The Student Room Group

Review of HND Computing at DMU.

So im pretty angry at the whole course, and i have no where to rant to. As most people/places dont listen.

If you dont like longer stories sorry dudes. The TL:biggrin:R version :don't like the course, teachers are useless, stay in college get ur a levels in check.

Originally i applied for Computer Science with foundation year, because i gave up on the second year of my college(granted my bad) after i sat down with my prents whom refused to let me apply for a uni outside of Leicester, after that i just stopped caring and didnt do no coursework(did gt good B's in the exams tho)

Anyway, applied for dmu, in summertime i got a 'Unconditional changed course offer' in Computing, i thought yeah not bad atleast i got in.

Go to enrol at Dmu first day like everyone else, trying ti get my badge as most of it was done online. When its my turn the lady asks for my name and after pulling up the information, she tells me I need to go to Leicester College as i will be studying there.

What???

I didnt protest too much because i was so confused. I go over to LC where im in a horrible looking reception where they take my picure for my new EPIC badge on the worse Logitech webcam they had, they made me wait around an hour and a half to grt the enrolment sorted.

First day, met my classmates not a bad bunch, my tutor isnt bad either. Second half of the day is with a visually impaired teacher who because i was late to the class 5 minutes had a 15 minute BF(white chicks ref), i mentioned the disability because its really severe, this guy cant see how many people are in the classroom. After an hour of powerpoint slides completely irrelevant to the module, we get to the introductory part, he establishes no one knows anything about ASP.NET. I looked through the booklet we got and just come up with a hello world dialogue, i call him over he looked through the code and says "that is rubbish code" in a very rude manner. I mean atleast be supportive but the way he said it made me furious.
Fast forward until christmas break, i didnt get to see this teacher again where he would only talk to me to review my work. Like seriously not even to chekc up on me, nothing.

The teaching is very poor. We hve 3 teachers, an older dude teaches another module, hes okay. He basically just reads the board for us and we do the work. He admitted he'd never done this module before and doesnt understand much. So now he just prints of the presentation and we get on with it.

For the first ohase test we had our tutor forgot to give us the main file we needed, so he postponed the test a whole month. When we had 2 assignments just for him to hand in.

The whole atmosphere is really dull. Not to mention im paying big bucks to study at a college. Not a University.

So far its my year 1/3 of my degree, and im already not been to the blind guys class for like a month, because i stopped him in the elevator and asked him when the driving tests we have are. He replied simply "next week" i asked my fellow learners how theyve revised and prepared for the test, they told me it was 2 weeks ago and i wouldnt get marks even if i did everything.

If you are planning to apply to this course, dont. Stay in your current college and get your levels in check because you will want to fail this one too because it bloody sucks and you wont get the help or resources to actually benefit from course, not to mention the modules are dated back to when Tim BernersLee was initially researching for his WWW skit.
Original post by zeexl
So im pretty angry at the whole course, and i have no where to rant to. As most people/places dont listen.

If you dont like longer stories sorry dudes. The TL:biggrin:R version :don't like the course, teachers are useless, stay in college get ur a levels in check.

Originally i applied for Computer Science with foundation year, because i gave up on the second year of my college(granted my bad) after i sat down with my prents whom refused to let me apply for a uni outside of Leicester, after that i just stopped caring and didnt do no coursework(did gt good B's in the exams tho)

Anyway, applied for dmu, in summertime i got a 'Unconditional changed course offer' in Computing, i thought yeah not bad atleast i got in.

Go to enrol at Dmu first day like everyone else, trying ti get my badge as most of it was done online. When its my turn the lady asks for my name and after pulling up the information, she tells me I need to go to Leicester College as i will be studying there.

What???

I didnt protest too much because i was so confused. I go over to LC where im in a horrible looking reception where they take my picure for my new EPIC badge on the worse Logitech webcam they had, they made me wait around an hour and a half to grt the enrolment sorted.

First day, met my classmates not a bad bunch, my tutor isnt bad either. Second half of the day is with a visually impaired teacher who because i was late to the class 5 minutes had a 15 minute BF(white chicks ref), i mentioned the disability because its really severe, this guy cant see how many people are in the classroom. After an hour of powerpoint slides completely irrelevant to the module, we get to the introductory part, he establishes no one knows anything about ASP.NET. I looked through the booklet we got and just come up with a hello world dialogue, i call him over he looked through the code and says "that is rubbish code" in a very rude manner. I mean atleast be supportive but the way he said it made me furious.
Fast forward until christmas break, i didnt get to see this teacher again where he would only talk to me to review my work. Like seriously not even to chekc up on me, nothing.

The teaching is very poor. We hve 3 teachers, an older dude teaches another module, hes okay. He basically just reads the board for us and we do the work. He admitted he'd never done this module before and doesnt understand much. So now he just prints of the presentation and we get on with it.

For the first ohase test we had our tutor forgot to give us the main file we needed, so he postponed the test a whole month. When we had 2 assignments just for him to hand in.

The whole atmosphere is really dull. Not to mention im paying big bucks to study at a college. Not a University.

So far its my year 1/3 of my degree, and im already not been to the blind guys class for like a month, because i stopped him in the elevator and asked him when the driving tests we have are. He replied simply "next week" i asked my fellow learners how theyve revised and prepared for the test, they told me it was 2 weeks ago and i wouldnt get marks even if i did everything.

If you are planning to apply to this course, dont. Stay in your current college and get your levels in check because you will want to fail this one too because it bloody sucks and you wont get the help or resources to actually benefit from course, not to mention the modules are dated back to when Tim BernersLee was initially researching for his WWW skit.

That's not as worse than studying at a university in India.Here atleast we are taught C++,Basic electronics,database management,microprocessors,web designing, networking basics and digital computing in the 1st year.

Sounds OK right.But actually they teach outdated stuff.
We were taught Web designing and programing as if we were noobs.

And to take the cake we had the 8085

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply