The Student Room Group

Official OCR A2 Criminal Law 2016 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Anyone have a good exam structure for each of the questions? Also does anybody have an example question which recieved high marks.
Original post by callummassey
Anyone have a good exam structure for each of the questions? Also does anybody have an example question which recieved high marks.

I tend to stick to a straight forward and simple structure which always helps me achieve the higher bands.

Section A:

Introduction - answering the question, giving the definition and the points of law which need to be considered. Evaluation of the definition.

Point of law #1 with evaluation (basically this until all the key points and tests have been covered - always evaluating towards the end of each point).

Additional points about the Law Commission - any recommendations, possible problems with these or why they may make the law better etc.

Conclusion - answering the question and stating overall, whether the law is sufficient.

Section B:

Talking about all the relevant AO1.

Application to the scenarios by talking about the law in regards to the scenario and each person.

Section C:
Honestly depends on the topic and the scenario. I try to stick to five points, always referring to the law/tests and then showing how it is or is not evidenced in the scenario. The final sentence is always either "I conclude that this statement is accurate", or "I conclude that this statement is inaccurate".

Original post by garyshortall
I'm doing the OCR Criminal Law paper in a few weeks and was wondering do we have to do conclusions in both Section A and Section B questions?
For section A, yes. For the other sections, no.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by null.and.void.
I tend to stick to a straight forward and simple structure which always helps me achieve the higher bands.

Section A:

Introduction - answering the question, giving the definition and the points of law which need to be considered. Evaluation of the definition.

Point of law #1 with evaluation (basically this until all the key points and tests have been covered - always evaluating towards the end of each point).

Additional points about the Law Commission - any recommendations, possible problems with these or why they may make the law better etc.

Conclusion - answering the question and stating overall, whether the law is sufficient.

Section B:

Talking about all the relevant AO1.

Application to the scenarios by talking about the law in regards to the scenario and each person.

Section C:
Honestly depends on the topic and the scenario. I try to stick to five points, always referring to the law/tests and then showing how it is or is not evidenced in the scenario. The final sentence is always either "I conclude that this statement is accurate", or "I conclude that this statement is inaccurate".

For section A, yes. For the other sections, no.

ok thanks, do you reccommend including 8 cases for both section a and section b?
ok thanks, do you reccommend including 8 cases for both section a and section b?

Yep, that's compulsory for the higher band! I wouldn't limit myself to 8, though. If there are more cases that you can use to compare the law with, it might be worth noting that too (such as the differences between the cases of Quick and Hennessey when talking about Insanity).

:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 104
Is 8 cases needed for an A? so for a C it would be like 5?
Original post by garyshortall
Is 8 cases needed for an A? so for a C it would be like 5?

Not necessarily. If you're talking only about the AO1 aspect, I'm pretty sure it would be around 3 cases for a D/C. Probably 4 for a solid C.
how is everyone feeling about the special study paper?
Reply 107
Haven't even started revising it yet!!!
What grade you aiming for?
Reply 109
if a section A question on murder comes up, how much detail do we give on causation?
Id definatley mention causation but i depends on the question with regards to how much you mention it
Reply 111
Id definatley mention causation but i depends on the question with regards to how much you mention it

cheers, one last question haha. Does the 'year and a day rule' count as AO1? Would i get marks for including it?
Yes and if you explore why it was abolished then u will get a02 marks
anyone got any predictions for what may come up??
how is everyone feeling about the special study paper?

I'm feeling meh, I've been focussing on trying to remember all the cases for G153 and began studying properly for the special study yesterday. So far, I've been trying to get my head around the sources and additional cases. I'll shortly begin to write a few responses to the first question and get my teacher to look through it.

What about you?
I'm feeling meh, I've been focussing on trying to remember all the cases for G153 and began studying properly for the special study yesterday. So far, I've been trying to get my head around the sources and additional cases. I'll shortly begin to write a few responses to the first question and get my teacher to look through it.

What about you?

Im planning to start writing some responses to question one today

What about you?

do you have any suggestions for what may come up?
Im planning to start writing some responses to question one today

I suggest you do as you have planned. Writing out answers a couple of times will get you into the hang of writing out the answers in the actual exams itself. During the exam's you'll be pressed for time under exam conditions. The last thing you want to do is stare blankly at the question paper and start thinking about resits.

This also works for me. Before the start of any exam I'll find a quiet corner outside of the exam hall and start writing out stuff from memory. It's call 'warming up'. So when you go into the exam hall and open your question booklet you'll be raring to go.

Whatever you do now till the start of the exam will determine how well you actually do in the actual exams itself. You may very well possess all the knowledge on the subject but at the end of the day what counts is what you've written on you answer scripts.
Original post by Audrey18
I suggest you do as you have planned. Writing out answers a couple of times will get you into the hang of writing out the answers in the actual exams itself. During the exam's you'll be pressed for time under exam conditions. The last thing you want to do is stare blankly at the question paper and start thinking about resits.

This also works for me. Before the start of any exam I'll find a quiet corner outside of the exam hall and start writing out stuff from memory. It's call 'warming up'. So when you go into the exam hall and open your question booklet you'll be raring to go.

Whatever you do now till the start of the exam will determine how well you actually do in the actual exams itself. You may very well possess all the knowledge on the subject but at the end of the day what counts is what you've written on you answer scripts.

Do you have any past answers that got a high mark you could share?
Reply 119
For the Criminal Law G153 Paper how many subjects would i need to know inside out? would it be safe to leave a few out?

Quick Reply

Latest