The Student Room Group
University of York
York

English - Philosophy Weighting

I heard somewhere that you can weight degrees at york (joint honours) so that I could perhaps do 75 per cent English 25 philosophy?

Could someone please tell me if this is true and also, whether there are any requirements to be able to do this, or any details; would I still be able to do that if I didn't have a GCSE in an MFL? (A requirement for the english single honours course).
Also, does anyone know any other universities that allow for this kind of flexibility?

That's all, any advice would help, thanks xxx
Reply 1
Please reply...
University of York
York
Reply 2
I don't really know the answer to your quesion, but I'll give it a shot seeing as no-one else has.

I know you can obviously do joint degrees between a number of departments, this is what I will be doing in October. However, I havn't heard of this felxability where by you can pick your own ratio. In fact, if anything, the impression I was given was the suject ratio was quite tightly controlled.

For example- My course is Linguistics/ Literature and there are two options:

1. Linguistics/Literature (60% 30% split)
2. Linguistics/Literature (50/50 spli)

and courses like Maths/Physics have the same two options of split. This is why I don't know where you got the idea of picking your own ratio- if they allowed this I dont see why they would have created two different courses for a lot of degrees for the sake of 10% weighting.

I've just been on the UCAS website and it seems there is one course which joins English and Philosophy and English and that is 'Eng/Philosophy Equal' ie. 50% split between the two.

I don't know therefore how you could end up doing 70%+ English and 30%- Philosophy because you will have to do a certain number of modules in both departments.
Try the English website, current undergraduates handbook. It has all the modules and weightings for each subject in your combination.

Latest

Trending

Trending