The Student Room Group

Activity/fitness trackers

Hi all,
Just wondering if any of you use activity/fitness trackers, and which ones you would recommend if you do?

I've seen Jawbone, Fitbit, Misfit, MOOV, and others all advertised, and each seems to have pros and cons.

Just for context, as my exercise I do a mixture of swimming and circuit/HIIT-type workouts, so I would ideally like something that could track my swimming. With that in mind, I've been looking at the Misfit Speedo Shine, and the MOOV now, which has a swimming programme. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? I use an iPhone so could download the apps for them. I'm also interested in something that would track my sleep, and general activity/steps. A heart rate monitor would be nice but isn't essential.

Any insights from anyone who uses a fitness tracker would be welcome, and especially any fellow swimmers!
Reply 1
I have a FitBit Charge HR - which is not waterproof so not sure how helpful this is. I adore it, however there are some software problems. The FitBit customer service is unbelievable. I had a problem with my tracker syncing and they sent me a new one within a week. My boyfriend also has one, and his starting turning itself off and not working and they send him a brand new one too.
Theirs GPS watches out there that follow your meterage as you do them.

If you want something just to track progress, then a simple blog or an app like fitnotes. If you want something to count every step you do, fitbits and Mi's work.

It depends on what exactly you want it for

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thanks both.

Original post by D8238

While that does sound like good customer service, I find it a bit concerning that both you & your boyfriend have had problems with Fitbit products, even if they were replaced quickly. The Charge not being waterproof kind of rules it out for me though.

Original post by Angry cucumber

I keep a log of my swimming sessions, times etc., but I guess I was intrigued by things like the MOOV's swimming programme, which can supposedly also help with things like distance per stroke, etc.

I guess I would like something that could assist with my swimming workouts, while also keeping track of activity/steps. I'm also very interested in something that will monitor my sleep, as I have an odd sleep pattern/cycle sometimes so it would be good to keep track of it!
I have the garmin vivosmart which I use to track steps. It can track sleep and is waterproof but I'm not sure how it would do for tracking swimming. I'm sure there are garmin watches aimed at triathletes that are better designed for swimming though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I have a fitbit and it wouldn't be the thing you are looking for I reckon. You can add your swim session afterwards by logging say 1 hour of swimming, however you can't wear it while you swim and use it that way. Fitbits are more useful as a pedometer and "On land" tracker haha.
Reply 6
Original post by myblueheaven339
I have the garmin vivosmart which I use to track steps. It can track sleep and is waterproof but I'm not sure how it would do for tracking swimming. I'm sure there are garmin watches aimed at triathletes that are better designed for swimming though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I've seen the Garmin Swim watch, but aside from it being quite bulky (from what I can see), I also don't think it tracks steps etc.

Original post by Jenx301
I have a fitbit and it wouldn't be the thing you are looking for I reckon. You can add your swim session afterwards by logging say 1 hour of swimming, however you can't wear it while you swim and use it that way. Fitbits are more useful as a pedometer and "On land" tracker haha.

Yes, this what I'm learning about Fitbits. I wouldn't necessarily mind having to add the activity afterwards, but now that there are some trackers that purport to help with swimming, I thought I'd ask :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest