The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don Quixote
The first question was almost impossible for me. I think I wrote too much for the first three and not enough for the last two. I only wrote a page and a half for the last one. What did you think?

you got this posted quickly :tongue:

lou xxx
Reply 2
I live 5 mins away from college and started at 1, others started at 2 for some reason. I need to know what everyone else thought.
Reply 3
Don Quixote
The first question was almost impossible for me. I think I wrote too much for the first three and not enough for the last two. I only wrote a page and a half for the last one. What did you think?

Hard, very hard. But not impossible. I think I made a fairly good stab at it. The last question was all about barriers to entry I thought at least. It was the 2nd one about stupid unethical behaviours that threw me lol.

A side and a half aint too bad. I ended up doing 9 sides over 5 questions, so its not too bad. Depends on your writing really.

Overally, I think it was hard but doable.

What was the first one again? I think I wrote about contingency planning.
Reply 4
thought it was aryt...tricky in places but not impsossible. How comes the paper was out of 84? isnt unit 6 meant 2 be out of 120?
Reply 5
ladoooo
thought it was aryt...tricky in places but not impsossible. How comes the paper was out of 84? isnt unit 6 meant 2 be out of 120?

Nah they scale it up.
Reply 6
I think it wasnt too bad the only problem was time. I knew what to write (except the question on ethics)but didnt have time. I started with 3rd question straight away cos when i looked at the first two i couldnt think of anyhting but by the time i naswered the 3rd one i was able to answer them.
For the first question i did about contingency planning ans crisis planning their advs disadvs and when they are used.
Second Q was a bitch so i just blagged it.
The next 3 were pretty good ones cos im doing economics i put quite a few concepts in, All in all this paper was better than unit 4 , have to wait till 19th of august to find out by how much :smile:
It was all easy.
I did 12 pages, and had to ask for extra to draw ninja cats on!
Reply 8
Iluvatar
It was all easy.
I did 12 pages, and had to ask for extra to draw ninja cats on!

I could not physically write 12 pages in an hour and a half!
*dave*
I could not physically write 12 pages in an hour and a half!

Well i did 10 in an hour yesterday, so i suppose its not really a big deal for me...
Reply 10
Iluvatar
Well i did 10 in an hour yesterday, so i suppose its not really a big deal for me...

do you have really big writing then?
I did 8 and my hand was killing you must be a very very fast writer , when i try to write really fast no one can understand what im wwriting - well not many ppl can anyway.
*dave*
do you have really big writing then?

No, fairly average size, i think.

lexazver203
I did 8 and my hand was killing you must be a very very fast writer , when i try to write really fast no one can understand what im wwriting - well not many ppl can anyway.

Well yeah, sort of, but years of gaming has stopped my hand from hurting with strenuous use.

My writing is always bad, no matter how slow i write, so i just write quickly and hope quantity and quality makes up for presentation.
Reply 13
I thought it was kinda hard, but I did my best - hopefully the mean will be fairly low this year.

1: Contingency planning Vs. crisis management
2. Ethics... supplied via mission statement, training into the culture
3. Forwards vertical growth... said that althought theres assimilation of objectives, this may not be the same with culture. Said about Stellos (easyJet owner) shift from manager to leader.. fast external growth - risky, depends on attitude to risk etc!
4. Intervention = able to lower unemployment, more demand in economy, thus create even more jobs than 40,000.. but depends on I.R. because if it goes up due to economic growth - less disposable income for luxury goods such as flying... regional policy for north Wales which is generally economically deprived..
5. Barriers to entry - financial (Airbus and Boeing can undercut them with predatory pricing), hard to obtain startup capital, marketing - hard to develop USP... personnel - demotivated because they feel like they are working for the 3rd best in the shadow of Airbus etc - less productive etc

Everyone put down more or less the same?
Reply 14
Iluvatar - thanks for your notes, they were a great help BTW!
James_W
I thought it was kinda hard, but I did my best - hopefully the mean will be fairly low this year.

1: Contingency planning Vs. crisis management
2. Ethics... supplied via mission statement, training into the culture
3. Forwards vertical growth... said that althought theres assimilation of objectives, this may not be the same with culture. Said about Stellos (easyJet owner) shift from manager to leader.. fast external growth - risky, depends on attitude to risk etc!
4. Intervention = able to lower unemployment, more demand in economy, thus create even more jobs than 40,000.. but depends on I.R. because if it goes up due to economic growth - less disposable income for luxury goods such as flying... regional policy for north Wales which is generally economically deprived..
5. Barriers to entry - financial (Airbus and Boeing can undercut them with predatory pricing), hard to obtain startup capital, marketing - hard to develop USP... personnel - demotivated because they feel like they are working for the 3rd best in the shadow of Airbus etc - less productive etc

Everyone put down more or less the same?

Hmm... similar

1) Contingency planning - potential strategies - Ansoff strategy as a decision making tool
2) Ethics - Mission statement, company culture, image of no hypocracy + investment and effectiveness of discovering unethical behaviour
3) Vertical integration - Larger resources in expanding markets, Adv to future R&D, but lack of knowledge, high initial costs, current ownership resistance and effect on company image of Boeing
4)Interventionalist Vs Laissez faire strategy. Disputes over which is correct + current government stance. Promoting economic growth as current goal of labour government.
A loan public vs private financing, and difference between england loaning money and America giving contracts - unfair practices reducing fair trade, as limited demand for products Vs many potential investors.
5)Barriers to entry - initial start up costs. Hard to obtain finances without large scale co-operation.
Purchase of experience in sector almost impossible Vs only difficult for capital investment. Competing with reputation and R&D in the big two, but the big two may be stagnant and uninnovative, so exploitable opportunity for USP.
James_W
Iluvatar - thanks for your notes, they were a great help BTW!

No problem whatsoever.
Reply 17
Seems like we did quite well!

2. "effectiveness of discovering unethical behaviour"

Yeh - I wrote about the firm weighing up the chance of media catching up with them and placing them under scrutiny (which is likely being aircrafts cos of terroist attacks... media focus on safety etc etc) - and they need to see whether this is worth it compared to the investment in ethical behaviour.
Reply 18
well that was a bundle of fun! I don't think it went too badly, everyone seemed to find it reaaaally hard. i jsut kind of trundled through it!

Iwrote about contingency planning for the first one...and also about how they could persuade the government to intervene with some random policy to counteract the changes in demand. bla bla bla...it was all wrong but i couldnt think of a lot else to say and decided something was better than nothing. hopefully mgiht have picked up a few application marks.

the questions were a bit random really. Like the take-over one.....erm what?! i didnt have a clue about that so wrote some random malarky

I also got stuck on the alst question....I remember writing something about how it would be hard to penetrate a market dominated by two large companies, but that airbus managed it when it was jsut boeing monopolising it. So hopefully might have some nice handy evaluation marks!!!

all in all a bit hard, but should have done ok with my random ramblings!!!
Reply 19
Here's what I put:

1. Contingency plans eg build corporate image with funds diverted from maintaining planes when they're not used and lay off jobs in the short term, possible high redundancies and skilled staff need to be found again when needed. Decision making tree as a tool only as reliable as the data it is based on.

2. More complex organisational structure. Focusing staff on objectives. Motivating staff. Delegation difficult. Airbus might continue gaining market share and make promoting Dreamliner more difficult. Problem worsened when there is another part of the business to worry about. Can increase Boeing presence at Easyjet airports.

3. Mission statement. It needs to be updated regularly to change with the times. Larger firms are taller and communication problems, staff motivation issues and a lack of coordination can lead some sections away from the business' values. Supervision. Demotivation staff feel distrusted. Management can use unethical tactics for immoral goals, reflecting it on their workforce. Although media can expose immoral firms, good publicity is good for the firm (advertising, motivates staff). A number of sources of unethical behaviour, feasibly only a few can be guarded against.

4. Decision dependent on something and political party in power. Tories and other parties prob wouldnt have funded Airbus. Maybe motivated to establish power, not explicitly said by Blair. Government can say its an investment in the future, creating wealth etc. Pressure groups can hightlight environmental damage (eg Greenpeace) and say its because of political rather than ethical reasons. People may see conflict with manifesto claims to help education and health service. Bad state of education and NHS means they might be preffered or more moral. Rightness depends mainly on political leanings but given the unpredictable business climate of the airliner industry, the decision was wrong and would have been more worthwhile invested in tangible, quantifiable things like edu and nhs.

5. Sources of finance, security (from take over, miscommunication, poor motivation. Finance from another business' profits only viable source. And some other stuff I can't be bothered to type.

What do you think? I thought it was different from everyone else's - and not in a good way.

Latest

Trending

Trending