The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - 20th June 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by boruto
How many past papers have you guys done for Unit 4? And how many times do you guys usually do a paper?
Yet to do our ISA's. Has anyone finished their ISA's and already on revision?

Why would I do a paper more than once? What's the point if I already have done it and understand how to answer everything. If there is a type of question you struggle with, find another question of a similar style and try that one as well
Original post by ememoville
How is everyone dealing with the lack of past papers? There's hardly any to do

Go to http://theallpapers.com/assessment-and-qualifications-alliance/a-level/ it has a crap load of past papers.
Reply 22
the top poster of PHYA1/2 thread checking in :sexface:
Reply 23
Original post by C0balt
the top poster of PHYA1/2 thread checking in :sexface:

Hello :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24

alooo :ahee:

I saw you in the cam thread but I don't remember from last year's unit 1/2 thread!

how far are you from finishing the syllabus? our class has got the whole of option unit to go and the ISA :lol:
Reply 25
Original post by C0balt
alooo :ahee:

I saw you in the cam thread but I don't remember from last year's unit 1/2 thread!

how far are you from finishing the syllabus? our class has got the whole of option unit to go and the ISA :lol:

Ah yes, couldn't resist dropping a bit of Oxford banter in there. I was truly very bored :tongue:

I wasn't very active on TSR last year, and only active in a couple of the maths threads (STEP and D2 mainly)

I am self studying the option unit (Applied Physics) approximately halfway through, but it's really not that long. Ideally want to get the theory done by this week. I also have the ISA to do, partially dreading it but I'm doing a lot of the past papers to prepare this year :redface:

Which optional unit are you taking?
Reply 26
Original post by Euclidean
Ah yes, couldn't resist dropping a bit of Oxford banter in there. I was truly very bored :tongue:

I wasn't very active on TSR last year, and only active in a couple of the maths threads (STEP and D2 mainly)

I am self studying the option unit (Applied Physics) approximately halfway through, but it's really not that long. Ideally want to get the theory done by this week. I also have the ISA to do, partially dreading it but I'm doing a lot of the past papers to prepare this year :redface:

Which optional unit are you taking?

you're always welcome there :lol:
Ew you did D2? D1 already sucked out any liking for decision if it even existed in the first place. Couldn't imagine doing D2 :tongue:

I'm also doing applied physics, which our class has yet to start.
Ew ISA :puke: I cannot remember anything about ISA from last year...that terror all over again :facepalm:
Reply 27
Original post by C0balt
you're always welcome there :lol:
Ew you did D2? D1 already sucked out any liking for decision if it even existed in the first place. Couldn't imagine doing D2 :tongue:

I'm also doing applied physics, which our class has yet to start.
Ew ISA :puke: I cannot remember anything about ISA from last year...that terror all over again :facepalm:

Decision is actually a very interesting branch of mathematics, it's a shame that the syllabus doesn't really portray that. Especially game theory :adore:

Applied physics is pretty straightforward, it's a very simplified version of Rotational Dynamics from Mechanics 5. I imagine someone like you would be fine with that, don't worry! :h:

I got 75% UMS on the Unit 3 ISA last year :lol::colonhash:
Reply 28
Decision is actually a very interesting branch of mathematics, it's a shame that the syllabus doesn't really portray that. Especially game theory :adore:

Applied physics is pretty straightforward, it's a very simplified version of Rotational Dynamics from Mechanics 5. I imagine someone like you would be fine with that, don't worry! :h:

I got 75% UMS on the Unit 3 ISA last year :lol::colonhash:

That's good! I only do up to M3 :tongue: I had considered learning M4/5 myself but AQA doesnt have any book available for M5 so I was like meh whatever :lol: Our school doesn't even have M3 book! Looking forward to starting Applied - was starting to miss learning some new mechanics as we'd finished M2/M3/Phys4 a while ago

Lol I remember being disappointed with my B in my first ISA last year because I was aiming to get high ums. second time around I got an A but seriously ISA is def my biggest fear in physics :lol:
Reply 29
Original post by C0balt
That's good! I only do up to M3 :tongue: I had considered learning M4/5 myself but AQA doesnt have any book available for M5 so I was like meh whatever :lol: Our school doesn't even have M3 book! Looking forward to starting Applied - was starting to miss learning some new mechanics as we'd finished M2/M3/Phys4 a while ago

Lol I remember being disappointed with my B in my first ISA last year because I was aiming to get high ums. second time around I got an A but seriously ISA is def my biggest fear in physics :lol:

You say fear, I'd describe it as terror

You can always watch some stuff online, youtube has some cool lectures on rotational dynamics and thermodynamics which would be useful for your PHYA5.

You're from Japan right, whereabouts? I remember reading a while ago, I usually just ghost around TSR reading random threads as procrastination :lol:
Reply 30
You say fear, I'd describe it as terror

You can always watch some stuff online, youtube has some cool lectures on rotational dynamics and thermodynamics which would be useful for your PHYA5.

You're from Japan right, whereabouts? I remember reading a while ago, I usually just ghost around TSR reading random threads as procrastination :lol:

:lol: yeahhhhhh I know youtube is good but my room's internet is really really bad that I can rarely bring myself to watch youtube... :frown:
Tokyo :tongue:
Reply 31
Original post by C0balt
:lol: yeahhhhhh I know youtube is good but my room's internet is really really bad that I can rarely bring myself to watch youtube... :frown:
Tokyo :tongue:

Awesome! I went a couple of years ago on a school exchange. I'm planning to go for around 3 weeks this summer again, 2 weeks in Kobe/Osaka and then a final week in your beautiful city :u:

Which college are you an offer holder for at Cam?
Reply 32
Awesome! I went a couple of years ago on a school exchange. I'm planning to go for around 3 weeks this summer again, 2 weeks in Kobe/Osaka and then a final week in your beautiful city :u:

Which college are you an offer holder for at Cam?

oh really? that's awesome :biggrin: was it a language exchange? But be aware of the humidity there in the summer...:colonhash:
christ's :smile: where's your oxford college? although i don't know any of the colleges in oxford tbh...I visited Christ Church a couple of years ago but I didn't know a thing about how oxbridge collegiate system worked, so I literally thought it was a church, and not somewhere people study....:facepalm:
Reply 33
Original post by C0balt
oh really? that's awesome :biggrin: was it a language exchange? But be aware of the humidity there in the summer...:colonhash:
christ's :smile: where's your oxford college? although i don't know any of the colleges in oxford tbh...I visited Christ Church a couple of years ago but I didn't know a thing about how oxbridge collegiate system worked, so I literally thought it was a church, and not somewhere people study....:facepalm:

Partially language. They marketed it as a Cultural and Language Exchange, I had a really good time there hence why I'm so eager to go again. And yes, I went in November and even then the heat was crazy :lol:

St Catherine's College, it's outside town a little ways, nice and quiet :biggrin:

Oh dear :lol::lol:
Reply 34
Partially language. They marketed it as a Cultural and Language Exchange, I had a really good time there hence why I'm so eager to go again. And yes, I went in November and even then the heat was crazy :lol:

St Catherine's College, it's outside town a little ways, nice and quiet :biggrin:

Oh dear :lol::lol:

nice :lol: it's an interesting country to visit i think. but heck the heat!! i haven't experienced in a while thankfully though
I just googled catz and i didn't know it was a modern one!
Has anyone got (or could get) the online Stretch and Challenge questions that are with the A2 textbook? I can only find some but I think they would be very helpful.
Reply 36
Whilst I remember the A Level Physics Online guy/ Mr Matheson has a website with all the videos on too which is a lot easier to actually navigate (my personal opinion since I'm just lazy and anything to make my life easier...). And since it's that time of year, he has some ISA technique videos on too which are pretty good, especially for uncertainties
(http://www.alevelphysicsonline.com/#!videos/c1p3t)
Reply 37
Original post by mgill17
Whilst I remember the A Level Physics Online guy/ Mr Matheson has a website with all the videos on too which is a lot easier to actually navigate (my personal opinion since I'm just lazy and anything to make my life easier...). And since it's that time of year, he has some ISA technique videos on too which are pretty good, especially for uncertainties
(http://www.alevelphysicsonline.com/#!videos/c1p3t)

Thank you very much for sharing! Added the link to the OP :biggrin:
Has anyone got a definitions list that we need to learn? would be really appreciated if they can share.
Thanks
Reply 39
Original post by Charlie1523
Has anyone got a definitions list that we need to learn? would be really appreciated if they can share.
Thanks

I've attached one I've just quickly put together. I *think* it covers them all (but don't quote me on that...there's loads...). The definitions are mostly from textbooks or out of my own head so if anyone wants to suggest any that are missing or if any of the wording is ambiguous/bad/etc let me know.:smile:

Edit: I should add the bits in blue are not parts of the definitions themselves but they're just bits I find helpful but hopefully that's obvious...and also if there's any grammatical errors/spelling errors I'm sorry I did this quickly
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending