The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Student Accommodation (Help)

Hello all,

I am in a slight predicament regarding accommodation at the University of Sussex. I attended an open day but missed the tour of the accommodation. From the website, I am currently interested in Northfields & Swanborough. I just wanted to know which is the best halls and for what reasons. As far as I am aware, Northfields seems the nicest but is a little further out.

Wifi is also a major factor for me. As sad as it is, I am a fairly big gamer. The university has said that the wifi is not sufficient to support gaming and services such as Xbox Live are blocked, is this true?

Has anybody stayed in Kings Road flats and what are these like?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Sam Withey
Hello all,

I am in a slight predicament regarding accommodation at the University of Sussex. I attended an open day but missed the tour of the accommodation. From the website, I am currently interested in Northfields & Swanborough. I just wanted to know which is the best halls and for what reasons. As far as I am aware, Northfields seems the nicest but is a little further out.

Wifi is also a major factor for me. As sad as it is, I am a fairly big gamer. The university has said that the wifi is not sufficient to support gaming and services such as Xbox Live are blocked, is this true?

Has anybody stayed in Kings Road flats and what are these like?

Thanks.

Northfield and Swanborough were my top two choices too because they looked the nicest. I'd preferably want to get Swanborough purely because of the location; being right outside the Jubilee building which I know is where the majority of my lectures will be. But I know that they only have like 200 bedspaces, whereas Northfield have over a thousand - so Swanborough would be a risky first choice. With that, you get a lot of international people in Swanborough because they get their results first, so they get their accommodation preferences first. Also, people with unconditional offers get accommodation first too; so I'd say that unless you're an international student or you got an unconditional offer, it wouldn't be worth putting Swanborough down as your first choice as the bedspaces would get taken up very quickly, being in the prime location with nice facilities and all. Northfield I would say have the nicest and newest facilities but you'd have to be up for the daily trek to your lectures.

I'm assuming King's Road is off-campus accommodation? I don't know as much about that unfortunately.

Yeah, the biggest complaint I hear from all of the people I know who attend Sussex is that the WiFi is absolutely diabolical, no matter where your accommodation is. So I guess it's only fair for the university to disable online console gaming so that it doesn't take up the WiFi and deprive people who need it to study.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Original post by pannyfrost
Northfield and Swanborough were my top two choices too because they looked the nicest. I'd preferably want to get Swanborough purely because of the location; being right outside the Jubilee building which I know is where the majority of my lectures will be. But I know that they only have like 200 bedspaces, whereas Northfield have over a thousand - so Swanborough would be a risky first choice. With that, you get a lot of international people in Swanborough because they get their results first, so they get their accommodation preferences first. Also, people with unconditional offers get accommodation first too; so I'd say that unless you're an international student or you got an unconditional offer, it wouldn't be worth putting Swanborough down as your first choice as the bedspaces would get taken up very quickly, being in the prime location with nice facilities and all. Northfield I would say have the nicest and newest facilities but you'd have to be up for the daily trek to your lectures.

I'm assuming King's Road is off-campus accommodation? I don't know as much about that unfortunately.

Yeah, the biggest complaint I hear from all of the people I know who attend Sussex is that the WiFi is absolutely diabolical, no matter where your accommodation is. So I guess it's only fair for the university to disable online console gaming so that it doesn't take up the WiFi and deprive people who need it to study.

DAILY TREK? Northfield is max 15 minutes away from the centre of campus at a normal walking speed (obviously longer for people who have mobility issues). If you think that's a 'trek', you're in for a shock when you live off campus. I see a lot of people on here saying Northfield is 'so far'. It's not. At all.
Reply 3
Original post by SmallTownGirl
DAILY TREK? Northfield is max 15 minutes away from the centre of campus at a normal walking speed (obviously longer for people who have mobility issues). If you think that's a 'trek', you're in for a shock when you live off campus. I see a lot of people on here saying Northfield is 'so far'. It's not. At all.

Alright, each to their own... For someone who lives in a rural county and drives everywhere, I would consider a 30 minute walk there and back (as a daily commute) a trek, yes. I'd rather accommodate outside my lecture block and be as safe as I can be from whatever hideous and unpredictable weather Britain has to throw at us. Obviously I could make-do with it if I was at Northfield, but I'm just saying Swanborough is preferable in that sense.
Alright, each to their own... For someone who lives in a rural county and drives everywhere, I would consider a 30 minute walk there and back (as a daily commute) a trek, yes. I'd rather accommodate outside my lecture block and be as safe as I can be from whatever hideous and unpredictable weather Britain has to throw at us. Obviously I could make-do with it if I was at Northfield, but I'm just saying Swanborough is preferable in that sense.

I'm genuinely astounded by this. Unless you have mobility issues then 15 minutes should not be 'a trek'.
Reply 5
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I'm genuinely astounded by this. Unless you have mobility issues then 15 minutes should not be 'a trek'.

We're different people with different preferences and tolerances. I get that it sounds stupid, but it's just what I'd prefer. And I'm sure that a lot of other people would prefer to have an accommodation closer to their block too.
We're different people with different preferences and tolerances. I get that it sounds stupid, but it's just what I'd prefer. And I'm sure that a lot of other people would prefer to have an accommodation closer to their block too.

I understand wanting to be 5 mins from lectures. But you should realise that after first year a lot of students are more than 30 mins from campus if buses are running well. Campus is tiny, you're never far from anything or anybody on campus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending