The Student Room Group

'Of Mice and Men' revision sites

Hey every1! :smile:

Unfortuantely its the gcse eng lit exam on tues and i been doin some revisin' from York notes and CGP books.

In the exam I'm doin about of mice and men, inspector calls and pre 1914 poetry

does anyone know any good revision sites for of mice and men in particular of any of the other things ive mentioned? :smile:

If so thanku sooooooooooooooooooo much for helpin, ur all stars! :biggrin:

Lauren xxx
BBC Bitesize has information on Of Mice and Men, An Inspector Calls, and some poems.
Reply 2
I have a whole load of quote that I took out the book myself and put under different headings. As I'm feeling kind and genours and Christan I might share them.

Loneliness and Dispossession

* ‘In front of the low horizontal limb of a giant sycamore there is an ash pile made by many fires; the limb is worn smooth by men that have sat on it’. pg 18
- Shows how many people have been there etc, on first page.

* ‘…first thing you know they’re pounding their tail on some other ranch’.

.* Living conditions - bunkhouse - page 38 descriptions.

* Curley’s Wife: ‘standing there looking in’
- shows alienation and isolation just before they’re introduced.

* ‘Aint many guys travel around together… maybe the whole damn world is scared of each other… the know how hands are, they just come in and get their bunk and work a month, and then quit and go out along. Never seem to give a man about nobody’.

*We’d have our own place we were belonged’. pg 85

*Crooks: ‘A guy needs somebody - to be near him… a guy goes nuts if he ain’t got nobody… I tell ya a guy gets lonely an’ he gets sick’.

* ‘Everybody wants a little bit of land… jus’ som’thing’ that was his.’ pg 108

* ‘I seen guys nearly crazy with loneliness for lan’.

Dreams

*Dream: ‘Lennie watched him with wide eyes… Lennie said softly, ’We could live offa the fatta the lan’’.

* Tells dream ‘rhythmically as though he had said them many times before’. pg 31

* ‘Live off the fatta the lan’’.

* ‘Red and blue and green rabbits, Lennie, millions of ‘em’

* ‘George sat entranced with his own picture.. They both jumped as though they had been caught doing something reprehensible’. pg 86

Foreshadowing

* ‘[Lennie] gets in trouble alla the time because he’s so God damn dumb. Like what happening in Weed… just wanted to touch that red dress, like he wants to pet them pups all the time’.
- also red dress - Curley’s Wife - similarities.

* ‘Aint no good to you (dog)… take him out and shoot him right in back of the head’.

*Dog’s shooting: ‘the silence came into the room. And the silence lasted… the silence fell on the room again. It came out of the night and invaded the room’. pg 75

* ‘this punk Curley is gonna get hurt if he messes around with Lennie.’ pg 48
- After Curley’s first appearance.

* Followed by: ‘[George] said ominously, ‘well, he better look out for Lennie. Lennie aint no fighter, but Lennie’s strong and quick and Lennie don’t know the rules’.

* Followed by Curley’s Wife discussion. ‘She got the eye’ etc.

* ‘I’m scared. You gona have trouble with that Curley guy… he’s gonna take a sock at you at the first chance he gets’.
- George to Lennie.

*Curley’s description followed by, ‘Lennie watched her, fascinated… he smiled admiringly’ pg 54.

*George: ‘she’s a rat trap if I ever seen one… got the eye goin’ all the time on everybody’.

* ‘ I ought to of shot that dog myself, George, I shouldn’t out to of let no stranger shoot my dog’
- Candy.

* ‘Sure he’s just like a kid. There ain’t no more harm in him than a kid, except he’s so strong. Pg 69.

Structure

- Parallel between opening and closing shows the rut, how in the time at the ranch they’ve achieved nothing, how they are powerless because they can’t achieve anything, ect.

Candy

* ‘The old man came slowly in’ (pg 45) with a ‘drag-footed sheep dog’.
- Similarities.

* Dog: ‘pale blind old eyes, struggled lamely… licking his grizzled, moth-eaten coat’.

* Candy: ‘white bristled cheek’
- Similarities

* ‘He aint no good to you, Candy’

Candy = ‘softly and helplessly.

Crooks

* ‘God damn nigger’.

* ‘In his room - ‘medicine bottles both for himself and the horses’. pg 98.
- shows he doesn’t have personal things despite being the only one with his own room.

* ‘I can’t play because I’m black. They say I stink‘. Pg 100

* ‘If I say something, why it’s just a nigger saying it.’ pg 102

* ‘This is just a nigger talkn’, an a back-nested nigger. So it don’t mean anything, see?’

* ‘Crook’s face lighted with pleasure in his torture’ - of Lennie.

* ‘Guy goes nuts if he aint got nobody’

* Candy makes ‘no attempt to enter’ Crook’s room.

* When in, ‘it was difficult for Crooks to conceal his pleasure with anger’ pg 107

* ‘Think I don’t like to talk to somebody ever’ once in a while?’

* ‘Crooks seemed to grow smaller… he pressed himself against the wall… “keep your place then Nigger. I could get you strung up on a tree so easy it ain’t even funny.”’

* ‘Crooks had reduced himself to nothing… his voice was toneless’. pg 113 + 114.

Lennie

* ‘…dragging his feet… the way a bear drags his paws’ pg 19.

* ‘Snorting into the water like a horse’. pg 20.

* ‘Lennie dabbled his big paw’ pg 20.

* ‘I pinched their (mice) heads a little and then they was dead - because they were so little’. pg 27

* ‘Sure he’s just like a kid. There ain’t no more harm in him than a kid, except he’s so strong. Pg 69.

* In fight with Curley: ‘Lennie covered his face with his huge paws and bleated with terror’. pg 91

* ‘Fist lost in Lennie’s paw’. pg 92.

* After fight: ‘crouched cowering against the wall…. Whimpering’.

George

* ‘Small, quick’ etc.

* ‘Smart little guy’. pg 65.

Lennie and George’s relationship.

* ‘Even in the open they stayed one behind the other’. pg 19.

* Slowly, like a terrier who doesn’t want to bring a ball to its master.’ pg 26.
- when Lennie gives George dead mouse.

* ‘Immediately Lennie got up and did the same thing with his bed’.

* ‘Lennie looked at George helplessly for instructions.’ pg 47.

Curley

* ‘…glanced coldly… his arms gradually bent at the elbows and his hands closed into fists. He stiffened and went into a slight crouch. His glance was at once calculating and pugnacious.

Curley’s Wife

* ‘She got the eye… Curley never seen it’. pg 49+50.

*‘A girl was standing there looking in… full rouged lips… heavily made up’.

* ‘leaned against the door frame so her body was thrust forward… she bridled a little… she smiled archly and twitched her body’. pg 53.

* ‘Rat trap’.

* ‘She ain’t concealin’ nothing… got the eye goin; all the time on everybody’. pg 78.

* ‘ They were all closed against her’ pg 112.
- she tries to talk.

* How’d you like not to talk to anybody?’ pg 123.

* ‘Aint I got a right to talk to nobody?’

* ‘Seems like no one cares how I gotta live’.

* ‘Her words tumbled out in passion of communication, as though she hurried before her listener could be taken away’.

* ‘She looked closely at Lennie to see if she was impressing him’. pg 124.

* ‘I don’t like Curley. He ain’t a nice fella’.

Curley’s Wife’s Death (chapter five)

* Repetition at beginning: ‘Only Lennie… Lennie sat… Lennie sat… Lennie looked… And Lennie said softly’.
- Creates ominous mood - do does short sentences - builds tension.

* Kills puppy: ‘They tol’ me and tol’ me you wasn’t. I di’nt know you’d get killed to easy’.
-Foreshadows her death because also warned about puppy, shows how unaware he is of his strength

( - outburst and death - )

* ‘He pawed up the hay until it partly covered her’.
- shows metaphor of Lennie = animal, again.
- uses short sentences to create tension etc, again.

*‘The light was growing soft in the barn’

*Repetition of word ‘quiet’ at top pg 129.

* ‘half-covering of tallow hay. And the meanness and the pain and the discontent and the ache for attention were all gone from her face. She was very pretty and sweet and young’.
- Long sentences again - drags out moment? Repetition - dramatic.

* ’Time awaked and moved sluggishly on’.

* Candy’s reaction: ’his sorry and anger grew into words. “You God damn tramp… everybody knowed you’d mess things up”’
- sorry towards his crushed dream, not her death.
- Confirmation for foreshadowing - knew it would happen.

* At this thought Candy’s eyes ’blinded with tears’ and he ’went weakly out’. pg 123.

* End: ’old Candy lay down in the way and covered his eyes with his arm.’

Chapter six

* Lennie ‘embraced his knees and laid his chin on his knees’.
- Child-like

* Description very similar to beginning of book, and also, ‘an never have no ketchup’. etc etc.

* George finds Lennie, talks ‘woodenly… his voice was monotonous, had no emphasis’.
- Foreshadows

*’The shouts of mean sounded again, this time much closer than before’.
- builds suspense.

* ‘The voices came closer now’.

* ‘He looked at the back of Lennie’s head, at the place where the spine and skill were joined.’
- references to dog’s death.

* ‘Lennie giggles with happiness’.
- Reminded, again, of his child-like nature.

* ‘Near the pile of old ashes’
- link to start again - all the people.

( - death - )

* Slim ’said softly.’

* ‘Georges voice was almost a whisper now’.

Duno if that's of any use, but I made them for myself so other people might not understand it. Also my notes are really breif because I know what I mean.
Reply 3
Thanku sooooooooo much, that was brilliant!!!!!! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Hey just searched of mice and men on the wiki and found these notes thanks a lot man :biggrin:
Reply 5
thanx a lot.. i 've mock tomoz so dis will help me a lot
Thanks sooo much AisAis!

:bl:

:2euk48l:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by AisAis
I have a whole load of quote that I took out the book myself and put under different headings. As I'm feeling kind and genours and Christan I might share them.

Loneliness and Dispossession

* ‘In front of the low horizontal limb of a giant sycamore there is an ash pile made by many fires; the limb is worn smooth by men that have sat on it’. pg 18
- Shows how many people have been there etc, on first page.

* ‘…first thing you know they’re pounding their tail on some other ranch’.

.* Living conditions - bunkhouse - page 38 descriptions.

* Curley’s Wife: ‘standing there looking in’
- shows alienation and isolation just before they’re introduced.

* ‘Aint many guys travel around together… maybe the whole damn world is scared of each other… the know how hands are, they just come in and get their bunk and work a month, and then quit and go out along. Never seem to give a man about nobody’.

*Crooks: ‘A guy needs somebody - to be near him… a guy goes nuts if he ain’t got nobody… I tell ya a guy gets lonely an’ he gets sick’.

* ‘I seen guys nearly crazy with loneliness for lan’.

Dreams

*Dream: ‘Lennie watched him with wide eyes… Lennie said softly, ’We could live offa the fatta the lan’’.

* Tells dream ‘rhythmically as though he had said them many times before’. pg 31

* ‘Live off the fatta the lan’’.

* ‘Red and blue and green rabbits, Lennie, millions of ‘em’

* ‘George sat entranced with his own picture.. They both jumped as though they had been caught doing something reprehensible’. pg 86

Foreshadowing

* ‘[Lennie] gets in trouble alla the time because he’s so God damn dumb. Like what happening in Weed… just wanted to touch that red dress, like he wants to pet them pups all the time’.
- also red dress - Curley’s Wife - similarities.

* ‘Aint no good to you (dog)… take him out and shoot him right in back of the head’.

*Dog’s shooting: ‘the silence came into the room. And the silence lasted… the silence fell on the room again. It came out of the night and invaded the room’. pg 75

* ‘this punk Curley is gonna get hurt if he messes around with Lennie.’ pg 48
- After Curley’s first appearance.

* Followed by: ‘[George] said ominously, ‘well, he better look out for Lennie. Lennie aint no fighter, but Lennie’s strong and quick and Lennie don’t know the rules’.

* Followed by Curley’s Wife discussion. ‘She got the eye’ etc.

* ‘I’m scared. You gona have trouble with that Curley guy… he’s gonna take a sock at you at the first chance he gets’.
- George to Lennie.

*Curley’s description followed by, ‘Lennie watched her, fascinated… he smiled admiringly’ pg 54.

*George: ‘she’s a rat trap if I ever seen one… got the eye goin’ all the time on everybody’.

* ‘ I ought to of shot that dog myself, George, I shouldn’t out to of let no stranger shoot my dog’
- Candy.

Structure

- Parallel between opening and closing shows the rut, how in the time at the ranch they’ve achieved nothing, how they are powerless because they can’t achieve anything, ect.

Candy

* ‘The old man came slowly in’ (pg 45) with a ‘drag-footed sheep dog’.
- Similarities.

* Dog: ‘pale blind old eyes, struggled lamely… licking his grizzled, moth-eaten coat’.

* Candy: ‘white bristled cheek’
- Similarities

* ‘He aint no good to you, Candy’

Candy = ‘softly and helplessly.

Crooks

* ‘God damn ******’.

* ‘In his room - ‘medicine bottles both for himself and the horses’. pg 98.
- shows he doesn’t have personal things despite being the only one with his own room.

* ‘I can’t play because I’m black. They say I stink‘. Pg 100

* ‘If I say something, why it’s just a ****** saying it.’ pg 102

* ‘This is just a ****** talkn’, an a back-nested ******. So it don’t mean anything, see?’

* ‘Crook’s face lighted with pleasure in his torture’ - of Lennie.

* ‘Guy goes nuts if he aint got nobody’

* Candy makes ‘no attempt to enter’ Crook’s room.

* When in, ‘it was difficult for Crooks to conceal his pleasure with anger’ pg 107

* ‘Think I don’t like to talk to somebody ever’ once in a while?’

* ‘Crooks seemed to grow smaller… he pressed himself against the wall… “keep your place then ******. I could get you strung up on a tree so easy it ain’t even funny.”’

* ‘Crooks had reduced himself to nothing… his voice was toneless’. pg 113 + 114.

Lennie

* ‘…dragging his feet… the way a bear drags his paws’ pg 19.

* ‘Snorting into the water like a horse’. pg 20.

* ‘Lennie dabbled his big paw’ pg 20.

* ‘I pinched their (mice) heads a little and then they was dead - because they were so little’. pg 27

* In fight with Curley: ‘Lennie covered his face with his huge paws and bleated with terror’. pg 91

* ‘Fist lost in Lennie’s paw’. pg 92.

* After fight: ‘crouched cowering against the wall…. Whimpering’.

George

* ‘Small, quick’ etc.

* ‘Smart little guy’. pg 65.

Lennie and George’s relationship.

* ‘Even in the open they stayed one behind the other’. pg 19.

* Slowly, like a terrier who doesn’t want to bring a ball to its master.’ pg 26.
- when Lennie gives George dead mouse.

* ‘Immediately Lennie got up and did the same thing with his bed’.

* ‘Lennie looked at George helplessly for instructions.’ pg 47.

Curley

* ‘…glanced coldly… his arms gradually bent at the elbows and his hands closed into fists. He stiffened and went into a slight crouch. His glance was at once calculating and pugnacious.

Curley’s Wife

* ‘She got the eye… Curley never seen it’. pg 49+50.

*‘A girl was standing there looking in… full rouged lips… heavily made up’.

* ‘leaned against the door frame so her body was thrust forward… she bridled a little… she smiled archly and twitched her body’. pg 53.

* ‘Rat trap’.

* ‘She ain’t concealin’ nothing… got the eye goin; all the time on everybody’. pg 78.

* ‘ They were all closed against her’ pg 112.
- she tries to talk.

* How’d you like not to talk to anybody?’ pg 123.

* ‘Aint I got a right to talk to nobody?’

* ‘Seems like no one cares how I gotta live’.

* ‘Her words tumbled out in passion of communication, as though she hurried before her listener could be taken away’.

* ‘She looked closely at Lennie to see if she was impressing him’. pg 124.

* ‘I don’t like Curley. He ain’t a nice fella’.

Curley’s Wife’s Death (chapter five)

* Repetition at beginning: ‘Only Lennie… Lennie sat… Lennie sat… Lennie looked… And Lennie said softly’.
- Creates ominous mood - do does short sentences - builds tension.

* Kills puppy: ‘They tol’ me and tol’ me you wasn’t. I di’nt know you’d get killed to easy’.
-Foreshadows her death because also warned about puppy, shows how unaware he is of his strength

( - outburst and death - )

* ‘He pawed up the hay until it partly covered her’.
- shows metaphor of Lennie = animal, again.
- uses short sentences to create tension etc, again.

*‘The light was growing soft in the barn’

*Repetition of word ‘quiet’ at top pg 129.

* ‘half-covering of tallow hay. And the meanness and the pain and the discontent and the ache for attention were all gone from her face. She was very pretty and sweet and young’.
- Long sentences again - drags out moment? Repetition - dramatic.

* ’Time awaked and moved sluggishly on’.

* Candy’s reaction: ’his sorry and anger grew into words. “You God damn tramp… everybody knowed you’d mess things up”’
- sorry towards his crushed dream, not her death.
- Confirmation for foreshadowing - knew it would happen.

* At this thought Candy’s eyes ’blinded with tears’ and he ’went weakly out’. pg 123.

* End: ’old Candy lay down in the way and covered his eyes with his arm.’

Chapter six

* Lennie ‘embraced his knees and laid his chin on his knees’.
- Child-like

* Description very similar to beginning of book, and also, ‘an never have no ketchup’. etc etc.

* George finds Lennie, talks ‘woodenly… his voice was monotonous, had no emphasis’.
- Foreshadows

*’The shouts of mean sounded again, this time much closer than before’.
- builds suspense.

* ‘The voices came closer now’.

* ‘He looked at the back of Lennie’s head, at the place where the spine and skill were joined.’
- references to dog’s death.

* ‘Lennie giggles with happiness’.
- Reminded, again, of his child-like nature.

* ‘Near the pile of old ashes’
- link to start again - all the people.

( - death - )

* Slim ’said softly.’

* ‘Georges voice was almost a whisper now’.

Duno if that's of any use, but I made them for myself so other people might not understand it. Also my notes are really breif because I know what I mean.

Dat was reali helpful .. Fhaaaaanksz :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending