The Student Room Group

Should I reject my unconditional?

I really want to study English Lit and Creative Writing together as a joint degree. I've now heard back from all of my 5 choices, with no rejections, so yay! But there's a catch.

One university has rejected me for lit with creative writing, but given me an offer for just lit, which will be upgraded to an unconditional if I firm.

Whilst that is amazing and would take so much pressure off, I really love creative writing. I understand I can still pick creative writing modules anyway, but the thing that really appeals to me about a joint course is that instead of doing a dissertation, I can do a creative writing project. If I do straight lit, that is taken away.

Would I be wasting an opportunity if I rejected the unconditional, even if I don't really want to do the subject it's for? I'm afraid that if I accept it, I'll hate the course, but if I reject it, I'll fail my A Levels and be stuck with nowhere to go
Original post by supernerdural
I really want to study English Lit and Creative Writing together as a joint degree. I've now heard back from all of my 5 choices, with no rejections, so yay! But there's a catch.

One university has rejected me for lit with creative writing, but given me an offer for just lit, which will be upgraded to an unconditional if I firm.

Whilst that is amazing and would take so much pressure off, I really love creative writing. I understand I can still pick creative writing modules anyway, but the thing that really appeals to me about a joint course is that instead of doing a dissertation, I can do a creative writing project. If I do straight lit, that is taken away.

Would I be wasting an opportunity if I rejected the unconditional, even if I don't really want to do the subject it's for? I'm afraid that if I accept it, I'll hate the course, but if I reject it, I'll fail my A Levels and be stuck with nowhere to go

Go with the course/uni you like the most, don't go with a uni just because you got an unconditional offer. It's not the end of the world if you don't get the grades required- your firm or insurance may be able to let you in anyway and if not you can go through clearing or retake and reapply. I retook my A-levels and reapplied and found that the vast majority of unis, including most RG unis, didn't care that I was retaking and I got offers from 2 RG and one other 'older' uni.
Original post by jelly1000
Go with the course/uni you like the most, don't go with a uni just because you got an unconditional offer. It's not the end of the world if you don't get the grades required- your firm or insurance may be able to let you in anyway and if not you can go through clearing or retake and reapply. I retook my A-levels and reapplied and found that the vast majority of unis, including most RG unis, didn't care that I was retaking and I got offers from 2 RG and one other 'older' uni.

Remember A-levels have changed for most humanity subjects. If you are entered for the 2 years and fail it, then you have to resit the whole two years, rather than take individual units!
Would you be able to choose to study Creative Writing modules at the 'unconditional' university, through electives? Might it be possible to change your degree course after a term, or a year, at this university? Are you in a position to ask the university directly?

Quick Reply

Latest