The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

MSc Environmental Technology 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Soi89093
I'm sorry to hear that. However, I do think they give an explanation if you ask.
Regardless, good luck with your future endeavours!

Thanks. I followed your advice and emailed them, it's great that they responded quickly:

Admission to this course is highly competitive and your application was classified by registry as a special case due to your degree result. The department could not find sufficient reason to support a special case on this on this occasion. Perhaps further work experience in a relevant field may help.

It means the degree from my home country is not compatible here, I am so sad to hear that. Maybe I will go with another Master in the UK and then I will consider whether I really need this degree from Imperial or I can get a good job without it. How do you guys think?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 41
Original post by vananhdo
Thanks. I followed your advice and emailed them, it's great that they responded quickly:

Admission to this course is highly competitive and your application was classified by registry as a special case due to your degree result. The department could not find sufficient reason to support a special case on this on this occasion. Perhaps further work experience in a relevant field may help.

It means the degree from my home country is not compatible here, I am so sad to hear that. Maybe I will go with another Master in the UK and then I will consider whether I really need this degree from Imperial or I can get a good job without it. How do you guys think?

Wow, I'm pretty impressed they responded so quickly. What is your degree ?

There are so many good programs in US, Canada, Switzerland, Netherlands among others that you could consider. If you are passionate about the energy sector there are various related NGOs or companies you can intern, or volunteer for that may work more in your favour than say a degree from Imperial. The program seems as though it is good at exposing you to companies and helping develop leadership qualities, but with tenacity, you can do that without the degree. I'm pretty sure you can get a good job.
Also, don't let this upset blind you from the endless opportunities that can be had. Again best of luck!
Wow, I'm pretty impressed they responded so quickly. What is your degree ?

There are so many good programs in US, Canada, Switzerland, Netherlands among others that you could consider. If you are passionate about the energy sector there are various related NGOs or companies you can intern, or volunteer for that may work more in your favour than say a degree from Imperial. The program seems as though it is good at exposing you to companies and helping develop leadership qualities, but with tenacity, you can do that without the degree. I'm pretty sure you can get a good job.
Also, don't let this upset blind you from the endless opportunities that can be had. Again best of luck!

I studied business and economics. I already had NGOs experience, but I want to land a job in clean energy consulting, so I expect to gain a degree with rigorous training and good reputation internationally.

I checked with another program at UCL that I applied and was surprised to learn that they received 249 applications for around 40 seats this year. It's even more competitive than an MBA from a top school, I can't believe it's so hard to get in.

Already got an offer from Sussex - Energy Policy, it has good reputation for policy part, but I am not sure whether it provides sufficient environmental foundation and quantitative skills for consulting work. Maybe I will go for this if I can get a scholarship, and also thinking about applying for other programs next year. Do you have experiences with application in other countries, or know other good programs?
I'm in the same boat but for a different program. Applied to MSc. Computing (Artificial Intelligence) and it's been 8 weeks since my refs were uploaded.
Reply 44
So I had the interview , the questions were :
1. Why this program why this option
2. What are some environmental issues ?
3. With the growing population growth what are some problems that would arise
4. What would you like to do upon graduating
5. Asked about how to deal with difficult team members
6. They then asked about experience, extra curriculars, school and if I had the funds to attend
Reply 45
So I had the interview , the questions were :
1. Why this program why this option
2. What are some environmental issues ?
3. With the growing population growth what are some problems that would arise
4. What would you like to do upon graduating
5. Asked about how to deal with difficult team members
6. They then asked about experience, extra curriculars, school and if I had the funds to attend

Which option are you applying for? Got my interview on Wednesday!
Reply 46
Original post by Kadzum
Which option are you applying for? Got my interview on Wednesday!

Goodluck! I applied for Water Management
Reply 47
Goodluck! I applied for Water Management

How did you get on? Have they given you a decision?
Reply 48
Original post by Kadzum
How did you get on? Have they given you a decision?

Yes, I got my offer on Monday just need to pay deposit
Reply 49
Yes, I got my offer on Monday just need to pay deposit

Well done, congrats! How long did the interview itself take for you? Mine was kinda over and done with in like 25 min, and no questions about funding etc
Reply 50
Original post by Kadzum
Well done, congrats! How long did the interview itself take for you? Mine was kinda over and done with in like 25 min, and no questions about funding etc

Thank you ! I would say the same in terms of the length of the interview. Regarding funding , maybe they asked bc I'm international?
Reply 51
Thank you ! I would say the same in terms of the length of the interview. Regarding funding , maybe they asked bc I'm international?

Ah, that is actually quite relieving to hear! Got a bit nervous and thought it was quite short. Would make sense, I'm EU so have to pay way less, guess that is a contributing factor. Did it take them long to get back to you?
Reply 52
Original post by Kadzum
Ah, that is actually quite relieving to hear! Got a bit nervous and thought it was quite short. Would make sense, I'm EU so have to pay way less, guess that is a contributing factor. Did it take them long to get back to you?

I know I have to pay so much! I am in the process of applying to scholarships so hopefully that works out. I interviewed Thursday morning and got a response Monday morning. Tbh, my interviewer's mannerism kind of tipped me off that I'd get in. So, I'd say if you felt good about it and it went well you should be fine:smile:
Reply 53
I know I have to pay so much! I am in the process of applying to scholarships so hopefully that works out. I interviewed Thursday morning and got a response Monday morning. Tbh, my interviewer's mannerism kind of tipped me off that I'd get in. So, I'd say if you felt good about it and it went well you should be fine:smile:

Where are you from? Fingers crossed that you'll get some funding, will definitely help haha :biggrin: I think it did, she seemed quite pleased, but tbh, we'll just have to wait and see.
Reply 54
Original post by Kadzum
Where are you from? Fingers crossed that you'll get some funding, will definitely help haha :biggrin: I think it did, she seemed quite pleased, but tbh, we'll just have to wait and see.

Canada

Quick Reply

Latest