The Student Room Group

Mbbs or md

Hyy,

I am a student after my high school education and hoping to get attached with medicine. i don't know whether i should choose MBBS or MD programme. can anyone explain the difference between these two courses please?
In the UK, MBBS/MBChB are primary medical qualifications and what you will need to be a practicing, GMC registered doctor. MD is a postgraduate qualification that some doctors may wish to do.

In America their primary medical degrees are called MD or DO.
Reply 2
Original post by Quilverine
In the UK, MBBS/MBChB are primary medical qualifications and what you will need to be a practicing, GMC registered doctor. MD is a postgraduate qualification that some doctors may wish to do.

In America their primary medical degrees are called MD or DO.

not just america though, many in europe also do MD.

As for answering the question, I say do the course in the country you want to practice. If you wish to work in uk, the MBBS, if america or other country that have MD, do that instead.
Although its theoretically possible to move to another country after you graduate, most countries give priority to their own citizens/their own graduates since they have been trained in their medical system.

If you have a MBBS and want to move to america to work, you have to sit the USMLE, and if you're not a US citizen, you need to prove that another american can't fulfil that role instead, and even then they still prefer american trained doctors

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending