The Student Room Group

student loan and step parents

my husband and I earn over 60k . however he is not happy to declare income or contribute in any way towards my sons living and accommodation costs ... what can i do as we live together but my income is much less
He has to declare it, I'm afraid. It's based on who the student lives with.
Reply 2
Original post by alichristie
my husband and I earn over 60k . however he is not happy to declare income or contribute in any way towards my sons living and accommodation costs ... what can i do as we live together but my income is much less

As above, if your husband chooses not to participate in your son's Student Finance application, then your son will only get the minimum Maintenance Loan which will definitely not be enough to live on. It will probably fall short of his uni accommodation bill by quite a way - it isn't generous.

If you can't afford to top up your son's funding by yourself to the point where he could survive if he took on a part-time job (pretty common amongst uni students these days), then the only alternative is for your son's biological father to make up the shortfall voluntarily.

Either that, or your son can put off going to uni until he's 25. At that point he will be assessed as an independent student and your current husband's income will be irrelevant. It would give him the advantage of working for a few years and maybe getting some savings behind him.

Unfortunately, your current husband took on more responsibilities than just you.
Original post by Klix88

Either that, or your son can put off going to uni until he's 25. At that point he will be assessed as an independent student and your current husband's income will be irrelevant. It would give him the advantage of working for a few years and maybe getting some savings behind him.

If he's 18, he could work full time for 3 years and apply that way.
Reply 4
Original post by Tiger Rag
If he's 18, he could work full time for 3 years and apply that way.

That's a good point. Might be slightly complicated if he stays living with Mum/stepdad - he'll need to prove that he's not only been earning above the £7500 guide theshold each year, but that he's been entirely self-supporting for that time. It'll take a lot of careful paperwork/record keeping to show that he's paying them a market rent for his room, buying all his own food, paying an equal share of bills etc. Should be doable with some forward planning though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending