my rejection email suggests that i can ( the 1st wave doesn't start until june)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Andy726
Hi everyone

I applied for NCS role and was unsuccessful at the assessment, can i re apply this year ( 2017 ) and go for another
assessment ? as my rejection email suggests that i can ( the 1st wave doesn't start until june)

Hi andy726,

yes you can re-apply, the same thing happened to my friend she applied for peer mentor on the challenge this year but she didnt get it. she has now applied for the same role but as part of salford foundation instead of the challenge. if you check their website out there are job opportunities for NCS roles not only as part of the challenge but also other foundations. good luck if you do apply!
Reply 15
Thank you alaina can you reply with the website for the salford foundation
Reply 16
Hi alaina

I am from birmingham and would not be able to travel to manchester for 1 or 2 weeks as it is too far and i would have to pay for the accommodation in week 3, can i still apply to my own city again ?
Hi Andy,

Yes you can apply to your own city. If you click on the link below it will take you to theNCS oppurtunities page. There is also a map on the page, click on the area you want to work in and all the oppurtunities will come up. Also if you want to work for NCS the challenge, you can re-apply.

http://www.ncsyes.co.uk/careers/ncs-programme-jobs

Hope I helped!

If you have anymore questions let me know!!!
Original post by Andy726
Thank you alaina can you reply with the website for the salford foundation

Hey Andy if you click on the link i have added for the other answer and go onto Manchetser area of the Map, Salford foundation will come up.
Reply 19
How do I reapply for NCS challenge 2017 every time I log in my old application comes up ? How can I start a new application ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending