The Student Room Group

Rejected for studying medicine and offered pharmacy with foundation year

Hi everyone, I need your advise on this situation. Right from childhood I never thought of what I want to become in the future until I got to level 3 of my course in health and social care and then I decided that I would love to be a medical doctor from one of units which is anatomy and physiology. But me doing a Btec is a disadvantage for me but I could do some foundation years. But disappointedly some criteria are against me and I mean the contextual criteria. Also my college send in my application later which really affected me as well and made all universities say I am not suitable. But my last choice at university of East Anglia offered me pharmacy with foundation year instead of medicine with foundation year because I didn't fit in their contextual criteria. Also family pressure of not being allowed to go to another college to do an access course instead I have to go to the university or I will be sent packing out of the house. To avoid that I have accepted any course being pushed to me and got an interview in the pharmacy with foundation year in East Anglia on the 19th of March. But I need your advise to know if I do that course I could apply for the GEM in post graduate after or I should just do the foundation year and while I am doing it I should reapply for medicine in 2017. Please I need your advise because I am in such a dilemma of pressure and my career choice.
You could apply for GEM with a Pharmacy degree but GEM is a difficult road to go down, it costs a lot of money. I don't think there's any point doing Pharmacy unless it truly interests you. Why won't your family allow you to go to a different college?

There is a lot of helpful information about GEM and alternative routes into medicine (including studying abroad) in the Medicine forum.
I'd also be very very sure in what you want to go into.

I was offered Healthcare Science when I couldn't get into Vet Med, and now I'm here, on another gap year with debt for a course I don't want to do. It's really not fun, and not worth the stress to pick something you don't want to do :frown:

Graduate entry is incredibly expensive as well, and very hard to get in to. It's definitely an option and not impossible if you are willing, but you would need to contact the universities to see their requirements. What exact qualifications do you have ifyou don't mind me asking? :smile:
Reply 3
You know as my culture as Africans we have got very strict parents and also thanks for your advice I would look through again. But don't you think instead of staying at home I could just do that foundation year and dirt myself out for medicine during that time
Reply 4
Original post by LadyEcliptic
I'd also be very very sure in what you want to go into.

I was offered Healthcare Science when I couldn't get into Vet Med, and now I'm here, on another gap year with debt for a course I don't want to do. It's really not fun, and not worth the stress to pick something you don't want to do :frown:

Graduate entry is incredibly expensive as well, and very hard to get in to. It's definitely an option and not impossible if you are willing, but you would need to contact the universities to see their requirements. What exact qualifications do you have ifyou don't mind me asking? :smile:

The qualifications I have got are GCSE grades A-C including maths, English and science but that science is biology only. I did a Btec extended diploma in health and social care. It's quite rear to see a university that will offer a student with my grades it's just a try if luck through the foundation years.
Original post by Hesther01
You know as my culture as Africans we have got very strict parents and also thanks for your advice I would look through again. But don't you think instead of staying at home I could just do that foundation year and dirt myself out for medicine during that time

You mean apply for medicine once you've completed the Pharmacy foundation year? You could in theory, but there is absolutely no guarantee that a university would consider it, plus you'd lose a year of your student finance entitlement. Far too risky in my opinion.
Original post by Hesther01
The qualifications I have got are GCSE grades A-C including maths, English and science but that science is biology only. I did a Btec extended diploma in health and social care. It's quite rear to see a university that will offer a student with my grades it's just a try if luck through the foundation years.

There are extended year courses I think?
For disadvantaged students, of those that don't have the usual sciences for A level. They are called gateway programmes and last the 6 years instead of 5, I know its there for veterinary but it's worth checking if that exists for medicine.
Reply 7
Original post by Snufkin
You mean apply for medicine once you've completed the Pharmacy foundation year? You could in theory, but there is absolutely no guarantee that a university would consider it, plus you'd lose a year of your student finance entitlement. Far too risky in my opinion.

Really I didn't know. I am just confused and don't know what to do
Reply 8
Original post by LadyEcliptic
There are extended year courses I think?
For disadvantaged students, of those that don't have the usual sciences for A level. They are called gateway programmes and last the 6 years instead of 5, I know its there for veterinary but it's worth checking if that exists for medicine.

Alright, thanks

Quick Reply

Latest