The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They're worn very often: at least once a term for subject dinners, balls, sports team/music society dinners etc. You'll probably wear it more if you're in lots of societies or play lots of sports.

So yeah, buy a tux. You can find jacket and trousers for about £150, and dress shirt/bow tie will be about £35. It might seem a lot, but either you go to black tie events in a lounge suit, or hire every time - the former is uncomfortable and the latter is expensive!

You're right, the key features are the satin lapels and stripes down the sides of the trousers, but no one will be checking to make sure you have bought the standard formal wear. Normal is three buttons on the jacket, but just go with what looks good! You get points for wearing something slightly different at black tie events.

Ask in a formal wear shop if you're unsure about any of these things. And consider some kind of waistcoat - not many people wear them, but if you can pull them off, they're pimped.
Reply 2
I've been told that a dinner jacket usually has only one button, not three. A lounge suit coat has three buttons.
Reply 3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_tie

It is worth getting one for definite, mine gets a wear a few times a year. As long as you don't massively put on or lose weight it will last a long time and only needs a few wears to make it cheaper than renting. Also then you don';t have to worry about spillages/getting it back on time as much
What do girls wear? Ball gowns?
Reply 5
Visiting_Babylon
What do girls wear? Ball gowns?

Depends - girls' dress is very flexible, often much to the frustration of the girls!

If it's a ball, then clearly ball gowns are the order of the evening. If it's a dinner, then usually not - a shorter cocktail dress, or even smart skirt/top. It depends very much on the occaision, and you should consult others attending the event in order to ascertain the level of formality.
Balls. If I'm honest, I hate all that. Ah well, a minor peccadillo!
Reply 7
Visiting_Babylon
Balls. If I'm honest, I hate all that. Ah well, a minor peccadillo!

It's good fun for your 1st year, but end up getting a bit repetitive by the end of 2nd year...
Reply 8
Worzo, are opera cloaks in fashion?
Reply 9
Lusus Naturae
Worzo, how would an opera cloak be received?

Depends on whether you could pull it off. If you could, it'd be awesome.

But I'm guessing most people couldn't and would just look like a prick who's spent a lot of money and is trying too hard.
It's probably worth waiting until you get to Cambridge before you buy the black tie suit, though. Many places have special offers around May Ball time- for example, I bought my DJ for £200 reduced from nearer £300 from Ryder and Ames. If you really want to splash out, Ede and Ravenscroft sell from £150 upwards- assuming you can buy an off-the-peg suit. If, according to the tailor, you're an "odd shape" like I am then they'd have to tailor it from £600 plus. I nearly had a heart attack.

In short, it's worth getting one. Boat Club dinners (if you're a member), society dinners, May Balls, general looking posh all require Black Tie so it's more cost effective to buy a set. Plus you can sell it at graduation if you're desparate for cash.
Reply 11
I'm presuming the shops that you mentioned sells them are in Cambridge? Don't think there's any of them shops by where I live (Liverpool). Any idea of where I can get them?

Also, what about buying online?
Reply 12
super_qi2
Also, what about buying online?

With the massive variety of shapes and sizes, and the variation of these between different designs, it tends to be a massive mistake with suits. You could end up with something that doesn't fit you at all, or fits in the suit but has short (or long) sleeves. Its never a good idea unless you know for sure that suit exactly fits you (ie you've tried it on in a shop).
What type of stuff would you have to wear for geneal college formals??
Reply 14
suit. sometimes maybe just shirt and tie? or maybe no tie?
Reply 15
Most colleges ask for at least shirt and tie though varying standards of maintaing this. The thing they care about is the gown

Except kings, where wearing anything but a black bag is forbidden
Reply 16
depends on the college - mine has formal everynight and just requires a gown- it's been known for girls (and probably guys as well) to turn up in bakinis and the like.
Reply 17
buy one button or two button ones. three buttons are crap.
Reply 18
Are the proper bow tie's better than the clip on ones?
Well, everyone should know how to tie a real bow tie. I can do it, but I'm rubbish at it. 'Tis getting better with practice, though.

The trick is to buy a clip on one and a tie on one- that way, you can swop the clip on one for the (untied) real one later on in the evening and no-one will be any the wiser.

That said, only cads, boundahs and rotters wear clip on bow ties :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending