The Student Room Group

What are your biorhythms? Music that your body and mind connects with.

So a couple of months ago I went on Radio 6 live on air to talk about my 'BioRhythms'.

You choose three tracks to describe a different feeling that the song creates in you.

1. Physical Feeling- Can't help but move ya body ygm :dance:
2. Emotional Feeling- evokes emotions and makes you feel :sad: :cry2: :love:
3. Intellectual Feeling- Makes you think and stimulates your mind

So mine were:

Physical - Sprawl II by Arcade Fire- It always makes me dance and jig around no matter where I am. I love some of the words in it like 'quit these pretentious things and just punch the clock'. It makes me feel carefree and happy. Even though the song is upbeat the words are profound and I like that combination.

Emotional- Breathe me by Sia- This gets me every time. Whenever I am feeling heartbreak or loss or just generally fragile this song speaks to me on every level. I first listened to it when I was around 14 and I'm now 25 and I keep coming back to it. It's like having a friend that you can always rely on to get you. It also captures this feeling of vulnerability in me whereby despite growing up and transitioning to adulthood, I still just need to be taken care of.

Intellectual- Pale Blue Eyes by Velvet Underground- This song is just heaven. It's so slow and undemanding to listen to, and in that vain it allows me space in my head to just think and reflect and it also makes me feel calm. There is not much music that I can listen to whilst working or revising but this is one of them.

I'd be so interested, on Soppy Sunday- to find out what your guys 3 Biorhythm tracks would be!

And if you have the confidence you should e-mail them to Radio 6 because talking about it on there was a really good experience.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Physical - Your Graduation by Modern Baseball. This category probably changes week by week for me, and usually needs to involve a solid drum beat.

Emotional - Stay Home by American Football. Along with the rest of the album, melancholic and minimalist lyrics laid over some excellent musicianship that gives space to think, rather than just hearing what the singer is saying.

Intellectual - So What by Miles Davis. Relaxed but with a nice momentum that makes me what to be doing productive things whilst it, and the rest of the album, play.
Original post by offhegoes
Physical - Your Graduation by Modern Baseball. This category probably changes week by week for me, and usually needs to involve a solid drum beat.

Emotional - Stay Home by American Football. Along with the rest of the album, melancholic and minimalist lyrics laid over some excellent musicianship that gives space to think, rather than just hearing what the singer is saying.

Intellectual - So What by Miles Davis. Relaxed but with a nice momentum that makes me what to be doing productive things whilst it, and the rest of the album, play.

*Goes to listen*

I haven't listened to any of these songs before. :five: Thanks for sharing.
You finally make a thread worth posting in and nobody does :lol:

Physical Feeling:

Roy Jones - Can't be Touched

Emotional Feeling:

Literally hundreds but I will go for either:

The Parting glass - Cara Dillon
To Your Health - Keaton Henson,
Feels Like Home - Chantal Kreviazuk

Intellectual Feeling

I'm not really sure. Maybe some sort of protest song.

I'm going to go with Come Out Ye Black And Tans by The Wolfe Tones because it is more interesting than Dvorak's New World Symphony :lol:
Physical -
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird

Emotional -
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother

Intellectual -
[video="youtube;Vm0VBWnUhvU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm0VBWnUhvU[/video]

(srs)
Original post by CantGainWeight
Physical -

Emotional -

Intellectual -
[video="youtube;Vm0VBWnUhvU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm0VBWnUhvU[/video]

(srs)

Free Bird is fantastic.
Original post by ByronicHero
Free Bird is fantastic.

aye
Physical -

Emotional -

Intellectual -

(srs)

I was expecting some abuse from you CGW, but I love these songs especially, as Ironic said, Free Bird.
Original post by Ethereal World
I was expecting some abuse from you CGW, but I love these songs especially, as Ironic said, Free Bird.

You like Pink Floyd?
Free Bird is great but Atom Heart Mother feels genuinely like a religious experience and Echoes is probably PF's best work. Can't really describe how good their songs are
Physical Feeling
Beggin Madcon-Because breakdancing and step up, besides Moose is too inspiring to forget:biggrin:

Emotional Feeling
Love the way you lie-Cos this bit is too true SIDE NOTE THIS WAS 2010 FEEL OLD??!

I can only tell you what it feels like
And right now there's a steel knife in my windpipe
I can't breathe but I still fight while I can fight
As long as the wrong feels right it's like I'm in flight

Intellectual Feeling
Time -Hans Zimmer-The sheer conceptual dream and reality perception makes you think why you didn't revise for the chemistry test earlier making a pathway for evoking further thoughts about maybe revising wouldn't have made a difference anyway cos chemistry's so damn hard...or is it...?:s-smilie:
(edited 8 years ago)
You like Pink Floyd?
Free Bird is great but Atom Heart Mother feels genuinely like a religious experience and Echoes is probably PF's best work. Can't really describe how good their songs are

I do like PF but I'm more someone who likes individual songs rather than groups or artists per se.

So my iTunes is random af because if a song gets to me in both the sound and lyrics then I like it. Especially the lyrics.
Physical feeling
Grace - Lamb of God
Impossible not to headbang/air guitar to this. Makes me want to do things

Emotional
El Mañana - Gorillaz
Can't explain this, it's just always resonated with me.

Intellectual
Not sure
This one's difficult to decide on, I suppose technicality makes me think about music differently. I think i need to think about this one for longer
Physical Feeling :headbang:
Zardonic (electro/rock) -

[video="youtube;O2JAmTo_0zE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2JAmTo_0zE[/video]

Emotional Feeling

Stumbleine (chilled/electronic/instrumental)

Intellectual Feeling

Brian Eno - Music for Airports (ambient/instrumental)
(edited 8 years ago)
PF: Toejam & Earl - Toejam Jammin'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=301acFz0a_A&list=PLA468E2813CF52C60&index=1

EF: Rob Dougan - I'm Not Driving Anymore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0EMksOz5eI

IF: A Beautiful Mind 01: A Kaleidoscope of Mathematics [video="youtube;cDEx6tolC6w"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDEx6tolC6w[/video]
(edited 8 years ago)
Physical = Sigala - Sweet lovin' Radio edit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj5zT4t7S6c

Emotional = Mad world - Gary Jules. Heard this in town when I went to Wales when I was really little, easily my favourite sad song of all time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N3N1MlvVc4

Intellectual = Hanz Zimmer - Interstellar theme. I don't know why I chose this really
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDsCtDRV2uA
Hmm let me see...
I really can't decide on one for any of these categories :lol:

Physical Feeling

This charming man by The Smiths.
I can't not get up and dance when this song comes up.

Murder she wrote by Chaka demus and pliers.
This song was my childhood. I remember my friends and I would always put this on and learn to dutty whine back when that was the craze. Brings out my inner dancehall queen.

Emotional Feeling

Jeremy by pearl jam.
I cry everytime I listen to this. The way it's sang, the subject matter, everything. It just ruins me and I don't think there's anything I could relate more to.

Intellectual feeling

The stars are projectors by modest mouse.
This song is pure ****ing genius. Every aspect. Even the guitar tabs are genius. In fact everything this band has ever produced is genius. Honestly if Isaac Brock wasn't a singer he'd be a philosopher.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ethereal World
So a couple of months ago I went on Radio 6 live on air to talk about my 'BioRhythms'.

You choose three tracks to describe a different feeling that the song creates in you.

1. Physical Feeling- Can't help but move ya body ygm :dance:
2. Emotional Feeling- evokes emotions and makes you feel :sad: :cry2: :love:
3. Intellectual Feeling- Makes you think and stimulates your mind

So mine were:

Physical - Sprawl II by Arcade Fire- It always makes me dance and jig around no matter where I am. I love some of the words in it like 'quit these pretentious things and just punch the clock'. It makes me feel carefree and happy. Even though the song is upbeat the words are profound and I like that combination.

Emotional- Breathe me by Sia- This gets me every time. Whenever I am feeling heartbreak or loss or just generally fragile this song speaks to me on every level. I first listened to it when I was around 14 and I'm now 25 and I keep coming back to it. It's like having a friend that you can always rely on to get you. It also captures this feeling of vulnerability in me whereby despite growing up and transitioning to adulthood, I still just need to be taken care of.

Intellectual- Pale Blue Eyes by Velvet Underground- This song is just heaven. It's so slow and undemanding to listen to, and in that vain it allows me space in my head to just think and reflect and it also makes me feel calm. There is not much music that I can listen to whilst working or revising but this is one of them.

I'd be so interested, on Soppy Sunday- to find out what your guys 3 Biorhythm tracks would be!

And if you have the confidence you should e-mail them to Radio 6 because talking about it on there was a really good experience.

Physical- i don't do exercise
Emotional- the opening from angel beats
Intellectual(assuming this makes me think) i was thinking wtf is this guy making?-
[video="youtube;iPrnduGtgmc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPrnduGtgmc[/video]
Reply 17
Physical: Idk really. I'll go Can't Stop by the Chili Peppers, as it is quite hard to listen to stationary.

Emotional: too many, but the one that instantly grabs me lately is Kate Bush's This Woman's Work for some reason

Intellectual: Probably YYZ by Rush I guess
Original post by StrawbAri
Hmm let me see...
I really can't decide on one for any of these categories :lol:

Physical Feeling

This charming man by The Smiths.
I can't not get up and dance when this song comes up.

Murder she wrote by Chaka demus and pliers.
This song was my childhood. I remember my friends and I would always put this on and learn to dutty whine back when that was the craze. Brings out my inner dancehall queen.

Emotional Feeling

Jeremy by pearl jam.
I cry everytime I listen to this. The way it's sang, the subject matter, everything. It just ruins me and I don't think there's anything I could relate more to.

Intellectual feeling

The stars are projectors by modest mouse.
This song is pure ****ing genius. Every aspect. Even the guitar tabs are genius. In fact everything this band has ever produced is genius. Honestly if Isaac Brock wasn't a singer he'd be a philosopher.

Awwww strawbs these are lovely. Amazing choices !! :love:
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Physical: Idk really. I'll go Can't Stop by the Chili Peppers, as it is quite hard to listen to stationary.

Emotional: too many, but the one that instantly grabs me lately is Kate Bush's This Woman's Work for some reason

Intellectual: Probably YYZ by Rush I guess

Totally get you on the can't stop. I actually think it would be impossible to listen and stay completely still.

Quick Reply

Latest