The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Are foundation years worth it?

I've got an offer from Nottingham for classical civilisation (with a foundation year). The offer is only BCC so i'm considering it as my insurance but I really don't know much about foundation years at all.
Has anyone done one or have an opinion on them? Even if its not for classical civ i'd love to hear it!
Reply 1
I've received an unconditional offer for Ancient History with foundation year at Nottingham. The course is brand new to the university this year and when I met with the course leaders they seemed really enthusiastic. Seems perfect for me to set me up for the first year of the degree proper as I've been out of education for a while!
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Russell_
I've received an unconditional offer for Ancient History with foundation year at Nottingham. The course is brand new to the university this year and when I met with the course leaders they seemed really enthusiastic. Seems perfect for me to set me up for the first year of the degree proper as I've been out of education for a while!

Congrats!! I haven't been able to visit there as its so far away from where I live, what did you think of the campus?
Reply 3
Unfortunately I only had about an hour on campus but it looked lovely. Will be visiting again to have a more detailed look around. I live quite far away too! Where are you hoping to study?
Reply 4
Original post by Russell_
Unfortunately I only had about an hour on campus but it looked lovely. Will be visiting again to have a more detailed look around. I live quite far away too! Where are you hoping to study?

Ah cool, hopefully you'll like it still. I have royal holloway as a firm choice and Nottingham seems like a good insurance. Did you find out much about the foundation year scheme when you visited? I don't really know anything about it :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by __holly
I've got an offer from Nottingham for classical civilisation (with a foundation year). The offer is only BCC so i'm considering it as my insurance but I really don't know much about foundation years at all.
Has anyone done one or have an opinion on them? Even if its not for classical civ i'd love to hear it!

Hiya, I'm currently doing the Foundation certificate in Arts and social sciences and I love it! Now I don't know if it's worth it because my friends who did foundation and are also doing foundation are doing different modules from what I'm doing so maybe it's important as I want to continue in Nottingham after the foundation course.

I hope I helped, feel free to ask any questions
Reply 6
Original post by Amie_U
Hiya, I'm currently doing the Foundation certificate in Arts and social sciences and I love it! Now I don't know if it's worth it because my friends who did foundation and are also doing foundation are doing different modules from what I'm doing so maybe it's important as I want to continue in Nottingham after the foundation course.

I hope I helped, feel free to ask any questions

Happy to hear you're enjoying it, it's really reassuring :smile:. Are you finding it much harder than A levels?
Reply 7
Original post by __holly
Happy to hear you're enjoying it, it's really reassuring :smile:. Are you finding it much harder than A levels?

Hahaha, I started the foundation course right after I graduated from high school so I didn't do Alevels but I know for a fact that the foundation is much much easier, at least I can say for the arts and social sciences certificate. 😊
Reply 8
Original post by Amie_U
Hahaha, I started the foundation course right after I graduated from high school so I didn't do Alevels but I know for a fact that the foundation is much much easier, at least I can say for the arts and social sciences certificate. 😊

sorry i always assume people do/did a levels when so many people don't haha. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by __holly
sorry i always assume people do/did a levels when so many people don't haha. :smile:

Haha it's okay, what course do you want to study?
Reply 10
Original post by Amie_U
Haha it's okay, what course do you want to study?

classical civilisation, hopefully :smile:. what are you doing?
Reply 11
Original post by __holly
classical civilisation, hopefully . what are you doing?

I'm doing the Foundation in Arts and social sciences now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest