The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham vs St Andrews

I have an offer from both Durham and St Andrews to study philosophy next year.I've already decided on my firm but I am struggling to choose between Durham and St Andrews for my insurance choice.Any guidance/advise? Either on the course in particular or university in general.Thanks.
Reply 1
st andrews is 2nd best in the uk and durham is like 25th for philosophy. that's all i've got to say.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by MaiBr13
st andrews is 2nd best in the uk and durham is like 25th for philosophy. that's all i've got to say.

Don't know where you got that information! According to the league tables, Durham is ranked only slightly below St Andrews and St Andrews is not second in the country by any means.

Original post by Platopus
Don't know where you got that information! According to the league tables, Durham is ranked only slightly below St Andrews and St Andrews is not second in the country by any means.

I think they were maybe referring to the QS rankings in which St Andrews is placed 14th in the world and 4th in the UK (behind Oxbridge and LSE).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4

I checked the guardian league tables which are very reliable for the UK. Sorry if I jumped the gun a bit if other league tables say differently, I just tend to stick to the guardian.

Attachment not found

EDIT: also because the guardian removes stuff like research done as this isn't normally relevant for prospective students
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by MaiBr13
I checked the guardian league tables which are very reliable for the UK. Sorry if I jumped the gun a bit if other league tables say differently, I just tend to stick to the guardian.

Attachment not found

EDIT: also because the guardian removes stuff like research done as this isn't normally relevant for prospective students

Hmm that's interesting. It would imply I should firm St Andrews instead of Cambridge...
Reply 6
Hmm that's interesting. It would imply I should firm St Andrews instead of Cambridge...

Cambridge isn't always top in everything, although I'm sure always top 5. Politics is also better at St Andrews. But no, your whole decision shouldn't be based on league tables, it's down to how you feel as a whole and Cambridge has a very prestigious reputation.
Either way, congratulations on your offers.
Reply 7
Original post by MaiBr13
Cambridge isn't always top in everything, although I'm sure always top 5. Politics is also better at St Andrews. But no, your whole decision shouldn't be based on league tables, it's down to how you feel as a whole and Cambridge has a very prestigious reputation.
Either way, congratulations on your offers.

Thanks. Overall I still love Cambridge so will be firming it regardless of rankings.

Quick Reply

Latest