The Student Room Group

Which uni would be better for investment banking?

Would it be best to go to a better/target university for investment banking like Oxbridge, LSE, UCL or Warwick but to study an unrelated subject such as english, geography, history or philosophy or go to a slightly lower down university like Manchester or Nottingham and study economics. The reason I wouldn't be abel to do economics at the others are because i haven't done maths for a-level and Nottingham and Manchester don't actually ask for maths. Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by modnar
Would it be best to go to a better/target university for investment banking like Oxbridge, LSE, UCL or Warwick but to study an unrelated subject such as english, geography, history or philosophy or go to a slightly lower down university like Manchester or Nottingham and study economics. The reason I wouldn't be abel to do economics at the others are because i haven't done maths for a-level and Nottingham and Manchester don't actually ask for maths. Thanks!

It'd be best to do the former, absolutely.

However, Econ at Notts is a solid choice and I can vouch to a couple of my friends there killing it with landing spring weeks/summer internships.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman

However, Econ at Notts is a solid choice and I can vouch to a couple of my friends there killing it with landing spring weeks/summer internships.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!! Do you also know any ways to get some good work experience, I'm in year 12 right now and have looked at most banks websites and all work experience programmes seem to be closed and I was hoping to be able to do some in the summer. I read you post on IB and found it very helpful but saw that you said they only was to get work experience while still in school was through family contacts but as my family has none do you know of any other ways? Thanks again! :biggrin:
Original post by modnar
Thank you!! Do you also know any ways to get some good work experience, I'm in year 12 right now and have looked at most banks websites and all work experience programmes seem to be closed and I was hoping to be able to do some in the summer. I read you post on IB and found it very helpful but saw that you said they only was to get work experience while still in school was through family contacts but as my family has none do you know of any other ways? Thanks again! :biggrin:

BAML's 'Banking Uncovered' closes very soon and it's open to year 12s.

Yeah, don't worry about getting work experience at this stage. Unless, you have the balls to reach out to current bankers at smaller firms yourself, I'd just stick to the structured programmes available.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you can do an unrelated degree at a top university and still go into investment banking?
Reply 5
BAML's 'Banking Uncovered' closes very soon and it's open to year 12s.

Yeah, don't worry about getting work experience at this stage. Unless, you have the balls to reach out to current bankers at smaller firms yourself, I'd just stick to the structured programmes available.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did start applying for that but got a bit stuck on the application form haha
I never thought of asking at smaller firms which i might actually try and do so thanks! :biggrin:
Original post by DeadEnd_96
So you can do an unrelated degree at a top university and still go into investment banking?

Definitely. Even at a not-so-top but good enough uni.

I know several people who've studied History, Biology, Music, Art, Classics and they all work in front office banking.
Original post by modnar

You do realise that choosing a subject for the sake of getting into a certain university is setting yourself up to fail? It doesn't matter how good the theoretical career prospects are, if you're not dedicated to that subject you're not going to get a good degree or enjoy your time at university. Please apply for a subject you're actually interested in rather than choosing something for the sake of improving your chances of getting into investment banking... particularly if you're thinking of applying to universities as intense as those you've listed.
Original post by Plagioclase
You do realise that choosing a subject for the sake of getting into a certain university is setting yourself up to fail? It doesn't matter how good the theoretical career prospects are, if you're not dedicated to that subject you're not going to get a good degree or enjoy your time at university. Please apply for a subject you're actually interested in rather than choosing something for the sake of improving your chances of getting into investment banking... particularly if you're thinking of applying to universities as intense as those you've listed.

This ^

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would agree with the above post. If you are interested in economic then, you should study econ at Notts instead of a random subject at Oxbridge or Warwick. You would feel more motivated whilst studying economics and perform better. You can get into IB from other subjects but if you're not interested in that subject it's a set up for poor performance.
Reply 10

I am just as interested in studying some other subjects (mainly history, archeology or geography) as i am economics so I'm sure i would enjoy either almost equally which is why i was wondering which would be the best option based on what career I'm thinking of going into. I know from hating some gcse's that i definitely couldn't study something for 3 years that I'm not at all interested just for career prospects! but thanks anyway haha :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by stochasticking
I would agree with the above post. If you are interested in economic then, you should study econ at Notts instead of a random subject at Oxbridge or Warwick. You would feel more motivated whilst studying economics and perform better. You can get into IB from other subjects but if you're not interested in that subject it's a set up for poor performance.

I am interested in both economics and other random subjects too haha, thanks for the advice though! :biggrin:
Original post by modnar
I am interested in both economics and other random subjects too haha, thanks for the advice though! :biggrin:

Okay either way you should have no trouble breaking into IB from those universities! :smile:
Reply 13
Okay either way you should have no trouble breaking into IB from those universities! :smile:

I hope so, but the trouble is getting into them first! :smile:
Original post by modnar
I am just as interested in studying some other subjects (mainly history, archeology or geography) as i am economics so I'm sure i would enjoy either almost equally which is why i was wondering which would be the best option based on what career I'm thinking of going into. I know from hating some gcse's that i definitely couldn't study something for 3 years that I'm not at all interested just for career prospects! but thanks anyway haha :biggrin:

Sorry for being skeptical but I find this a bit difficult to believe. Those subjects are already broad individually, I find it pretty hard to believe that you're genuinely equally interested in all of those subjects. I'm going to be completely honest, to me this sounds like you've not really done enough research into them...
Sorry for being skeptical but I find this a bit difficult to believe. Those subjects are already broad individually, I find it pretty hard to believe that you're genuinely equally interested in all of those subjects. I'm going to be completely honest, to me this sounds like you've not really done enough research into them...

I guess he can do a major/minor joint degree ie economics with history. That's definitely something that's possible.
Original post by modnar
I hope so, but the trouble is getting into them first! :smile:

Yes just try your best and hopefully that will be enough.
Reply 17

Haha its alright, but i genuinely am equally interested i them all! tbh i dont even find them that different, a lot of human geography and some physical links quite nicely with economics and i often find myself using things i learnt in geography in economics and vice versa. i think history sort of links to economics too and of course with archeology. i guess i just have a lot of different interests, i found it extremely difficult to chose my a-levels as i just liked everything equally and still miss doing english, maths and physics and others too! :u:
Reply 18
Yes just try your best and hopefully that will be enough.

Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 19
I guess he can do a major/minor joint degree ie economics with history. That's definitely something that's possible.

I have considered something like that, maybe by september i'll have a better idea of what i want to do. I'm girl by the way haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending