The Student Room Group

How many quotes do you need in your essay to receive an A* in English lit?

In common assessments at school my teacher won't give us an A unless we have a minimum of around 15 quotes. But that's a common assessment where we know 3 days in advance what the character or theme will be. In the actually thing you obviously won't know the character or theme until it's too late.
That's bull lmfao, I included like 2/3 per point and I only did 3 points and I got an A*. You should know alot of quotes so you have the right quote for the question, I think all in all I used like 6 quotes in the exam tbh. One being my main point and one to back it up and I did that 3 times
15 quotes? Thats way too many - anyway - quanlity not quantity. My english lit papers are all 45 mins long. That gives 5 mins to annotate and then 7-10 minutes a paragraph. Focus on getting the language analysis, purpose, structure and effect in the explanation. The amount of quotes should mean nothing - the explanation is much more important.

You want to use PEEL

Point
Evidence (1 quote)
Explain (what language is used [pick out a word and analyse it], why has the writer done this, how does it make the audience feel, how does this relate to structure)
Link back to the question

I managed to get 40 marks (a*) in my inspector calls essay mock and I had 4 good sized paragraphs with a quote each.

Hope this helps you - ask if you want me to explain anything :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Charlotte.13
15 quotes? Thats way too many - anyway - quanlity not quantity. My english lit papers are all 45 mins long. That gives 5 mins to annotate and then 7-10 minutes a paragraph. Focus on getting the language analysis, purpose, structure and effect in the explanation. The amount of quotes should mean nothing - the explanation is much more important.

You want to use PEEL

Point
Evidence (1 quote)
Explain (what language is used [pick out a word and analyse it], why has the writer done this, how does it make the audience feel, how does this relate to structure)
Link back to the question

I managed to get 40 marks (a*) in my inspector calls essay mock and I had 4 good sized paragraphs with a quote each.

Hope this helps you - ask if you want me to explain anything :smile:

How many points did you use?

Quick Reply

Latest