The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I know how to revise for Lit now.

After having a chat with my teacher, I understand.

My initial issue was that there's no textbook to memorise like in History and Politics.

But now, I know the way. All I have to do is memorise the essays I write! And then through that I build up mental sections on symbolism, the characters, and everything.

Take the above essay on Gatsby, for example. It's all about Gatsby's tragic realisation, but there are also parts about the use of symbolism and important stuff about how Nick is untrustworthy as a narrator.

I think it was summarised quite well by my teacher: 'With the other subjects, you memorise from what you're given [the textbooks], but in Lit, you create the info that you memorise.'
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I think it was summarised quite well by my teacher: 'With the other subjects, you memorise from what you're given [the textbooks], but in Lit, you create the info that you memorise.'

Excellent summary! That's exactly it.

My teacher always says that for Lit there's not really a right or wrong answer, as long as you can justify it using the text to support your arguments.
Do you guys always link each paragraph to a tragic aspect?
'Explore the view that Willy's tragic isolation is largely caused by Linda's failure to understand him'

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458757886.905639.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458757914.675736.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458757947.761687.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458757991.213418.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458758060.102595.jpg

This got 22/25,probably my best essay so far tbh :lol: I'd love for a question like this to come up in the actual exam
Hey - I'm doing Tess of the d'Urbervilles, William Blake's 'Songs of Innocence and Experience' and Tom Stoppard's 'Arcadia'. Coursework is killing me tho!
Perhaps we could collaborate and create a series of questions in order to formulate some answers and inspire creative interpretations that would help us consider whatever questions appear on the papers?

Personally I'm taking The Great Gatsby, Death of a Salesman, Keats poetry and King Lear
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ZRSFizzyBongs
Perhaps we could collaborate and create a series of questions in order to formulate some questions and inspire creative interpretations that would help us consider whatever questions appear on the papers?

Personally I'm taking The Great Gatsby, Death of a Salesman, Keats poetry and King Lear

Good idea

Miller states that he believes the common man is as apt a subject for tragedy in its highest sense as kings were. How far is this true of Willy Loman?
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Good idea

Miller states that he believes the common man is as apt a subject for tragedy in its highest sense as kings were. How far is this true of Willy Loman?

You could suggest that it is true because both the common man and men of nobility experience a harmartia, Willy experiences a harmartia in which he delusionally believes that achieving the American dream is possible despite its futility.
Original post by Radmandy
You could suggest that it is true because both the common man and men of nobility experience a harmartia, Willy experiences a harmartia in which he delusionally believes that achieving the American dream is possible despite its futility.

To build on this idea, the focus on domestic figures such as Willy makes the audience relate more closely to the protagonist and perhaps even experience deeper emotion when watching a domestic tragedy as opposed to a classical tragedy. This was seen in the theatre after Death of a Salesman was first shown where men were gathering in groups and crying together, seeing themselves in the character of Willy Loman. After all, 'Loman' implies that Willy represents salesmen and business men in general.
Original post by CatusStarbright
After all, 'Loman' implies that Willy represents salesmen and business men in general.

I've heard that Miller said that that was just a coincidence.
Here are two essays for Death of a Salesman. I haven't gotten them marked yet, but I suspect they're pretty good. I mean that objectively, in that compared to my other essays, they feel like they're better-quality.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I've heard that Miller said that that was just a coincidence.

Hmm I didn't know that. I wonder how he did choose the name then.
I'm doing exactly the same except as you except, we're doing the tragedy anthology poems instead of Hardy's. :smile:

Saaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmeeeeeeee!!!!!! Are you doing the Keats???
Original post by ZRSFizzyBongs
Perhaps we could collaborate and create a series of questions in order to formulate some answers and inspire creative interpretations that would help us consider whatever questions appear on the papers?

PLEASE help me with Keats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi, I'm doing Othello, Gatsby, Keats and Death of a Salesman.
I have been revising for a while now and I have been formulating tables that summarise each point (themes/symbols/tragedy etc) but I still feel like I need help with the essay side of things, ive been reading through the essays on here and they are fantastic! Are there any good points that you can give me and help me!!! I have more mocks in lit coming soon and I want to aim for A's.
Original post by Chris-Graham
PLEASE help me with Keats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have some notes and my teacher suggested Keatsian.co.uk which has helped me a lot it goes into symbols and themes and gives you some points for AO5
Original post by lewistodd24
I have some notes and my teacher suggested Keatsian.co.uk which has helped me a lot it goes into symbols and themes and gives you some points for AO5

Omg can I PM you now pls
Saaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmeeeeeeee!!!!!! Are you doing the Keats???

No, we're doing the tragedy anthology poems.
No, we're doing the tragedy anthology poems.

Same?? But Keats is in tragedy?
Same?? But Keats is in tragedy?

Not in the anthology selection. It's the Keats selection you're doing.

Latest

Trending

Trending