The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

I'm an italian student looking for a chinese and business or similar degree

hi everyone, I still have one year to study at high school but I had a look on the UCAS website. I want to do a business and mandarin degree course, or mandarin with something about economy.
Do you know a good university to apply at?
I'd like to stay in a city, not expensive, with great nightlife and activities to do in the day, many green areas and friendly people.
what about these uni:birmingham, Leeds,manchester, Sheffield, lancashire,newcaste, edinburgh,hertfordshire, Nottingham.
I can apply 5 uni, I'm an international students so.. don't know anything.

many thanks guys

Scroll to see replies

SOAS (in London) is probably the best place to study Chinese; they have a combined Chinese and Economics degree. https://www.soas.ac.uk/cia/degrees/bachineseand/

Edinburgh, Manchester, Bristol, Glasgow, Sheffield, Leeds, Newcastle, Birmingham and Nottingham are all good places too.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
SOAS (in London) is probably the best place to study Chinese; they have a combined Chinese and Economics degree. https://www.soas.ac.uk/cia/degrees/bachineseand/

Edinburgh, Manchester, Bristol, Glasgow, Sheffield, Leeds, Newcastle, Birmingham and Nottingham are all good places too.

thank you, it might be difficult to be admitted in that university, and you know London could be very expensive if you don't know where to stay :/
Original post by martinaxx
thank you, it might be difficult to be admitted in that university, and you know London could be very expensive if you don't know where to stay :/

As I said in your other thread, Sheffield's an amazing uni to study Chinese at.

I haven't head the best things about SOAS, especially as they teach you traditional characters throughout your degree, whereas they use simplified characters in Mainland China, which is where you'll spend your year abroad. Seems a bit silly to me.

Also London's crazy expensive to live in, which you'll have to consider as you won't be eligible for a maintenance loan, meaning you'll have to pay rent and other living costs completely out of your own pocket
Reply 4
oh well seems impossible..
Do you know uni which give grants or maintenance loans ? [
I read the living costs of many uni and they are very expensive :s-smilie:

QUOTE=super_kawaii;63117359]As I said in your other thread, Sheffield's an amazing uni to study Chinese at.

I haven't head the best things about SOAS, especially as they teach you traditional characters throughout your degree, whereas they use simplified characters in Mainland China, which is where you'll spend your year abroad. Seems a bit silly to me.

Also London's crazy expensive to live in, which you'll have to consider as you won't be eligible for a maintenance loan, meaning you'll have to pay rent and other living costs completely out of your own pocket

Most unis will offer scholarships and bursaries although these are usually very competitive.

Here's some info about what's on offer at Sheffield.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/finance

As an EU citizen, you are permitted to work on the same terms as a native British citizen, which means you'll be able to earn some money to help support your keep. This is very common for British students, many of whom receive maintenance loans which do not even cover their rent
Reply 6
Got it.
Yes I think it will be the only way... [
I hope that if I will be admitted in one uni in UK to be able to study and work at the same time.

QUOTE=super_kawaii;63117825]Most unis will offer scholarships and bursaries although these are usually very competitive.

Here's some info about what's on offer at Sheffield.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/finance

As an EU citizen, you are permitted to work on the same terms as a native British citizen, which means you'll be able to earn some money to help support your keep. This is very common for British students, many of whom receive maintenance loans which do not even cover their rent
(edited 8 years ago)

You can look for scholarships but don't get your hopes up, there are very few available. I don't think EU students can get maintenance loans anymore either. If you can't afford to study in the UK, perhaps consider the Netherlands? I know you can study Mandarin as part of Leiden University's International Studies degree.
Reply 8
I can work.. Netherlands offers courses in english ? :smile:
I'll do the possible to study in UK[
QUOTE=Snufkin;63118343]You can look for scholarships but don't get your hopes up, there are very few available. I don't think EU students can get maintenance loans anymore either. If you can't afford to study in the UK, perhaps consider the Netherlands? I know you can study Mandarin as part of Leiden University's International Studies degree.
Got it.
Yes I think it will be the only way... [
I hope that if I will be admitted in one uni in UK to be able to study and work at the same time.

Chinese studies is a very rare course so it's highly likely you'll get accepted, especially at Sheffield.

You should think about how much of the language you want to learn as some unis focus more on language than at others. For example, Sheffield has a very intense focus on language over the 4 years, with students reaching HSK6 at the end of their degree, whereas I have a friend studying Chinese studies at Nottingham, which is only 3 years long, the year abroad is taught completely in English and in your 3rd year, Chinese language modules are completely optional! For me, the course at Nottingham would be a COMPLETE waste of money, as for me, language ability is important.

Original post by Snufkin
You can look for scholarships but don't get your hopes up, there are very few available. I don't think EU students can get maintenance loans anymore either. If you can't afford to study in the UK, perhaps consider the Netherlands? I know you can study Mandarin as part of Leiden University's International Studies degree.

Could EU students ever get maintenance loans?
Original post by super_kawaii

Yeh they used to be able to.
Original post by Snufkin
Yeh they used to be able to.

Must have been a long time ago then as my coursemates from the EU have never been eligible for maintenance loans
Reply 12
you're giving me hope aahah :smile: thank you!! they require 90% of italian diploma.. so I think that if I pass with 85 i can be admitted anyway ..

Chinese studies is a very rare course so it's highly likely you'll get accepted, especially at Sheffield.

You should think about how much of the language you want to learn as some unis focus more on language than at others. For example, Sheffield has a very intense focus on language over the 4 years, with students reaching HSK6 at the end of their degree, whereas I have a friend studying Chinese studies at Nottingham, which is only 3 years long, the year abroad is taught completely in English and in your 3rd year, Chinese language modules are completely optional! For me, the course at Nottingham would be a COMPLETE waste of money, as for me, language ability is important.

you're giving me hope aahah :smile: thank you!! they require 90% of italian diploma.. so I think that if I pass with 85 i can be admitted anyway ..

It's definitely worth applying to unis outside London. London's quite expensive and the people there tend to be quite ignorant about things happening in the rest of the country, let alone the world. It's also crazy expensive. I'm not looking forward to the prospect of doing a masters there.
Reply 14
good, I have 5 choices so the one will be Sheffield, then do you know Others which are good ? :smile:

It's definitely worth applying to unis outside London. London's quite expensive and the people there tend to be quite ignorant about things happening in the rest of the country, let alone the world. It's also crazy expensive. I'm not looking forward to the prospect of doing a masters there.
good, I have 5 choices so the one will be Sheffield, then do you know Others which are good ? :smile:

Leeds is a very good choice and they offer both Chinese and Economics and Chinese and International Business, which you might be interested in https://www.leeds.ac.uk/arts/coursefinder/22888/BA_Chinese_and_Economics?from=20043&categoryID=20043 https://www.leeds.ac.uk/arts/coursefinder/22894/BA_Chinese_and_International_Business?from=20043&categoryID=20043

Edinburgh has a good reputation, although I visited there on an open day and absolutely despised it, so wouldn't recommend it.

If you want to become proficient in the language, Nottingham would be a terrible choice IMHO
Reply 16
Yes I saw Leeds, seems a nice uni !!
just need to pass IELTS with good marks [:eek: 6.5 for an italian is an high score but anywayQ

Leeds is a very good choice and they offer both Chinese and Economics and Chinese and International Business, which you might be interested in https://www.leeds.ac.uk/arts/coursefinder/22888/BA_Chinese_and_Economics?from=20043&categoryID=20043 https://www.leeds.ac.uk/arts/coursefinder/22894/BA_Chinese_and_International_Business?from=20043&categoryID=20043

Edinburgh has a good reputation, although I visited there on an open day and absolutely despised it, so wouldn't recommend it.

If you want to become proficient in the language, Nottingham would be a terrible choice IMHO
Yes I saw Leeds, seems a nice uni !!
just need to pass IELTS with good marks [:eek: 6.5 for an italian is an high score but anywayQ

I think 5.5-6.5 is a very standard score for unis. You need to be able to speak a decent level of English, otherwise how are you going to pass, let alone get a good grade, in your degree at an English speaking institution?
Reply 18
in few months I think I'll be able.. those tests are very unuseful in my opinion..
tahnk you for all the advices you gave me[
QUOTE=super_kawaii;63119479]I think 5.5-6.5 is a very standard score for unis. You need to be able to speak a decent level of English, otherwise how are you going to pass, let alone get a good grade, in your degree at an English speaking institution?
in few months I think I'll be able.. those tests are very unuseful in my opinion..
tahnk you for all the advices you gave me

The tests are essential for universities however, as they can't accept students who do not have a suitable level of English, as if students can't speak English to a suitable level, they will end up failing the course, which does not reflect well on the universities. These tests are a legal requirement which you must pass before you can be permitted to study.

For some reason you don't seem to be quoting me correctly so I never get the notification you've replied

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending