The Student Room Group

AQA A-level English Literature B new 7717/1B & 7717/2B - 15 & 22 Jun 2017

Hi,

I decided to create this thread because I haven't been able to find a thread on this, seeing as it is a new syllabus. The specification is: 7716/7717 and the exam board is AQA.

The texts I am studying at AS-Level are: Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Othello, Death of a Salesman and the AQA anthology of selected Thomas Hardy poems.

The poems are: A Sunday Morning Tragedy, At an Inn, Tess's Lament, Under the Waterfall, Lament, Rain on a Grave, Your Last Drive, The Going, The Haunter, At Castle Boterel, A Trampwoman's Tragedy, The Frozen Greenhouse, The Forbidden Banns, The Mock Wife, The Flower's Tragedy, After a Journey and The Newcomer's Wife.

At A2, the texts I am studying are: Hamlet. Atonement and The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Also, we are learning a unit called 'Elements of Crime Writing'.

In the two papers, the first paper is for Othello (whole text and extract) and a comparison between Tess of the d'Urbervilles and Death of a Salesman. In paper two, there is an unseen extract from a crime text which we analyse, using what was learnt in the unit. Section B and C are based on Hamlet, Atonement and The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. For Section B, our class has been told to answer the question using Hamlet, so that it becomes a whole text question. However, for section C, we answer a question comparing The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Atonement.

Also, I did my coursework, which was two essays. One was about Thomas Hardy's narrative techniques and the one I chose was pathetic fallacy. My question was: the process of pathetic fallacy is fundamental to the shapes of Hardy's meanings. For my second essay, we would do any text on either Marxism or postcolonialism. I chose postcolonial and my novel was Half of a Yellow Sun. My question was: in Half of a Yellow Sun, the power of the coloniser relies on the oppressed state of the colonised, inevitably result in their removal of rights.

What about you? Is there anything that's the same or different?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing exactly the same except as you except, we're doing the tragedy anthology poems instead of Hardy's. :smile:
Original post by CatusStarbright
I'm doing exactly the same except as you except, we're doing the tragedy anthology poems instead of Hardy's. :smile:

Oh that's great, revision can be easier then :smile:
heya, I'm doing the same but the great gatsby rather than tess of the d'urbervilles which is ashamed because it is such a brilliant book !! what do you think about Hardys poetry the ballads are just heartbreaking.
Original post by bethanylunn1999
heya, I'm doing the same but the great gatsby rather than tess of the d'urbervilles which is ashamed because it is such a brilliant book !! what do you think about Hardys poetry the ballads are just heartbreaking.

I think that there are some poems which are really heartfelt like 'At Castle Boterel' and 'Under the Waterfall' is quite a nostalgic poem which I like. I think 'The Going' and 'Your Last Drive' are the ones that really break your heart. Same with 'The Haunter'. But not all of them are ballads, I'm not entirely sure.
We have a poem by Hardy in the tragedy anthology called 'The Convergence of the Twain' which is about the Titanic. We're going to study it this week.

Original post by cecilia.adekoya
Oh that's great, revision can be easier then :smile:

Have you finished Tess yet? We're going to be finishing reading it this week.
Yeah we've finished Tess, we're now on Hardy's poetry :smile:
Yeah we've finished Tess, we're now on Hardy's poetry :smile:

Ah, we're doing things simultaneously. We do Tess on Tuesdays, used to do Death of a Salesman on Thursdays, but we've finished it so now we do poetry, and on Fridays we do Othello.
We did it like that too - for the first term we did Tess on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays but on Mondays (I have a double period) and Fridays we did Othello. Now it's Death of a Salesman and Hardy's poetry.
I do the exact same texts as you. How are you finding it?
I'm so glad you find this forum :smile: I really liked Tess (there's just something about it), but I'm not a fan of the plays we are studying. Hardy's poems are incredibly sad probably because he is always looking back at his happy life with Emma. My favourites are: At Castle Boterel, Under the Waterfall and Your Last Drive.

What about you?
I'm so glad you find this forum :smile: I really liked Tess (there's just something about it), but I'm not a fan of the plays we are studying. Hardy's poems are incredibly sad probably because he is always looking back at his happy life with Emma. My favourites are: At Castle Boterel, Under the Waterfall and Your Last Drive.

What about you?

I like all the texts we're studying, but I have to say that I think Tess is my favourite too.
Original post by CatusStarbright
I like all the texts we're studying, but I have to say that I think Tess is my favourite too.

It's one of those books that has so many relatable themes, even in modern day
Yo

I'm doing Gatsby, Othello, Keats, and Death of a Salesman.

If you could post attach some essays on those that got you top marks, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'll post some of mine in a bit, but I don't have many very good ones.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Yo

I'm doing Gatsby, Othello, Keats, and Death of a Salesman.

If you could post attach some essays on those that got you top marks, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'll post some of mine in a bit, but I don't have many very good ones.

Good idea. I'm worried that I'm not being taught properly, so it'd be useful to compare essays and marks.
My essay book is in school so I'll try post some essays tomorrow
It's one of those books that has so many relatable themes, even in modern day

Especially the double standards when it comes to sex - if men sleep around they're a 'lad', but if women do it they're called all sorts of vulgar things. This is reflected in the wedding night of Tess and Angel where Angel expects Tess to forgive him for his fling and yet he cannot forgive her for what happened, even though he admits she was 'more sinned against then sinning'.
Here are two of my best essays. One's Othello and the other's Gatsby. The Othello one got 20/25, and the Gatsby one has yet to be marked.

Please, please share your best essays on Othello, Gatsby, Keats, and Death of a Salesman. I'll give personal rep!
The only essay of mine I have at home. This was my Othello mock paper-it got a C. I feel my teacher was too harsh? Idk

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458327831.530509.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458327869.783777.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458327901.384803.jpg

I'll upload my Death of a Salesman essay on Monday. It got 22/25
Hey, I'm doing Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Death of a Salesman & Othello too, but for poetry I'm doing Keats :smile: how is everyone revising for their exams? I'm not sure where to begin except to learn quotes for closed book texts!
Original post by mughushed
Hey, I'm doing Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Death of a Salesman & Othello too, but for poetry I'm doing Keats :smile: how is everyone revising for their exams? I'm not sure where to begin except to learn quotes for closed book texts!

Yeah I'm going for learning quotes and just doing endless practice questions. Discussing ideas with my friends who also take Lit is useful too, as then I can get several perspectives and interpretations of events/quotes to put in essays.

Latest

Trending

Trending