The Student Room Group

Prospects

I am currently studying Psychology at Northumbria University and sometimes worry that as Northumbria isn't a Russell Group University that even if I get a 1:1 I will still be limited when applying for high end careers that offer a higher pay. I am considering applying for a Masters course at a higher ranked university after graduating to increase career prospects. Any advice? (No arrogant Red Brick students giving any of their negative opinions on Polytechnics please.)
what kind of career what you looking to get in to?
Reply 2
Original post by chickenfoot
what kind of career what you looking to get in to?

Good question..! I'm thinking research, but sometimes I consider a more business aspect such as advertising/marketing.
Original post by HarrisE
Good question..! I'm thinking research, but sometimes I consider a more business aspect such as advertising/marketing.

you should research what they ask for, as it may not be necessary
Reply 4
Original post by chickenfoot
you should research what they ask for, as it may not be necessary

Ok, good idea. Thank you! :-)
Original post by HarrisE
I am currently studying Psychology at Northumbria University and sometimes worry that as Northumbria isn't a Russell Group University that even if I get a 1:1 I will still be limited when applying for high end careers that offer a higher pay. I am considering applying for a Masters course at a higher ranked university after graduating to increase career prospects. Any advice? (No arrogant Red Brick students giving any of their negative opinions on Polytechnics please.)

Masters will be a waste of time and money if your just doing it with no specific career in mind. A masters in something related would a be great way of standing out though, depends what career your looking into. If you want to get into academic research its a lot easier with a masters, atlhough it gets increasingly competitive as you progress from masters->phd->post doc-> lecturer. For marketing i'm not sure whether a masters would be any better than doing work experience...
Original post by iammichealjackson
Masters will be a waste of time and money if your just doing it with no specific career in mind. A masters in something related would a be great way of standing out though, depends what career your looking into. If you want to get into academic research its a lot easier with a masters, atlhough it gets increasingly competitive as you progress from masters->phd->post doc-> lecturer. For marketing i'm not sure whether a masters would be any better than doing work experience...

Work experience is more valuable. You need it whether you want to do a masters or not. I would focus on work experience, internships, projects, societies and groups and networking.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by iammichealjackson

Ah right ok that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the advice!
Original post by leavingthecity
Work experience is more valuable. You need it whether you want to do a masters or not. I would focus on work experience, internships, projects, societies and groups and networking.

did you goto uni? what did you study if you did?
Original post by scrawlx101
did you goto uni? what did you study if you did?

Nope!

I'm going to be a uni this year for the first time, I've had some success but I personally cannot progress in the way that I want without a degree, so I'll be hopefully studying physics.

I took the traditional junior on the desk role which now barely exists and they are nearly always for grads/those with masters or even PhD's in a quantitative subject. Market has changed quickly in a short time! I would from my experience always recommend a degree in a quanta give subject, and learn to code if you can!
Is psychology a quanta give subject
Original post by leavingthecity
Nope!

I'm going to be a uni this year for the first time, I've had some success but I personally cannot progress in the way that I want without a degree, so I'll be hopefully studying physics.

I took the traditional junior on the desk role which now barely exists and they are nearly always for grads/those with masters or even PhD's in a quantitative subject. Market has changed quickly in a short time! I would from my experience always recommend a degree in a quanta give subject, and learn to code if you can!
Original post by scrawlx101
Is psychology a quanta give subject

No, but when I replied to this I for some resin thought you wanted to get into finance?? If not then ignore my rambling about the sector!

Quick Reply

Latest