The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Physics Applicants 2016 - University of Edinburgh

Hey everyone! This is a thread for people who have applied to any physics course at the University of Edinburgh for entry this year. You can start by mentioning the course you have applied to, whether you have an offer yet or not and what the conditions of you offer are (unless it is unconditional obviously), if the UoE is your first choice or not, etc... Current students are also welcome in this thread!! It would be great to get some advice and hear your opinions about your course, the university and the life at Edinburgh.

I am a Spanish MPhys Mathematical Physics applicant, and I have recently received a conditional offer, asking for AAA at A-Level with AA in Maths and Physics. Right now I am deciding whether if the UoE or St Andrews will be my firm, but right now I am leaning more towards the UoE.

Scroll to see replies

Hello! I'm also an MPhys Mathematical Physics applicant, and I also have a conditional offer of AAA with AA in Maths and Physics. I have actually firmed Edinburgh, and I put York as my insurance.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
I have seen all of you in the UoE applicants forum, lets get this thread going!!! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by PLM98
I have seen all of you in the UoE applicants forum, lets get this thread going!!! :biggrin:

Thanks for the tag

I have an offer for 2nd year entry into chemical physics. Likely to make Edinburgh my insurance
Hey guys, I'm a MPhys applicant for regular physics 2nd year at Edinburgh (: A*AA with A* in maths

I'm not sure about firm, but it is either Manchester, Edinburgh or UCL(maybe york or ucl as insurance since both AA offers) - I prefer Edinburgh for location
Original post by C0balt
Thanks for the tag

I have an offer for 2nd year entry into chemical physics. Likely to make Edinburgh my insurance

Awesome, what is your 2nd year offer, if you don't mind me asking? And where are you thinking of firming?
Reply 6
Original post by iscribbletoomuch
Awesome, what is your 2nd year offer, if you don't mind me asking? And where are you thinking of firming?

Hey congrats for your offer :awesome:
It's A*AA in any of maths physics chemistry
I am firming Cambridge

Are you from Scotland as you were talking about location?
If I understood correctly you can take a module from outside physics department initially right? What do you plan to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Hey congrats for your offer :awesome:
It's A*AA in any of maths physics chemistry
I am firming Cambridge

Are you from Scotland as you were talking about location?
If I understood correctly you can take a module from outside physics department initially right? What do you plan to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woah good job with that Cambridge offer! That's awesome :banana:
And that's a good offer. I have a friend who got A*AA for first year entry when typical is ABB/AAB lol

Nope, I'm from England. I mean a good location as in it looks like such a wonderful city compared to my other offers - I don't really like london's atmosphere, and when I visited manchester it looked super rough in many areas.

Yeah I am a tad unclear about that, but it seems that you just need to have the space in your timetable :tongue: I've been hoping that I'll get the chance to attend a computer science, costuming or animation module if possible, but we will see :smile: What are you thinking of?
Reply 8
Woah good job with that Cambridge offer! That's awesome :banana:
And that's a good offer. I have a friend who got A*AA for first year entry when typical is ABB/AAB lol

Nope, I'm from England. I mean a good location as in it looks like such a wonderful city compared to my other offers - I don't really like london's atmosphere, and when I visited manchester it looked super rough in many areas.

Yeah I am a tad unclear about that, but it seems that you just need to have the space in your timetable :tongue: I've been hoping that I'll get the chance to attend a computer science, costuming or animation module if possible, but we will see :smile: What are you thinking of?

Thanks haha
Wow really? Thank God my offer is a sensible standard offer, or else I'd have to insure somewhere else :tongue:

Yeah I visited Edinburgh once and it is a beautiful place. I also have an offer from a London uni but Im not too keen on the idea of living in London either.
Another insurance option for me is Durham but I've not visited there... But I live abroad so I don't really want to take days off school and spend money on travelling for an insurance choice you know!

Costuming or animation, thats an uncommon interest for a physicist :tongue:
Chemical physicists don't get the option actually, because it is compulsory for us to take chemistry, physics and maths. But if I were to choose something outside of science, I'd do French or possibly Philosophy :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Thanks haha
Wow really? Thank God my offer is a sensible standard offer, or else I'd have to insure somewhere else :tongue:

Yeah I visited Edinburgh once and it is a beautiful place. I also have an offer from a London uni but Im not too keen on the idea of living in London either.
Another insurance option for me is Durham but I've not visited there... But I live abroad so I don't really want to take days off school and spend money on travelling for an insurance choice you know!

Costuming or animation, thats an uncommon interest for a physicist :tongue:
Chemical physicists don't get the option actually, because it is compulsory for us to take chemistry, physics and maths. But if I were to choose something outside of science, I'd do French or possibly Philosophy :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha ikr :unsure: I don't think he is too pleased with it xD

Edinburgh just seems to be a nicer place in general - much less rough, and the castle is stunning! Durham has a great rep, but Edinburgh is where the cool kids go :wink: I live abroad too, and I totally get what you mean! It cost me a few hundred £ just to get to manchester for an interview :tongue: I could only afford one so I had to forfeit my york interview haha Did you get online interviews?

Yeah, maybe a tad :tongue: but I couldn't choose between studying physics or film so idk

Darn that sucks! Well... I guess it is alright if you like chemistry :biggrin: Which A levels/as are you doing?
I've applied for Maths and Physics, and my offer is A*AA!
Reply 11
Haha ikr :unsure: I don't think he is too pleased with it xD

Edinburgh just seems to be a nicer place in general - much less rough, and the castle is stunning! Durham has a great rep, but Edinburgh is where the cool kids go :wink: I live abroad too, and I totally get what you mean! It cost me a few hundred £ just to get to manchester for an interview :tongue: I could only afford one so I had to forfeit my york interview haha Did you get online interviews?

Yeah, maybe a tad :tongue: but I couldn't choose between studying physics or film so idk

Darn that sucks! Well... I guess it is alright if you like chemistry :biggrin: Which A levels/as are you doing?

Durham has a great rep but it's not very internationally known. I think Edinburgh is ahead on international reputation :wink:
Nah I didn't get online interviews. I had to physically go to my Imperial and Cambridge interviews :tongue: But to be honest I am absolutely rubbish at talking on phone so really glad I went in person :lol:

Ah Scottish uni is really good for you then, you get to do something else completely different!

I'm doing maths physics chemistry and further maths and EPQ. Yourself? Probably similar? :tongue:
I have an unconditional for bsc Physics 😊
Original post by Caramell
I have an unconditional for bsc Physics 😊

Oh wow very impressive!
Original post by C0balt
Durham has a great rep but it's not very internationally known. I think Edinburgh is ahead on international reputation :wink:
Nah I didn't get online interviews. I had to physically go to my Imperial and Cambridge interviews :tongue: But to be honest I am absolutely rubbish at talking on phone so really glad I went in person :lol:

Ah Scottish uni is really good for you then, you get to do something else completely different!

I'm doing maths physics chemistry and further maths and EPQ. Yourself? Probably similar? :tongue:

It's werid how much rankings differ from national to international, but that does sound right :tongue: That's good then, and you get to check out the uni while you are there! :smile:

Oh nice, what's EPQ? I'm doing maths, further maths, physics and biology - I dropped economics after AS :tongue: Like 90% of physics applicants are doing maths, fm and phys lol
Reply 15
It's werid how much rankings differ from national to international, but that does sound right :tongue: That's good then, and you get to check out the uni while you are there! :smile:

Oh nice, what's EPQ? I'm doing maths, further maths, physics and biology - I dropped economics after AS :tongue: Like 90% of physics applicants are doing maths, fm and phys lol

If I were a UK citizen I'd have not thought about my insurance much and chosen Durham probably, but being an international and having the two opposing data made me look into the courses more etc so that's good :tongue:

EPQ stands for extended project qualification, in which you write a dissertation (or carry out investigation/make an artefact etc ) on a topic you want to explore in depth. It is a very good learning process and I've enjoyed some parts of it but other parts are a massive pain in the arsenic and it's so time consuming :lol:

Oh biology! I'd considered taking it instead of FM but I don't like ecology stuff so decided against it :ahee:
Yeah especially on TSR so many do FM lol
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
If I were a UK citizen I'd have not thought about my insurance much and chosen Durham probably, but being an international and having the two opposing data made me look into the courses more etc so that's good :tongue:

EPQ stands for extended project qualification, in which you write a dissertation (or carry out investigation/make an artefact etc ) on a topic you want to explore in depth. It is a very good learning process and I've enjoyed some parts of it but other parts are a massive pain in the arsenic and it's so time consuming :lol:

Oh biology! I'd considered taking it instead of FM but I don't like ecology stuff so decided against it :ahee:
Yeah especially on TSR so many do FM lol
Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough :tongue:

Ahh right, that sounds like a fair bit of work - idt we get many subjects like that here(aside from dt/art), probably because we are all lazy students :biggrin:

That was a smart move on your part, I hate bio :tongue: Fm is much more fun :smile: Anyways, maybe I'll see you at Edinburgh, although I hope that's not the case since cambridge sounds rather shiny xD
Reply 17
Fair enough :tongue:

Ahh right, that sounds like a fair bit of work - idt we get many subjects like that here(aside from dt/art), probably because we are all lazy students :biggrin:

That was a smart move on your part, I hate bio :tongue: Fm is much more fun :smile: Anyways, maybe I'll see you at Edinburgh, although I hope that's not the case since cambridge sounds rather shiny xD

Yeah it gives half the UCAS points of an A level but it is a lot of work lol. And it's an independent research on a topic your teachers aren't necessarily an expert of so you don't get much guidance :colonhash: EPQ drop rate is usually really high, and only a few take it haha

Yeah I don't regret my choice :yep: Haha Id like to see you but hopefully not in Edinburgh this September :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Yeah it gives half the UCAS points of an A level but it is a lot of work lol. And it's an independent research on a topic your teachers aren't necessarily an expert of so you don't get much guidance :colonhash: EPQ drop rate is usually really high, and only a few take it haha

Yeah I don't regret my choice :yep: Haha Id like to see you but hopefully not in Edinburgh this September :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does it count towards any of your offers? :biggrin: That sounds a lot tougher than A levels! Most teachers don't seem to be experts anyway :tongue: lol I don't even do it but I already want to drop it haha

That's probably a good thing :wink: I hope everything goes smoothly :h:
Reply 19
Does it count towards any of your offers? :biggrin: That sounds a lot tougher than A levels! Most teachers don't seem to be experts anyway :tongue: lol I don't even do it but I already want to drop it haha

That's probably a good thing :wink: I hope everything goes smoothly :h:

Nope, thankfully not. :ahee: So I'm not really putting much effort into it, but I think it's been a good learning process and a way to keep up my English :top:
Haha I need an A* in FM which I'm slightly worried about but oh well, I cant complain, an offer is an offer :mmm:
Good luck with your exams too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending