The Student Room Group

Easy polar coordinates question

Hello, this is a really easy question but I'm not sure if I'm working things out correctly here.

C:r=sinθ+3cosθ, 0θπ2\displaystyle C: r =\sin\theta + \sqrt3\cos\theta, \ 0\leq \theta \leq \frac{\pi}{2}
At the point P on C, the tangent to C is perpendicular to the initial line. Find the polar coordinates of P.

Now, what I've done is that

If the tangent is perpendicular to θ=0dxdθ=0\displaystyle \text{If the tangent is perpendicular to} \ \theta = 0 \Leftrightarrow \frac{\mathrm{d} x}{\mathrm{d} \theta} = 0

x=rcosθ=(sinθ+3cosθ)cosθ\displaystyle x = r\cos\theta = \left ( \sin\theta + \sqrt3\cos\theta \right )\cos\theta

dxdθ=cos2θsin2θ23sinθcosθ=cos2θ3sin2θ\displaystyle \frac{\mathrm{d} x}{\mathrm{d} \theta} = \cos^{2}\theta - \sin^{2}\theta -2\sqrt3\sin\theta\cos\theta = \cos2\theta - \sqrt3\sin2\theta

Now, after some simple trig after letting dxdθ=0\frac{\mathrm{d} x}{\mathrm{d} \theta} = 0, I've found that θ=π12\theta = \frac{\pi}{12} and that the required polar coordinates is P(6+22,π12) \mathrm{P}\left ( \frac{\sqrt{6}+\sqrt{2}}{2}, \frac{\pi}{12} \right ). Can anyone confirm since I don't have the answers to this? :colondollar:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Can anyone confirm since I don't have the answers to this? :colondollar:

Yep, that's fine. :-)
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
Yep, that's fine. :-)

merci beaucoup, mon ami :biggrin:
Reply 3
am I too late?

Quick Reply