The Student Room Group

Is it too late to start studying Maths for a decent grade/Uni questions?

I know the old saying of "It's never too late to start studying" but with my first maths exam on the 10th of May I feel like I might be too far behind to be able to catch up. I pretty shamefully got an E on my December mocks, if I start revising C1, C2 and S1 (Exam board Edexcel) from Monday is it feasible to achieve a C in Maths? I feel confident in my other 2 AS levels but I fall in Maths.
I'm hoping to go to Cardiff University to study Business Management. How much do my AS levels count towards being accepted into a University. If I got an ABC in my AS levels then an AAB at A2 levels would that be a good foundation to build upon?
I don't do maths alevel but get started straight away and you won't be disappointed - I would say it's a pretty decent time to start revising - good luck
There's definitely enough time.
Original post by MightyMosDef
I know the old saying of "It's never too late to start studying" but with my first maths exam on the 10th of May I feel like I might be too far behind to be able to catch up. I pretty shamefully got an E on my December mocks, if I start revising C1, C2 and S1 (Exam board Edexcel) from Monday is it feasible to achieve a C in Maths? I feel confident in my other 2 AS levels but I fall in Maths.
I'm hoping to go to Cardiff University to study Business Management. How much do my AS levels count towards being accepted into a University. If I got an ABC in my AS levels then an AAB at A2 levels would that be a good foundation to build upon?

I think you have loads of time to revise as maths. Noone does well in mocks.In mocks i was getting Cs and Ds but got B overall in the real exam. You should just get your head down and start studying, even if you don't do well you'll know that you did well.
Reply 4
Original post by MightyMosDef

It is not too late you have like 3 months, I am also taking the same exams as you. I got AACD in my mocks. In Maths Computing Economics and Physics Respectively. I just strongly recommend that you do PAST PAPERS. I know people that just sit there reading the maths textbook over and over again that does F*ck all lol. I need help with economics as I am aiming for AABB minimum this year for AS
There's more than enough time, it's just how you use it. For maths, do at least 1 paper a week and mark them yourself, if you don't understand what you got wrong go pester your teacher (after looking at the markscheme), then practice the stuff you got wrong in the book with questions until you're confident on it and ready to start the next paper, keep this up and you'll see your grades rise soo much. Maths is just practice practice practice, don't try and read to learn maths (well you can try, but for most people it's the act of doing maths). Also, don't ever assume oh yeah I can do this question and skip it, do it, just incase you slip up.

Also, the more papers you do you'll see how similar they're each year and you should have less and less errors :smile:. If you ever need help with questions for C1-C2 post on TSR, you've got 3 months to improve your grades, don't waste your time :smile:. Good luck.
There is certainly enough time OP. Work through all the questions in the book and then attempt all the past papers. The questions will be very similar over the years and you will pick up speed and accuracy. I would also recommend a website called examsolution. It is very good.hood luck.

Quick Reply

Latest