The Student Room Group

Farm work experience

So I have finally got a placement on a farm during Easter!!! Thanks everyone who gave me advice on how to get work experience😋😋😋 They have pigs, 1000 sheep, a lot of cows, chickens, an abattoir. I was just wondering if lambs are still being born at this time of year? Also I don't really know what to expect? Any advice anyone?
Lambing was great fun. I got to take out a lamb that had it's front legs caught on the journey out :smile:

Yes, Lambing can still happen at this time of year. The farm I was at only started lambing in April :smile:
It's a bitch to catch them when they are lambing. They tend to do it when you aren't there -.- It might be good to ask the farmer when they usually deliver, as I know the majority of the Ewes lambed at night at my placement. But there seem to be plenty of sheep so I don't think it will be a problem :smile:

For dairy cattle, I had to go chasing the cows in the field to bring them in for milking. I cleaned the udders, disinfected them and milked them. Then I had to go feed the calves. Had to do the same with lambs as some of them were twins and one maybe wasn't taking well to feeding, or the mother rejected them. It's class craic feeding baby lambs :smile: I also got to dock tails, so that may be an option too!

As for an abattoir, I have yet to get out to one. They may or may not let you see the process of the actual stunning and draining, but they might show you how they prepare the meat and test for parasites in the meat and stuff :smile: (from what the vet at an abattoir told me)

Waterproofs are a god send!! And warm clothing. Face wipes for the cows flinging dirt into your face with their tail -.-
Ask lots of questions if you are unsure, and bring a little notebook with you as it helps to keep a document of experience to talk about at interviews :smile:

And have fun! It's great getting out on farms, you'll enjoy it :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks so much for replying!!! This was really helpful and I'm really excited now:smile:
Lots and lots of warm clothes are needed for any farm experience :biggrin: layer up as a pose to taking big thick items of clothing, so if it's warmer than expected you can still take a few layers off. Waterproofs are also a must, but I imagine they will provide waterproofs for the milking parlour and abbatoir, but take your own for lambing. As you're not in vet school yet, I'd say go cheap and cheerful; there's no point spending a small fortune for the sake of a few weeks, as when you get to uni you often have to buy waterproofs from the uni anyway.
Sturdyish wellies as well- I got a pair of Dunlops from Deichman for about a tenner last year. These were good for lambing/kennel experiemce but be careful around cows- you might want to get steel toe caps, but again I'd just go cheap and cheerful and splash out a bit more later on.
KEEP A WORK EXPERIENCE DIARY IT IS ACTUALLY THE MOST USEFUL THING EVER. Also ask if you can take pictures because this might be helpful later on.
For lambing, there are a couple of lambing threads in this website that are really good and a tonne of information on the Internet. There are also some good books on lambing that you can get fairly cheap for second hand off amazon.
Lastly, take snacks, food and plenty to eat! They might feed you it they might not and there is nothing worse than going hungry in work experience! Snacks that come in wrappers, like tracker bars, are probably best because they're the most hygienic.

I hope you enjoy your WEX, working on farms was my favourite and it's great that you've got one with such a variety of animals :smile:
Anyone looking for lambing experience please get in touch 07775707044 thanks dylan
Reply 5
Original post by Louiseee_
Lots and lots of warm clothes are needed for any farm experience :biggrin: layer up as a pose to taking big thick items of clothing, so if it's warmer than expected you can still take a few layers off. Waterproofs are also a must, but I imagine they will provide waterproofs for the milking parlour and abbatoir, but take your own for lambing. As you're not in vet school yet, I'd say go cheap and cheerful; there's no point spending a small fortune for the sake of a few weeks, as when you get to uni you often have to buy waterproofs from the uni anyway.
Sturdyish wellies as well- I got a pair of Dunlops from Deichman for about a tenner last year. These were good for lambing/kennel experiemce but be careful around cows- you might want to get steel toe caps, but again I'd just go cheap and cheerful and splash out a bit more later on.
KEEP A WORK EXPERIENCE DIARY IT IS ACTUALLY THE MOST USEFUL THING EVER. Also ask if you can take pictures because this might be helpful later on.
For lambing, there are a couple of lambing threads in this website that are really good and a tonne of information on the Internet. There are also some good books on lambing that you can get fairly cheap for second hand off amazon.
Lastly, take snacks, food and plenty to eat! They might feed you it they might not and there is nothing worse than going hungry in work experience! Snacks that come in wrappers, like tracker bars, are probably best because they're the most hygienic.

I hope you enjoy your WEX, working on farms was my favourite and it's great that you've got one with such a variety of animals :smile:

Thank you so much!!! This is really helpful as i have a better idea of what to expect now:smile:
I've just moved to the UK from a country that has no vet - primarily why I want to be a vet- so i have ZERO experience. I just started year 12 and I want to start experience ASAP. I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for farm placements anywhere near West Yorkshire??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending