The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

MSc Environmental Technology 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Scot_kit
I got an offer today!
Wishing you all good luck and hopefully see you in October! :-)

Congrats scot_kit.

Would you mind sharing with us your background?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 21
Original post by vananhdo
Congrats scot_kit.

Would you mind sharing with us your background?

Thank you :-)

Sure. This is in a nutshell what my PS was about:
I'm doing an MA Environmental Sustainability at Dundee (Scotland), which is basically the same as the core course of this MSc. The course is also accedited by the institute of environmental management and assessment. For the first two years I also did economics and at the moment I'm taking a civil engineering module (Next life I want to be an engineer) with my actual course to add more maths to my degree.

Summer 2014 I did a month of volunteering at the Shamwari Game reserve in South Africa, which is also where I got interested in environmental econ, though I went cause I wanted to learn more about conservation practices. Last summer I spent two months at UTokyo for a graduate school of science research internship in the earth and planetary science department (ocean-atmosphere interfaces). From there I took my idea for my dissertation, which is on ocean stuff and modeling - I know, totally irrelevant, but hey, transfersble skills, haha. This May I'm going to present a paper I'm collaborating on atm on SEA (strategic environmental assessment) at a conference in Nagoya.

Got awards for sports and econ. Filled more space on my CV mentioning this, but don't think they cared.

My main interest is the financial evaluation of the environment. I'm excited we're finally doing something about this, but I'm sceptical about how positive the outcomes of current approaches will be - which is what half my PS was about.

Wow, so many sentences starting with 'I'...

Just to add: two friends of mine are also going to Imperial for the same course (nuclear engineering) and one of them has literally zero experiences in the field or outside. I also didn't mention mine much and mainly focused on the subject, so I really don't think having no experience is a deal-breaker.
Thanks Scot_kit. I think you have many relevant courseworks.

I am so curious about how they will evaluate my background but let's see how it goes. Hopefully we will see each other in October :smile:
Reply 23
Has anyone heard anything yet? Still waiting for any news, but dead quiet!
Reply 24
Original post by Kadzum
Has anyone heard anything yet? Still waiting for any news, but dead quiet!

I have not:frown: I emailed them and their response was generic- I would be informed of a decision once it is made.
I'm in the same boat but for a different program. Applied for MSc. Computing (Artificial Intelligence), it's been 8 weeks since refs were received.
Reply 26
Have you guys heard anything ?
Reply 27
Original post by Soi89093
Have you guys heard anything ?

Not a word, nothing at all. Been waiting since mid-December so starting to get worried. You?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Kadzum
Not a word, nothing at all. Been waiting since mid-December so starting to get worried. You?

Hey ,

So, I called admissions on Friday and made a fuss about needing to know soon for several reasons. Today, I received an email saying that a message has been sent directly to my first option convenors to prioritize my application . Maybe you want to contact them directly and have a valid reason why you need to hear back asap- this might help speed up your application.
Reply 29
Hey ,

So, I called admissions on Friday and made a fuss about needing to know soon for several reasons. Today, I received an email saying that a message has been sent directly to my first option convenors to prioritize my application . Maybe you want to contact them directly and have a valid reason why you need to hear back asap- this might help speed up your application.

What reasons did you give? I got an offer from King's College that expires later this month so kinda need to know asap
Reply 30
Original post by Kadzum
What reasons did you give? I got an offer from King's College that expires later this month so kinda need to know asap

Could you accept the offer, and in the case Imperial accepts you, withdraw?

I said that I have been accepted to participate in a 4 month summer program and if I were to get into Imperial I would need to decline bc I need to be in my country of residence to apply for a Visa. Also, I stressed how it is important to receive a decision soon in order for me to explore alternatives in the case I get rejected. They were very understanding.
Reply 31
Could you accept the offer, and in the case Imperial accepts you, withdraw?

Not realistically. When you accept an offer you usually (including King's) have to pay part of the tuition free (£1000) - if you then drop out, say cheerio to that money. I wish I was in a position where £1000 wouldn't matter too much and I could do that, but no haha
Reply 32
Original post by Kadzum
Not realistically. When you accept an offer you usually (including King's) have to pay part of the tuition free (£1000) - if you then drop out, say cheerio to that money. I wish I was in a position where £1000 wouldn't matter too much and I could do that, but no haha

I say call them ! Definitely will hurt you if they keep you waiting.
Reply 33
I say call them ! Definitely will hurt you if they keep you waiting.

Yeah I called them this morning explaining the situation. The woman I spoke to seemed really understanding and told me she would chase them up today as they've had the application 'for a very, very long time' as she put it. So fingers crossed that I'll hear something back really soon!
Reply 34
Original post by Kadzum
Yeah I called them this morning explaining the situation. The woman I spoke to seemed really understanding and told me she would chase them up today as they've had the application 'for a very, very long time' as she put it. So fingers crossed that I'll hear something back really soon!

Yeah! Hopefully this leads to good news, let me know if you hear anything
I am thinking to apply for a scholarship that requires an admission letter by 1st of May, but it seems impossible to hear the result by that date, because it's required to have an interview before admission, right?

I already got another offer, so in this case, I may have to choose that program instead for the scholarship application.
Reply 36
I am thinking to apply for a scholarship that requires an admission letter by 1st of May, but it seems impossible to hear the result by that date, because it's required to have an interview before admission, right?

I already got another offer, so in this case, I may have to choose that program instead for the scholarship application.

When did you apply? I definitely understand your pickle.
Original post by Kadzum
When did you apply? I definitely understand your pickle.

Mid Feb, but I guess it takes some more time for them to process my reference letters.

I already applied for another scholarship from my home country to back this application, but meanwhile I just figure out another scholarship that is worth a try.
So after sending my email, today I received the change in my portal, and they reject my application. Have no idea why, but I guess they have no time for explanation, right?

I am so inexperienced with the UK application, I guess I should learn more how to boost my profile and choose a more suitable course.

Good luck everyone.
Reply 39
So after sending my email, today I received the change in my portal, and they reject my application. Have no idea why, but I guess they have no time for explanation, right?

I am so inexperienced with the UK application, I guess I should learn more how to boost my profile and choose a more suitable course.

Good luck everyone.

I'm sorry to hear that. However, I do think they give an explanation if you ask.
Regardless, good luck with your future endeavours!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending