The Student Room Group

Degree needed for Stockbroker job? What about Medicine?

Hello, I am in Year 11 and have applied to do all the Sciences and Maths for A-Level, and I am aiming to do Medicine at University. But will I be able to change my 'career' path to being a Stockbroker (provided I have good background knowledge), if I do end up doing Medicine? What degrees do you need for Stockbroker-ing and will you be considered with a Medicine Degree? I do like the prospect of having a better paying job with around the same abount of stress - I mean being a Doctor doesn't pay well until you have spent 20 years in University and Training. So can anyone please help me out...
Reply 1
I have no idea about being a stockbroker but if you're in it for money rather than for genuine passion and interest then I don't know if Medicine is the right path to go down, and maybe you should consider alternative degrees, getting onto a medical degree and studying Medicine takes a hell of a lot of commitment and if you aren't sure you want to be a doctor I wouldn't go for it:smile:
Original post by TheMasterofLife
Hello, I am in Year 11 and have applied to do all the Sciences and Maths for A-Level, and I am aiming to do Medicine at University. But will I be able to change my 'career' path to being a Stockbroker (provided I have good background knowledge), if I do end up doing Medicine? What degrees do you need for Stockbroker-ing and will you be considered with a Medicine Degree? I do like the prospect of having a better paying job with around the same abount of stress - I mean being a Doctor doesn't pay well until you have spent 20 years in University and Training. So can anyone please help me out...

Wouldn't suggest doing medicine unless you want a career in medicine. You're probably better off doing something related to finance if you want to be a stockbroker
Original post by kieran12321LFC
Wouldn't suggest doing medicine unless you want a career in medicine. You're probably better off doing something related to finance if you want to be a stockbroker

Technically, I don't want to give up medicine, but at the same time I'm intrigued by the prospect of earning so much... I love the Sciences but yeah...I would feel that I can be that analytical money-handling people person to
why exactly do you think a stock broker earns so much money?
Technically, I don't want to give up medicine, but at the same time I'm intrigued by the prospect of earning so much... I love the Sciences but yeah...I would feel that I can be that analytical money-handling people person to

Well then this is just one more of life's big choices that you have to make
Someone who's thinking about leaving medicine for money before he's even got the grades to get into medical school isn't someone who would make a good doctor. People try so damn hard to get into medical school because theres nothing more that they love than caring for people and even then stumble at the last hurdle. Just my opinion.
Original post by TheMouseyS
Someone who's thinking about leaving medicine for money before he's even got the grades to get into medical school isn't someone who would make a good doctor. People try so damn hard to get into medical school because theres nothing more that they love than caring for people and even then stumble at the last hurdle. Just my opinion.

I do like caring for people and I will work hard to ensure I do a good job but, is it worth being paid less...I really do love the sciences and how a doctor is able to look after people and deal with life or death situations but Doctors spend so much of their life studying and working so hard to be paid wages that do not exactly reflect their qualification or academic ability.
I do like caring for people and I will work hard to ensure I do a good job but, is it worth being paid less...I really do love the sciences and how a doctor is able to look after people and deal with life or death situations but Doctors spend so much of their life studying and working so hard to be paid wages that do not exactly reflect their qualification or academic ability.

Well, you can do Medicine and move into finance. However, it probably isn't worth the time if you have the grades and etc.

You are better off doing a shorter science based degree and then moving into finance.
etiher option ,you need good grades. both are highly competitive fields. Medicine would definately be a lot harder in terms of workload, career progression and financially.
Original post by DorianGrayism
Well, you can do Medicine and move into finance. However, it probably isn't worth the time if you have the grades and etc.

You are better off doing a shorter science based degree and then moving into finance.

Oh okay - Thanks for clearing that up I guess. I was worried initially as I was aiming to do either Politics, Law or a Finance based career/ degree on top of Medicine as I am unable to decide. But as I do like the Sciences and I am fairly good at it, I might just branch out later in life I guess...
Original post by quasa
etiher option ,you need good grades. both are highly competitive fields. Medicine would definately be a lot harder in terms of workload, career progression and financially.

Oh okay - thanks I guess. It will be very hard. BTW - Saw your thread as an Indian Muslim. I am Indian too - but what was the purpose of that thread? :smile: What career do you want to do?
Oh okay - Thanks for clearing that up I guess. I was worried initially as I was aiming to do either Politics, Law or a Finance based career/ degree on top of Medicine as I am unable to decide. But as I do like the Sciences and I am fairly good at it, I might just branch out later in life I guess...

I am attending a conference for diversification after a medical degree and Goldman Sacs have a stand there. At the end of the day, they are looking for intelligent people and Medicine is unique.

It will definitely be harder though, because you lose a lot of your mathematical ability whilst you do Medicine. That is the case for me even though I did Maths at Uni Level.
(edited 8 years ago)

Well Stockbroking is incredibly compeitive and most will have 'good knowledge of the markets', so stockbroking isnt realistically an option. If it is a career you want, maybe do AS further maths and replace physis for economics so you have that flexibility, and have all of next year to make your decision.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending