The Student Room Group

What Are The Chances of Being Accepted for a Geology Course?

I'm looking at applying to a geology-related course; specifically, Palaeobiology and Palaeoenvironments at Birmingham (so not pure geology, but still) or Geology with Palaeobiology at Leicester.

I'm predicted to get three A's at the end of my A2 year, and a high grade at EPQ. However... the subjects I study are English Literature, Biology and Chemistry, and the EPQ is unrelated to science.

Do I still have a chance of being accepted? The entry requirements listed on the website state that only two of your subjects need to be science and maths, but I'm still worried I'll be penalised for studying English instead of physics. I did study maths at AS level, but I received and E grade and therefore couldn't have continued it, even if I wanted to (I didn't).
Original post by elvamire
I'm looking at applying to a geology-related course; specifically, Palaeobiology and Palaeoenvironments at Birmingham (so not pure geology, but still) or Geology with Palaeobiology at Leicester.

I'm predicted to get three A's at the end of my A2 year, and a high grade at EPQ. However... the subjects I study are English Literature, Biology and Chemistry, and the EPQ is unrelated to science.

Do I still have a chance of being accepted? The entry requirements listed on the website state that only two of your subjects need to be science and maths, but I'm still worried I'll be penalised for studying English instead of physics. I did study maths at AS level, but I received and E grade and therefore couldn't have continued it, even if I wanted to (I didn't).

What are your full AS results? If the AAA prediction looks realistic then I'd say you have a very good chance. Geological sciences are generally not ridiculously oversubscribed so as long as you're a serious applicant with appropriate subjects (and yours are, they do fulfill the entry requirements) with good realistic predicted grades then you'll probably get a place.

As always, my number one recommendation is to do lots of reading around the subject!
Reply 2
Original post by Plagioclase
What are your full AS results? If the AAA prediction looks realistic then I'd say you have a very good chance. Geological sciences are generally not ridiculously oversubscribed so as long as you're a serious applicant with appropriate subjects (and yours are, they do fulfill the entry requirements) with good realistic predicted grades then you'll probably get a place.

As always, my number one recommendation is to do lots of reading around the subject!

My full AS results were A's in Biology and English and a B in Chemistry; I would have gotten an A there too, but I had a hiccup in the second exam that dragged my whole grade down. I am resitting that paper, though, so I'd say that the AAA prediction is still pretty realistic.

I have been doing reading! ^_^ I'm just trying to get advice here, too.
Original post by elvamire
My full AS results were A's in Biology and English and a B in Chemistry; I would have gotten an A there too, but I had a hiccup in the second exam that dragged my whole grade down. I am resitting that paper, though, so I'd say that the AAA prediction is still pretty realistic.

I have been doing reading! ^_^ I'm just trying to get advice here, too.

Okay well I'd say your chances look good then :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending