The Student Room Group

Photography - Interview & Portfolio

Hello, I have applied to study Photography as a mature student this year. I have been invited to an interview to 2 of my options, the third option will offer me an interview based off of an online portfolio.

I am a bit nervous about what to expect from the interview.

Would anyone who has started studying Photography or had their interview already be able to share their experience of the interview and possibly share the portfolio they used at the time, having not come out of A level i'm not quite sure what level my photography is expected to be at.

Thanks in advance!
I've applied for photography at UWTSD, Kingston uni and the GSA.
Have an offer from UWTSD and Kingston. Waiying to hear back from the GSA (I've attended an interview).

For interviews, I'd just suggest to sit back, relax and be friendly. Be curios, and ask questions. Don't just sit there quietly and listen. Even though you may not talk a lot, make sure what you say shows some interest in the course.
Also. Know your personal statement well (!). If the uni required another essay, know it just as well as your personal statement.
If they ask about influences, inspirations and famous photographers - be honest! If you don't get inspired by, or know of any famous photographers do say so. They appreciate honesty. Instead, explain where you get inspiration from, and why.
That's all I can come up with, really. I'd say to not let your nerves get the best of you may be the most important, though. Don't get all tongue tied, and you'll be fine.
Reply 2
Thanks Suhwaki really great advice. I don't think I'm all too worried about the interview itself, Im pretty confident talking about my influences and such things. My primary worry at the moment is the standard that my portfolio images should be at. I am completely self taught as far as photography comes so I've never had any of my pictures face any academic scrutiny before. Nor have I been amongst peers with which I can compare myself, my only line of comparison is to the photographers who inspire me, and I am no where near their standard just yet.

I have two weeks before my interview and I am in the process of building up a portfolio, Is there anyone who has already been given an offer or started studying Photography who would be able to comment on the images I have or share the images they used in their interview so I can start to form a comparison.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139746832@N08/with/25300651145/
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Just thought I would bump this post, would be really nice to get some feedback from someone. I surely can't be the only person taking photography.

" I have two weeks before my interview and I am in the process of building up a portfolio, Is there anyone who has already been given an offer or started studying Photography who would be able to comment on the images I have or share the images they used in their interview so I can start to form a comparison.https://www.flickr.com/photos/139746...h/25300651145/ "

Quick Reply

Latest