The Student Room Group

Sensitive and bleeding gums

Hi so I have a throat/tonsil infection and a UTI and I'm on a course of antibiotics to deal with the problem after seeing the doctor. I am also taking ibuprofen (and some paracetemol) to help with the pain.

I have also noted that my gum has been increasingly sensitive and when brushing my teeth, I have noticed blood in the saliva I spit into the sink.

I don't think this is a cause for concern. I would guess that my entire oral cavity might have been affected and my gums might have gotten a little inflamed due to the bacteria causing my other symptoms. It doesn't feel like a second issue and another visit to the GP.

Any advice?

At this moment in time, I plan to see if the symptoms stop past the 7 day course and of course if they grow worse, seek medical attention.

Edit: it is a bit difficult to completely close jaw due to the inflammation but that's a mild inconvenience.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Hi so I have a throat/tonsil infection and a UTI and I'm on a course of antibiotics to deal with the problem after seeing the doctor. I am also taking ibuprofen (and some paracetemol) to help with the pain.

I have also noted that my gum has been increasingly sensitive and when brushing my teeth, I have noticed blood in the saliva I spit into the sink.

I don't think this is a cause for concern. I would guess that my entire oral cavity might have been affected and my gums might have gotten a little inflamed due to the bacteria causing my other symptoms. It doesn't feel like a second issue and another visit to the GP.

Any advice?

At this moment in time, I plan to see if the symptoms stop past the 7 day course and of course if they grow worse, seek medical attention.

Edit: it is a bit difficult to completely close jaw due to the inflammation but that's a mild inconvenience.

If it's only a small ammount when brushing i'd say you're right with waiting a while ans seeing how it goes. Just check it's not something listed in the leaflet for anyting you're taking.
Blood when brushing can happen occasionally anyway and if it's only a small and not often it isn't really a concern.

If you're not feeling better in a few days or the bleeding gets worse check back in with your dr and be sure to mention your concern. In the meantime you could also call 111 or see your pharmacist just to confirm.
Reply 2
Sometimes bleeding is indicative of rough brushing, as well as inflammation.

I know I should floss more often, but when I go a couple weeks without, and then go back to flossing, my gums bleed.

If this bleeding persists, get checked out. haha
If it's just when your brushing, it might be early signs of gum disease. I was told by my dentist to brush a little more where it bleeds (apparently that helps brush out more bacteria?) and try something like sensodyne, cause sensitive teeth might also be a sign of a receding gum line. It might also be you brushing too hard?

If your antibiotics allow it, I would try corsydol. It helped a lot with me, but your dentist is the best to talk to about it if you are worried :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest