The Student Room Group
Not overly academic?! I think you're looking at the wrong places then! :wink:

Seriously though, King's looks like it would best fit your criteria.
Reply 2
I don't know about individual college reputations for Economics - best thing to do is check that they have a DoS for it, although I imagine they all will.

I would go for Queens' or King's, if you want relaxed. Jesus isn't bad either.
Reply 3
Queens' is supposed to be very good for economics, or they revelled in saying that in their economics handout thingy on their open day.
Reply 4
Isn't it a case of "teaching is centralised so no college is good and no college is bad for a subject"? That's what they told me at an Oxbridge conference when I asked.
Reply 5
Acaila
Isn't it a case of "teaching is centralised so no college is good and no college is bad for a subject"? That's what they told me at an Oxbridge conference when I asked.

I think they do it on how well their college does in economics final year exams each year *waits for correction*. The president of Queens' is an economist.
Reply 6
Acaila

Not strictly true - some colleges have very strong traditions in certain subjects and have excellent supervisors, others are not so good, but most are middle of the road, so essentially it's mainly true. Exceptional cases are stuff like Trinity for Maths, Caius for Medicine etc :rolleyes:
Reply 7
adk
Jesus, Queen's, King's, or St John's?

I want somewhere not overly academic as far as Camb colleges go, relaxed, with a good student nightlife, central, and of course, good for Econ.

Which would you recommend out of the above?

St. John's would be a good bet. Reasonably relaxed, central. Supposedly good for econ - it has a fairly high profile amongst the subjects here.
Reply 8
Helenia
Not strictly true - some colleges have very strong traditions in certain subjects and have excellent supervisors, others are not so good, but most are middle of the road, so essentially it's mainly true. Exceptional cases are stuff like Trinity for Maths, Caius for Medicine etc :rolleyes:

Well that's what I used to think. When I started thinking about Cam, my mum always said "You have to be sure and pick the right college for your subject". But then again I don't think my mum knows much about it :biggrin:
Reply 9
Acaila
Well that's what I used to think. When I started thinking about Cam, my mum always said "You have to be sure and pick the right college for your subject". But then again I don't think my mum knows much about it :biggrin:

No, it's far, far more important to pick the right college for you
Reply 10
Acaila

At the end of the day you attend the same lectures anyway.
Reply 11
Helenia
No, it's far, far more important to pick the right college for you

Don't worry I ignore my mum on these matters. I'm not heading off to some hideously academic place. I'm an SPS student wannabe dammit :biggrin:
Reply 12
I'd say Queen's or King's. All the colleges mentioned are very relaxed, but those two have the best ents, so if you are looking for a college based nightlife, they're the way to go. Re: economics, I have no clue what reputation King's has now, but is was where J. M. Keynes was a fellow.

Latest

Trending

Trending