The Student Room Group

AS History Revision Tips

Mocks are getting ever closer, as well as the real exams, however there is one thing I need a lot of help with!

How do you revise for AS history?!?!

For GCSE I just made notes on the difficult bits and read the textbook for the rest, and ended up with a really high A grade.

However AS is much more difficult and different. Textbooks only go so far in depth. Should I try and make notes on everything? I think I've got enough time to do so but I don't know if it will be effective.

So fellow AS, as well as A2 and undergraduate students! How are/did you revising/revise and get a comfortable A grade (90%)? Or how do you think you could've changed your strategy and gotten an A?
Managed to get my A by one point in AS and expected to get a solid A this year. Are your school text books for your exam board? I only ask because mine were not but I was able to get hold of some which gave me an edge as they had a list of the essential things to know.

Another good thing is lots and lots of past papers because structure is such a huge part of A Level history. My teachers are big on getting the structure right and last year the A2 results had everyone with an A or above. If you want me to go into detail over structure, let me know.

Finally I wrote over 100 revision cards, singling out facts so that I would remember small but important details which really step up your grade. I often revised with my best friend and we tested each other.

We are getting to the point of the year where stepping up your game, if you haven't already, is a must. This time last year I spent 1/2 the Easter holiday at the school library revising from 8-5, taking an hour out for lunch. This made a big difference to me.

Good luck!
I am doing my AS History exams in May, studying Tsarist Russia & The Making Of Modern Britain!
For the mocks, I went through topics in the textbooks, reading through and making condensed notes. I also like making mind maps, e.g. for reasons Britain won the 1964 election.
Flashcards are also something which helped me get an A* at GCSE - just writing down facts really briefly.
Of course, I will also start using past papers soon - even just making essay plans for possible questions can be a big help. But I also need to work on my timing, and on answering the source questions in the Britain sections especially.
I'm glad I've written all this down because it's gonna motivate me to stop being so lazy and get a move on with revision!:tongue:
Reply 3
Doing Edexcel AS History - USA and Britain Democracies in Change. I've found useful simplifying notes onto cue cards. So all of the main questions/topics for each section of the Unit (there are about 16 in USA), I have got about 10 bullet points about the important details for each topic.

I find the best thing to do is to think about linking events together for each of your cue cards, so I try to mention at least one thing which links to another question. It makes the history all fit together.

Also have A4 sheets for each "Bullet point" in the Spec. Find learning from the Spec really useful.
Reply 4
hi, thanks for the tips, am actually going through my textbook as well as mocks are this week. Do u have any tips on how to answer questions effectively to get an A because AS level questions are so much more complex than the GCSE ones and the time is so limited this year.
Hi there,

Is anybody here familiar with OCR AS Elizabeth I or A2 Tudor Rebellions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by electrahearts
I am doing my AS History exams in May, studying Tsarist Russia & The Making Of Modern Britain!
For the mocks, I went through topics in the textbooks, reading through and making condensed notes. I also like making mind maps, e.g. for reasons Britain won the 1964 election.
Flashcards are also something which helped me get an A* at GCSE - just writing down facts really briefly.
Of course, I will also start using past papers soon - even just making essay plans for possible questions can be a big help. But I also need to work on my timing, and on answering the source questions in the Britain sections especially.
I'm glad I've written all this down because it's gonna motivate me to stop being so lazy and get a move on with revision!:tongue:

AQA? Im doing Russia and Modern Britain to :0
Original post by charlie-hh
Managed to get my A by one point in AS and expected to get a solid A this year. Are your school text books for your exam board? I only ask because mine were not but I was able to get hold of some which gave me an edge as they had a list of the essential things to know.

Another good thing is lots and lots of past papers because structure is such a huge part of A Level history. My teachers are big on getting the structure right and last year the A2 results had everyone with an A or above. If you want me to go into detail over structure, let me know.

Finally I wrote over 100 revision cards, singling out facts so that I would remember small but important details which really step up your grade. I often revised with my best friend and we tested each other.

We are getting to the point of the year where stepping up your game, if you haven't already, is a must. This time last year I spent 1/2 the Easter holiday at the school library revising from 8-5, taking an hour out for lunch. This made a big difference to me.

Good luck!

Please can you go into detail with strucutre please !
Original post by SuperHuman98
AQA? Im doing Russia and Modern Britain to :0

No way I'm on AQA too!! We can help each other out haha :tongue:
Anyone doing Edexcel History: Russia and the GDR (German Democratic Repulblic) - they're two seperate topics
Reply 10
This stuff is really helpful! I just hope I have enough time to do all the stuff before the exams,as for some unknown reason I decided not to make any form of revision notes cards for the first 6 months of the year :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending