The Student Room Group

Civil Engineering. University of Glasgow or Edinburgh

I have received unconditional offers at both Glasgow and Edinburgh to study Civil engineering Beng. I am in a big dilemma as I like both of them. At first i was in favor of Edinburgh as it is more prestigious however my best friend is going to study at Glasgow which made me to have second thoughts.
Edinburgh may have more reputation but Glasgow is also well respected and its nightlife is also booming. What would you suggest me to do?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Rafail yiakoumi
I have received unconditional offers at both Glasgow and Edinburgh to study Civil engineering Beng. I am in a big dilemma as I like both of them. At first i was in favor of Edinburgh as it is more prestigious however my best friend is going to study at Glasgow which made me to have second thoughts.
Edinburgh may have more reputation but Glasgow is also well respected and its nightlife is also booming. What would you suggest me to dw?

I certainly don't think that Edinburgh is more "prestigious" than Glasgow. Glasgow as a city has a lot of engineering activity (but there are also engineering design/consultancy firms based in Edinburgh too). I think you should visit both to see which one you prefer.
Original post by Smack
I certainly don't think that Edinburgh is more "prestigious" than Glasgow. Glasgow as a city has a lot of engineering activity (but there are also engineering design/consultancy firms based in Edinburgh too). I think you should visit both to see which one you prefer.

Unfortunately i dont have the opportunity to visit them.
Original post by Rafail yiakoumi
Edinburgh may have more reputation but Glasgow is also well respected and its nightlife is also booming. What would you suggest me to do?

Hello there!

Congratulations on your offers! :smile:
Those are both great offers and I am sure you would love your time in Edinburgh or here in Glasgow.

Reputation depends on many things. University rankings can mean one thing, but departmental rankings can mean another. Both universities have strong engineering departments so, if you know what you want to go into, it may be worth researching links or partners with each university.

In terms of the city, Edinburgh and Glasgow are very different. It makes sense to go to the place where you would be most comfortable and where you think you would be happier. If you are unable to visit either place then also look into what the cities have to offer, what they're notable for, benefits and drawbacks.

I study aeronautical engineering here in Glasgow and I love it. It's a really great city with a large student population, the engineering departments are very good and have very good links to industry. I have plenty of friends who do civil, but I am not fully aware of the course too much.

Hope this helps, and let us know if you have any other questions! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending