The Student Room Group

Physics- How hard?

Hello!
I'm dropping English because I think it's stupid being honest and taking up Physics at As. I've got the GCSE grades, just wondering if it's really hard though. I've heard some of my friends say it's solid and it's sort of put me off a little. Is it any harder than chemistry?
Thanks
Reply 1
IMO, AS wasn't too bad, though I guess it depends what board you do. The maths isn't too difficult either, just need some basic trig and algebra really. A2 was a bit more difficult.
Reply 2
apparently its the hardest a level to take but i guess thats a matter of opinion.

At the moment, i'm doing further maths and physics and tbh, i'm more worried about getting an A in physics.

The AS part of physics is very easy but I found the A2 stuff quite a big leap up from AS.
Ally
Hello!
I'm dropping English because I think it's stupid being honest and taking up Physics at As. I've got the GCSE grades, just wondering if it's really hard though. I've heard some of my friends say it's solid and it's sort of put me off a little. Is it any harder than chemistry?
Thanks

Physics AS was really interesting unlike chemistry
:smile: and by the way its nt hard if u do ur homework
Reply 4
like you said, i agree physics a level is one of the hardest A levels, but definately one of the easiest AS levels i've done (and ive done loads because im an indecisive dumbass). up to AS level is lovely!! - it is afterwards aswell, but hard.
AS = Easy

A2 = Hard

Admittedly that's not the most sophisticated analysis that you'll hear, but it is true!
Reply 6
I can't say much about A2 physics except from some second years I know, who say it's pretty hard. Also I can't compare AS physics with anything except AS chemistry, economics and maths.

I think it is quite easy, because I find this sort of thing easy - you know, the sort of person that can do calculations and things, but can't write an essay to save his/her life. Yeah, that sums me up.

If you are confident with maths (the toughest maths in physics AS is probably finding horizontal/vertical components by trig, and a general understanding of manipulating equations and rearranging by factorisation - mostly GCSE, and no calculus or anything (although some parallel resistor questions/potential dividers are beyond GCSE, and you have to use standard form and units well). Although I've seen M2 style questions involving kinematics and energy/work/power come up, so obviously A-level maths will help.

Compared to chemistry, I'd say physics is pretty similar in terms of the ratio of remembering facts to understanding concepts - there are about 5-6 laws to remember, a few random detials and about 10 experiments, but this is about it, and pretty easy if you work at it for 5 minutes every night.

Economics is totally different, in that you use very little maths and do a lot more writing.

To summarise this, it's not hard if you get help when you don't understand something, you can do maths well and if you are generally an intelligent person that can spot things and notice trends and tendancies in exam questions.
Reply 7
I think this depends on the syllabus too.

Latest

Trending

Trending