The Student Room Group

C4 Differentiation Question

At time 'T', the surface area of a cube is Acm^2 and it's volume is Vcm^3. The volume of the cube is expanding at a uniform rate of 2cm^3s^-1. Show that dA/dT = KA^-0.5 where K is a constant to be determined.

please help i have no idea what to do :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by katerobertsonxx
At time 'T', the surface area of a cube is Acm^2 and it's volume is Vcm^3. The volume of the cube is expanding at a uniform rate of 2cm^3s^-1. Show that dA/dT = KA^0.5 where K is a constant to be determined.

how can you relate the volume of the cube to the surface area
what have you done so far Kate ?

:holmes:
Original post by the bear
what have you done so far Kate ?

:holmes:

nothing im struggling to even get started, i missed this lesson and nobody has clear notes and the teachers not been in for a while unwell :frown:
Original post by samb1234
how can you relate the volume of the cube to the surface area

i have no idea, i've been researching and everything includes an equation for the side length but i've not been given it so i'm really stuck
are you sure it's KA^0.5? I got an answer for KA^-0.5
Original post by freddster1018
are you sure it's KA^0.5? I got an answer for KA^-0.5

oops maybe it would help if i wrote the question down right! yeah it is -0.5 sorry! how'd you manage it?
i have no idea, i've been researching and everything includes an equation for the side length but i've not been given it so i'm really stuck

sin(2x) let 2x =u, dy/dx =dy/du x du/dx . Can we use a similar thing here?
sin(2x) let 2x =u, dy/dx =dy/du x du/dx . Can we use a similar thing here?

not sure i had dA/dV x dV/dT but then got stuck
not sure i had dA/dV x dV/dT but then got stuck

You are along the right lines. How could we express A in terms of V so we can find da/dv
You are along the right lines. How could we express A in terms of V so we can find da/dv

that's where i got confused, A= 6x2 and V= x3
that's where i got confused, A= 6x2 and V= x3

So what is x in terms of v

It's a very simple and easy comparison which you would be better working out for yourself than looking up online - it shouldn't take too long (it's a cube for crying out loud).

You sound like you need a break. Go for a walk and get a snack or something and come back to it when you're feeling calmer. Getting stuck on simple problems like this is normal and it's happened to me many times before. Just take a f*cking break.
Reply 13
Moved to maths.
Reply 14
You could find A in terms of V or you could just leave A and V in terms of x and then do it by finding dA/dx and dV/dx and then manipulating to get dA/dT.
I think finding A in terms of V is the better option though.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by B_9710
You could find A in terms of V or you could just leave A and V in terms of x and then do it by finding dA/dx and dV/dx and then manipulating to get dA/dT.
I think finding A in terms of V is the better option though.

thankyou :smile:
So what is x in terms of v

I have had a go and I am even more confused now as I have no K anywhere,

I have written down:

Area= 6x2
Volume= x3

dA/dX= 12x
dV/dX= 3x squared

dA/dT= da/dX x dX/dV x dV/dT

= 12x x 1/3x squared x 1/2 V to the power 1/3?

am I completely going the wrong way?
I have had a go and I am even more confused now as I have no K anywhere,

I have written down:

Area= 6x2
Volume= x3

dA/dX= 12x
dV/dX= 3x squared

dA/dT= da/dX x dX/dV x dV/dT

= 12x x 1/3x squared x 1/2 V to the power 1/3?

am I completely going the wrong way?

you are trying to find k. K is just some constant e.g. 5,10, 4 etc i.e. it's just the coefficient of the A-^0.5 term
Reply 18
am I too late?
Original post by TeeEm
am I too late?

nope never too late haha still not finished it i just cant get my head around it

Quick Reply

Latest